Gunco Forums banner

Any inexpensive Blackout barrles out there?

4K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Frogman 
#1 ·
I wanted to build a little hunting rifle and since I like to reload I was wondering about doing a 300 Blackout with a 16" barrel. I saw that CMMG has a barrel for sale on Midway USA for like $200 but wondered if there were any other inexpensive ones available?

#3 ·
haven't seen any yet.

i keep hearing that DSA is going to sell some. they did have some uppers not that long ago for $300 and even less--

i figure as soft as the AR market is --they will turn up somewhere.
I had read about DSA doing the 300 Blackout thing and tried to find it on their site with no luck. Actually the CMMG 16" barrel is about what I would like since it's melonited. I'd like to use one of those heavy DPMS Lo-Pro upper receivers since they seem to be really stiff/strong. I've seen the receivers at JSE --- DPMS Lo Pro Upper Receiver --- and the gas system is the carbine length so I'll just buy that stuff at Brownells. I get kinda cheap when it comes to handguards so I'm not sure what the heck I'll do there -- maybe just a Magpul MOE handguard since this is just going to be mostly a pig rifle.

#4 ·
J427x, I found that DSA 300 Blackout.

I checked the DSA site and found this; DSA ZM4 Forged 7075T6 A3 AR15 Upper Receiver; 300AAC - DSZM4CBU300SS-D S Arms
The parts look good but I don't have any use for the front sight. I believe there was word that they will be selling just the barrels also -- in the future. I believe I read that they will sell a Bolt/carrier group head spaced to the barrel for an extra $110 over the price of the upper.

#5 ·
i really been torn between a traditional ar and a 300 aac blackout myself. find one let me know please. im surprizes the military hasnt got contractors cranked up on the 300 aac yet.everything about it makes me think... why didnt they come up with it sooner?

#6 ·
it ain't that big a deal to press out the pins in the FSB--

you might call DSA and see if they will sell you one with a gas block instead of a front sight. they might just sell you a barrel if you ask the right person nice.

just cause it ain't on their web page don't mean they don't have it you might get lucky.

by the time you buy all the stuff to roll your own upper your probably going to have at least what DSA is charging for the stainless steel model.

it is tough to make an odd cal AR upper for three bills--in stainless steel no less-- it probably has an odd thread on the flash hider to boot ==a few extra $$$!

if i was not ass deep in AR-15s right now i would seriously be checking out the blackout in stainless--

but i got a 6.5G and TWO 7.62x39 uppers ( yea i trying to talk myself out of one)--LOL!

#7 ·
it ain't that big a deal to press out the pins in the FSB--

you might call DSA and see if they will sell you one with a gas block instead of a front sight. they might just sell you a barrel if you ask the right person nice.

just cause it ain't on their web page don't mean they don't have it you might get lucky.

by the time you buy all the stuff to roll your own upper your probably going to have at least what DSA is charging for the stainless steel model.

it is tough to make an odd cal AR upper for three bills--in stainless steel no less-- it probably has an odd thread on the flash hider to boot ==a few extra $$$!

if i was not ass deep in AR-15s right now i would seriously be checking out the blackout in stainless--

but i got a 6.5G and TWO 7.62x39 uppers ( yea i trying to talk myself out of one)--LOL!
I thought I post it here but I can't find it now -- Seems DSA posted on another site that they will be selling the barrels (I hope the stainless ones) for around $180! They said they would be available sometime this month.

#8 ·
ok lests see what a $180 barrel will cost to build.

i am going to assume it is a standard barrel like DSA usually sells with the front sight, barrel nut and so on assembled.

so $180 for the barrel
$60 for the stripped upper from DSA
$9 for the delta ring
$7 for the ejection port cover kit
$10 for the forward assist kit
$ 5 for the front sight post kit
$12 for the flash hider
$ 2 for the sling assembly
$ 10 for the gas tube
$10 for hand-guards

now i come up with $305 not counting your going to have to ship from a couple places and the additional shipping is going to eat up anything you might save and then some.

closing details the 300 blackout barrel likely has and odd thread for the flash hider finding one will be a chore and it will be a bit more expensive that standard
this is not included in our cost estimate --my educated guess would be add $10-$15 to the home build cost--

now DSA will sell you a built upper with a stainless steel barres assembled for $315

i am at $305 for just parts not including having to find that might be "odd-threaded ' 300aac blackout FH .

even if you have to press off the front sight and add a gas block your probably still ahead on cost to just buy the upper.

that is unless you have a bunch of the parts in your parts bin to work with that you won't have to buy--

#9 ·
ok lests see what a $180 barrel will cost to build.

i am going to assume it is a standard barrel like DSA usually sells with the front sight, barrel nut and so on assembled.

so $180 for the barrel
$60 for the stripped upper from DSA
$9 for the delta ring
$7 for the ejection port cover kit
$10 for the forward assist kit
$ 5 for the front sight post kit
$12 for the flash hider
$ 2 for the sling assembly
$ 10 for the gas tube
$10 for hand-guards

now i come up with $305 not counting your going to have to ship from a couple places and the additional shipping is going to eat up anything you might save and then some.

closing details the 300 blackout barrel likely has and odd thread for the flash hider finding one will be a chore and it will be a bit more expensive that standard
this is not included in our cost estimate --my educated guess would be add $10-$15 to the home build cost--

now DSA will sell you a built upper with a stainless steel barres assembled for $315

i am at $305 for just parts not including having to find that might be "odd-threaded ' 300aac blackout FH .

even if you have to press off the front sight and add a gas block your probably still ahead on cost to just buy the upper.

that is unless you have a bunch of the parts in your parts bin to work with that you won't have to buy--
As usual-well said!

#11 ·
I keep hearing about the 300 blackout but don't know anthing about it. What is a standard caliber comparison to it? And are the reloading components still a bit hard to find? Reasonabilly priced? The ammo prices is a major thing that has kept me away from what I'd refer to as a wild-cat chamberings. I've had many in the past and many just seemed to fade away with no access to components after a short time. Always a concern to me, I'd hate to build up something just to end up with no ammo for it, been there done that. If I wanted a club, I'd just cut a branch off a tree otherwise. And that's what you'd end up with, without access to reasonibly priced ammo. I still got a few wid-cat "target clubs " haning on the wall or hiding in the safe. Not very handy to have.

#12 ·
i figure it is a decent round. sort of like the 300 whisper --just made on the much more common 5.56 case.

it preforms a lot like a 300w or 7.62x39 from what i have herd. it is a less involved swap that a 7.62x39 cause you don't need a special bolt or mags.

last i saw was $14 a box of 20

the 300B is the in thing for those running a can i'll bet. don't know what is going to happen with the round.

no matter how good a new round is it may never get common enough to be cheap.

look at the 6.5 & 6.8spc, very good rounds for the AR--do about everything better than 5.56 , less 6.5g wolf steel case ever arrives--we looking at $13 a box from now on.

#13 ·
The whole thing started because JD jones owns some rights to the 300 wisper.. and he is such a ass he will/would not sell the barrels with out a complete upper $1500 etc... so people wanted a round that would work in the 5.56 upper with off the shelf parts...ie.. bolts mags etc.. with out paying JD jones..huge dough.. that would work well with a Sound suppressor.. AKA Can.. I'd rather have a 450 bushmaster or socom, and suppress that round..like redjacket did..but to each their own.. B2B

#14 ·
The blackout uses the ar10 muzzle threads. The price of ammo keeps dropping and 7 ammo manufacturers are making rounds or starting production. The blackout supersonics are loaded a little hotter then the whispers and you can shoot whisper ammo in a blackout but not the otherway around. (Think 5.56 vs .223). My 8 year old hunts with the blackout and it is very effective. If I didnt hold a lot of 5.56 ammo and weapons I would probably go straight blackout. Also the black develops most of its velocity in the first 9" barrels making sbr and pistol builds very effwctive as well. Reloading supplies are becoming very common. I there are 3 basic twists. 1-10 is some of the older(oldest) and will generally stabilize up to 208 gr. 1-8 was the standard twist, it works for 110 to 220 gr. Now they are coming in one and 7 twist for up to 247 gr. If you are looking for hunting and home defense, any twist above is good. If you want to suppress and want the maximum out of the black go 1-7 with 247. Barnes is coming out with a 110 gr solid that has very impressive test results against media.

#15 ·
I built one and love it. I got the CMMG barrel from Midway and a set of dies to reload. It is great and I smile everytime i shoot it. Taking it hog hunting in Texas next week can't wait. I will get a can for it this year also. Got the brake from Amazon.com its a octagon brake and all in all it works great.

Paul

#17 ·
Box of 20 UMC 125 gr plinkers is down to $10.80. This just keeps getting better and better. Im thinking of a SBR krink in 300, better ballistics then 5.45, 5.56, and 7.62 out of a stubby bbl. I have the spare 5.56 parts.....

A couple of companies are sizing, trimming and reaming the pockets on your used 5.56 brass for about .05 a round. This takes the most tedious tasks away from the hand loader.and for cheap too.

#19 ·
4d reamer rental
300 black and head space guages, $38
Green mountian blank,$29-97
Bbl extension $21
Gas block $30
So if you have a lathe, the barrels are pretty darn cheap. I pulled 2 10" and one 7" out of a 27" $97 blank and a couple 14.5" to 18" hunting bbls pretty cheap.

Of course if you dont have a lathe....

#20 ·
The 300 blackout sounds very interesting. I've been less than thrilled with hunting using my 5.56 in the thick woods of deep East Texas. There is seldom that nice clean, clear shot, whether it's deer, hogs or varmits. I like the performance of my 308 bolt, but I'm really not wanting to move to the AR-10 platform. And yes, I too, worry that it might be a round that goes away like other fads have done.

#25 ·
I just assembled a 300 Blackout AR using an upper from Red X Arms. 16 inch stainless steel and fluted. 1/10 twist. Using UMC 115 grain plinker ammo I was grouping 5 shots at 1 3/8 inch at 50 yards and 2 1/8 inch at 100 on the first trip to the range. Each group had 3 shots that could be covered by a nickel. Poor shooting on my part with the flyers plus my trigger was feeling REALLY stiff and gritty. I think this upper could perform a lot better once broke in and a little more patience/practice on my part.

#26 ·
its getting more popular all the time, dont know if its because ya always wanted a 7.62x39 but didnt want the hassle or what. they are even selling brass that been converted and the hit list seems to keep growing. if it wasnt for the 7.62 being a tappered round it probably would have found more favor.

#28 ·
These guy's usually have them in stock ( 300 Bk inventory) but there out right now at very good prices - Palmetto State Armory - it worth checking them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.