Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Musings- Homemade Sheetmetal AR Lower?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Jogged my memory yah I was a member and a contributing member at roderus homebuilders before the payment was required nonsense

yep Greymans build it was

TRX is right about the plastic, wood & etc lowers, but I keep reading threads about using the old tannery/other makes of cast lowers, claiming to be not satisfactory, on that note my tannery lowers have held up

sprat
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score

Has anyone tried using an AK lower (w/ AK .223 mags) adapted for the AR-15 upper ??? The front trunion would be a simple hinge block and the rear trunion would serve as the stock retainer fitting. Laying an AR upper on an AK lower should provide some useful insight as to mods.

VD

Feedback Score

I've been working on a sheet metal AR16 in 308 Winchester (AR16) design. I was planning to use an AR10 bolt (with n AR10 barrel) but the angle of the bolt cam pin with the position of the extractor makes it a difficult fit in a squared off bolt carrier. I think I may go to the round AR10 bolt carrier and the upper may be an AR10 upper or maybe a steel tube design.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Has anyone tried using an AK lower (w/ AK .223 mags) adapted for the AR-15 upper ??? The front trunion would be a simple hinge block and the rear trunion would serve as the stock retainer fitting. Laying an AR upper on an AK lower should provide some useful insight as to mods.

VD
    While that was kinda my original idea, I've been more looking at the AK receiver bending simplicity married to a more AR lower shape. Hard to explain, but I think you get what I mean.

I had originally thought of a straight AK receiver with a custom front and rear trunnion to handle the pinning of the upper, as well as a threaded block as part of the rear trunnion for the buffer tube assy. Then I was thinking of an AR mag adaptor, and AR fire control.

I've gotten away from that in my drawings now though. It will be a little more complicated, but should still be a simple thing for the home builder to do. I want to get all of my dimensions and plans written down, then see if I can get one of you pros out there to put it into an actual proffesional drawing format for everyone's use.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
    I've been working on a sheet metal AR16 in 308 Winchester (AR16) design. I was planning to use an AR10 bolt (with n AR10 barrel) but the angle of the bolt cam pin with the position of the extractor makes it a difficult fit in a squared off bolt carrier. I think I may go to the round AR10 bolt carrier and the upper may be an AR10 upper or maybe a steel tube design.
    The AR 180 and 180B use a square carrier.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ICuLB148bJ.../IMG_8857a.jpg
    Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by gunnysmith View Post
    The AR 180 and 180B use a square carrier.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ICuLB148bJ.../IMG_8857a.jpg
    Yes I know. I was originally planning a square receiver and machining a square bolt carrier but the AR10 bolt has the bolt cam pin near the top, instead on the side like the AR18 has. So now I think I might make it a round tube receiver and just use the factory AR10 bolt carrier. If I was going to make one in 223 I would use the H&K G36 bolt and go with a square receiver.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Search tags for this page

ar sheet metal upper

sheet metal ar lower

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.