Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 357AR

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If I get around to making the 357-5.45x39 round I most likely will make an undersized chamber reamer and make a sizing die, or try to modify a 5.45 die set. Either way it's a lot more work than using off the shelf die sets. Here's a pic of the five 357 reamer attemps including the screw ups. The top reamer is a 3-flute that I tempered too much and ended up too soft. The 2nd down is the reamer I chambered my test barrel with which was a 357 1-20" twist with a .346" bore and .356" groove diameter. The 3rd reamer down I feed in the wrong amount and knew it right away so I just used it as practice. The 4th reamer blank down I snagged the cross feed knob on my jacket pocket which caused it to feed in slightly and leave a mark on the begining of the rifling leade. The bottem reamer is the one I used to chamber the finished rifle in the pic which has a 1-14" twist, .350" bore and .358" groove diameter. A 1-20" barrel is supposed to stablize up to 160gr, and some 180s but not all. I wanted to shoot mainly 160-200gr so I went with the 1-14" twist. The headspace gauges were also easy to make for a straightwall case. I only made a go and no-go gauge since I'm chambering a new barrel. If the bolt ever closes on the no-go I'll make a field gauge. The bullets next to the gauges are top sierra 200gr rn, middle hornady 180gr psp, bottem hornady 158gr sjhp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Some crazy mad skills in this group! Nice work!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I finally got a chance to go and shoot the upper at paper. I kept the cheap red dot on the upper so this isn't really an accuracy test as much as it was a functioning test since the dot covered the target. My first impression firing from a bench was that it kicks more than a 223, but not a whole lot more. I'll need to work on the feed ramps a little as it isn't feeding as well as my test barrel was. I'll just have to look at the test barrel extension and modify this a little more like that one. The red dot was also a little low which caused me to have to contort in order to see the dot. I have a riser mount somewhere to bring it up to a more comfortable heigth. I'll also have to dig around to find what extra scopes I have laying around to see what kink of accuracy I'm getting. The 180gr feed well, but I was having trouble with the 158gr feeding smoothly. It shouldn't take much to get it feeding like the test barrel was though. My helper also was throwing a few 22s my way
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

humm-- it feeds the 180s but has a little issue with the 158s?

any short strokes with the 158s??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

No short stroking, the stubby 158s weren't sliding up the feed ramps smoothly. I was a little more conservative with the feed ramps on this barrel than I was on the test barrel. I just need to change the angle on the feed ramps a bit more and it should feed the 158's just as well as the test barrel did. The test barrel initially did the same thing until I got the angles right. I probably won't get to work on this barrel again until next week. I'll also have to load up some ammo since I shot it all off.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If you get to where you can make these bbls for people I'm in for 1! This is one sweet idea.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks mtdew! Still a few things to figure out and finalize first though. If everything does work out well , there might also be some premade 357AR brass available for those barrels!

Feedback Score

realy nice

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.