Gunco Forums banner

357AR

20K views 77 replies 14 participants last post by  moleman 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is what I've been working on this past winter with a lot of imput with several members over at weaponsguild. An ar15 based off of a 357 maximum rimless loaded to 223 pressures. I started with a home made chamber reamer (because standard 357max reamers won't work) and a 357 test barrel and once I got the bugs worked out I sectioned the test barrel and bought a Green Mountain blank to turn down. I haven't run it over a chronograph yet, but I was able to go above what Quickload shows for a 158gr bullet @ 2250fps without any signs of high pressure. I'm currently working up loads for 180gr bullets. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#61 ·
Mole you sure are a master. Looks great.

#62 ·
A fellow wildcatter who is working on a longer 357Max version for use in a bolt action sent me a few 223 cylindrical cases from Buffalo Arms to look over. https://www.buffaloarms.com/223-cylindrical-1-76long-cases-223cyl They would only need trimmed to length and likely reamed to work for 357AR cases. They're not cheap, but might help those unable to form brass or at least be a real time saver otherwise. We also got a NOE 360-228-FN bullet mold to try out. Even though it is a flat nose design, the flat nose is rather small so the overall shape is quite pointy. They should work well, and can be hollowpointed if needed.

Attachments

#64 ·
#65 · (Edited)
I was bragging on you about the 357AR on a FB gun group page, some knowitall called BS. Said it couldnt be done. Sent him a link to one of the other forums where you lined out how to build the round. Shut him up quick! Still want to do this someday.

#66 ·
Hi mtdew, I've heard that also. Usually some version of won't find a mag for it, straight walled cases won't feed, or when nothing else is left they go with headspacing on the case mouth is "problematic" because they've apparently never heard of 30 carbine, 380, 9mm, 357 auto, 38 super, 40sw, 10mm, 44amp, 45acp, 450BM, 45Raptor, 50GI and countless others.

#68 ·
ashhole, I ended up with 750 of the starline cases so far. The first batch was totally unmarked and sold out quickly. The next batch had their dashes and stars on them but no other caliber marks. Likely order two-three more boxes to put away when we get our income tax money back.

#72 ·
With the 750 starline cases that pushes me pretty close to at least 1500, but it is very nice to just be able to trim and ream in one step and have a case ready to go.

#73 ·
If you've got a lathe or access to one it could be done if they'll feed out of 44mag Desert Eagle mags. Be easier to headspace off of the case mouth, but you can also leave a lip on part of the barrel to headspace off of the rim. Much easier and cheaper would be 45 Win Mag or 44 AMP and use 450BM mags. 1Biggun and I have 44x1.6" piston uppers (top pic) based off of the 444Marlin AK thread from here. At 1.6" case length the case capacity works out to be the same as a 445 Super Mag which also has a similar working pressure so book loads can be used. Working on finishing up a 44x1.8" in an AR15 upper (bottom pic) that will match the same upper in my AR10 (middle pic). You have to use a fancy rounded lugged bolt/extension that adds $200 to the cost which oddly makes an AR10 upper cheaper but you end up with a semiauto rifle that can beat a 21.5" barreled 444 Marlin only using a 16.5" barrel.

Attachments

#76 ·
What are you using for projectiles these days in the 357AR?
Oh and how beautiful are those 556 basic brass, wow.

#77 ·
I'm shooting alot of the speer 180gr HCFN bullets. They don't open up as easily as a 180gr Hornady SSP but they're pretty close to the same profile and open up well out to 150yds or so. I haven't tested the 200gr ftx bullets yet, but they should work well also. The 200gr sierra RN is also decent and feeds well and isn't overly long which lets you run it at a decent speed. For target shooting lots of 158gr XTP or 180xtp, with an added bonus of the 180xtp will open up well at longer ranges and still perform well under 100yds.

#78 ·
Hunted with several different guns this year, but one evening My son and I both got a doe a few minutes apart using our 357ARs. We were using a box of cartridges I'd originally loaded up on 10/24/14 and used to take the buck that's posted a few pages back. Pretty sure at least one or more of the other deer we've taken were with that box of cartridges also. Finished up another upper after Christmas with the first 357AR I've owned where I didn't make the barrel. Didn't make it out for late doe season but will add it to the rotation for next year.
Food Animal product Fish Seafood Meat

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Got a few criptic messages about "big things coming for this cartridge" within the past year and figured it was just someone excited about it or a nut. Just before shot show it was leaked that Winchester was releasing a cartridge called the 350 Legend which looked a lot like the 357AR. After the official announcement it seems they modified the case slightly with the main difference being .11" longer which is odd. With the same Max COL we've been running the longer 350L case just ends up covering the bullet more and doesn't gain you any usable case capacity. It lets them pretend it's not the 357 REMINGTON Maximum-Rimless (357AR) though. I know it makes a great deer gun for a straight walled area and with the availability of factory ammo for those who don't reload it will be a good option for those areas.
Missile Rocket Font Publication Poster

Table Engineering Wood Metal Bumper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.