Gunco Forums banner

What is the shortest bbl for an AR15?

4K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  akman1 
#1 ·
I was seeing these great looking AK74 pistols with, 3 to 4" bbls. What about an AR15? I know you would have to mod the gas set up. But, what the hell!
Maybe, 4 to 5"?

See less See more
#2 ·
generally about 7" for 5.56/223 though 4th is working on a AR-15 derringer in 5.56--LOL!

no limitation for pistol rounds in blow-back.

the deal with pistol cals running DI is there about the same length as a pistol barrel and i am thinking shorter would be better on the gas block with them.

now here is an idea for super short 5.56 like a 5"-- --go with a gas piston set up!

even the cheap gas piston kit has an adjustable gas block that could come in very handy--

#3 ·
Hell yeah! Thank you that's what I was thinking! cut down a piston operating rod to fit. I was thinking about doing that. Make the gas port hole bigger, than have an adjustable gas block. Use the gas it needs and, vent the rest. Thanks again for the tip and, info j427x

#9 ·
it might be possible to go "super-short" with the DI set up. that would require at least an adjustable gas block and more that likely some bolt carrier mods.

this path would likely be as expensive as the piston system and more fussy.

pistol cal conversions seem to be a natural for shorties running DI.

i been wanting to build a 45 super DI/gas pistol for some time now. mad-machinist makes all the stuff needed.

money is tight and other projects keep getting in the way. one day i am going to build a DI pistol in either 45 super of 357 sig.

357sig would be easy cause the 9mm mags and blocks will work--LOL

and a 357 sig would be mucho powerful--LOL

#21 ·
Damn...

It's a .223, one hell of a muzzle blast!
Snubnosed AR pistol in .223 - YouTube
Where you go akman.. We got to talk.. How the hell I miss this one?
Oh my God I want one.. Can you go shorter?
Friggen awesome.. Shoot me a p.m.. or have one of your Bros shoot one if you can not. Thank you.. Friggem awesome.. :scared:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.