Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Musings- Homemade Sheetmetal AR Lower?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

That's what I was thinking 427. Maybe a hybrid FCG between AR/AK. I was trying to think about the wings on the AK hammer that the trigger hooks onto. It would be simple if there was enough width in the AR bolt carrier slot for the AK hammer to swing through it's full arc and hit the firing pin, but I don't think it's wide enough. Of course I'm at work without the parts in front of me to measure. Maybe use a PSL style hammer with the single wing, and offset the trigger just a little so that there is room for the one left wing to arc up through the carrier slot?
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    That's what I was thinking 427. Maybe a hybrid FCG between AR/AK. I was trying to think about the wings on the AK hammer that the trigger hooks onto. It would be simple if there was enough width in the AR bolt carrier slot for the AK hammer to swing through it's full arc and hit the firing pin, but I don't think it's wide enough. Of course I'm at work without the parts in front of me to measure. Maybe use a PSL style hammer with the single wing, and offset the trigger just a little so that there is room for the one left wing to arc up through the carrier slot?

yea--what makes it hard is trying to make the stock AR lower parts work.

make the lower parts FOR the type of lower with the pins, springs , hammers and triggers made to fit what ya are working with --that is the ticket.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

May sound stupid, but I've been sitting here this morning trying to come up with a way in my mind that the average homebuilder could make a bent sheetmetal lower receiver that utilized standard AR components, and would mate up with a standard AR complete upper? Doesn't necessarily need to look like your standard milled lower mind you. Maybe like an AK style grip and trigger guard, weld on buffer tube mount, steel blocks welded or riveted in as structural members to hold the width, and to support the upper pivot pins, sheet metal magwell utilizing standard AR mag release. Seems doable in my mind, if not necessarily practical. One of those "do it because you can, not because you have to" kinda things. I think it would be an interesting experimental build. Kinda cool to make your own lower, and it not be like an 80% lower that you finished, but actually built completely.

Am I totally out in left field? Is there some critical piece of the engineering puzzle that I'm not thinking about, that's a show stopper? Not necessarily saying that I'm gonna build it, just trying to figure out if it's possible.

What say you, O great AR gurus?
    iB::Topic::A take on the 0% lower: sheet metal!
    Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Thanks Gunny, but it won't let me search without being a registered member. Can you provide a direct link to the thread? TIA,

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thanks Gunny, but it won't let me search without being a registered member. Can you provide a direct link to the thread? TIA,
    can't make it direct for some reason
    Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Well, I guess I'll just have to join another gun board. LOL. I just hate joining some of them to go look at one thing, never to return.

By the way, I love your signature!! Ron Paul for President!!!!!!!!!!!

Update: They require $10.00 to join. Sorry, I understand they need operating capital, and am not knocking them in any way, but I'm not paying just so I can go look at something I may or may not use in "my" build. Oh well. Thanks for trying Gunny.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Bellson, I found your old thread on the Freedom Rifle, titled "A new rifle design", and have been reading it. Its an awesome thread so far. I plan to do some more research on it. Thanks!!!

Coils, I have always known the name AR180, but had no clue what it was. Never seen one. Looked it up on Wikipedia, and that was a good read. If the AK platform hadn't already been ingrained into the 3rd World culture by then, a stamped sheetmetal receiver rifle similar the the M16 probably could have taken off. Thanks for pointing that one out. I feel extremely ignorant when it comes to unusual or non mainstream firearms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Watching this one! Any progress?
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Hi 2nd,

Sadly, no pics.. This was in the heyday of the Kalifornia "Zip-Gun" enforcement...Kalifornia decided at one point in 1997 to crack down on home-builders by declaring the arms as "Zip-Guns". It failed due to supremacy, and because the firearms were patterned after "Real" guns as opposed to plumbing pipe .410 shotguns, etc. But I was VERY careful just the same.

The hardest part was the rear trunnion. I ended up making it out of steel, but it could have been done out of aluminum as well. I tried it, but my design was a bit too fragile for riveting. If I would have just designed it and treated it like an AK rear trunnion, it probably would have worked.

I think that we (all of us) should collaborate on this idea openly, and try to get to a workable design that can be home built. I agree, the costs would be next to nothing for the materials. If we could get one of us to bend up blanks for $15, and another to machine simple trunnions and center bars for $15, I think that complete lowers could be built for less than $60. Not much room for profit in there, but as a collaborative project and a stick our collective finger in Obammies' eye, it would be worth it.

Regards,

Bellson, you don't have any pics to go with your description do you? That sounds like it was a fun project, and I'm inspired knowing that it workd once all was said and done. That is too cool. I think I AM gonna try this. It won't be until later this year after I finish up a few other projects. I think it will be an interesting build, that truly shouldn't cost much in materials. Just lots of labor, which is perfect for me. (Gotta keep busy when I get home from work, or else I'd just sit in front of the TV and turn into a zombie.) I really appreciate you posting that. Very inspirational. Thanks!!!!

Rocster, that is some crazy sh*t!!!!!!! Lower made from a kitchen cutting board!!!! Hell, I thought I was nuts thinking about bent sheetmetal.

Thanks for the input KZ, and all of you guys. It's definitely going on the "must build" list.

BTW, I do have an M4 that I can get all of my dimensions from, as well as most of the raw material. Might even have a few AR parts left over to help. This is gonna be fun!!!!
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

I definitely like the idea of a collaboration Bellson. Get several of the regulars involved in engineering and manufacture of individual components.

First step if we want it to be a semi-production "kit" is to get one of our fine CAD operator type persons like Smartbomb to start putting together a file that we can work on to finalize dimensions, etc....

I am really looking forward to this project. Something new and interesting. Thanks for your help Bellson.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

ar sheet metal upper

sheet metal ar lower

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.