Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Important AR accessories..

Feedback Score

Ain't no such thing as enough ammo!
    I miss the days when it was cheap.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I have been running AR's for years.. 1989 I had my first one built..by a friend of mine..a Pre-ban Bushmaster XM-15e2S.. .. I have more than 10 and less than 20 AR's.. makers include Bushmaster, PWA, LRB, Rock river arms, Armalite, and half a Colt.. the better half.. I have them in calibers 223/556, 9mm, 6mm223, 5.45X39, 308/762X51MM. (I had one in 7.62X39 but it got sold because it was Olympic arms and did not work..)

I don't have any with Rails...lights or lasers..other than a few (hand guards with rails built into them) for the forward PG.. I'm really not a bells and whistles type.. I like the K.I.S.S. idea.. The point I'm trying to make is! if you are depending on your rifle to save /defend your life.. not as a range toy..etc.. these two accessories may be for you.. One of the weakest points on the AR-15/M16 design is the small extractor.. The O ring is (not the stock rubber piece under the extractor spring).. a separate piece/ the D fender type O ring..it is designed to put more pressure.. on the extractor to keep it from slipping off the rim for a case and leaving a fired case in the chamber which is just about the most serious malfunction a M16 can have.. along with a ruptured cases because your rifle is now a club.. the receiver rug is a small piece of rubber that fits under the fire control..parts.. it prevents a blown primer or any debris from wedging it's self under the trigger stopping the rifle firing cold.. I've HAD both malfunctions along with ruptured cases. I always have a ruptured cases tool also.. these two accessories are worth their weight in gold.. if you want to keep your rifle from going down is a fight.. I'm not selling these and or I have no Stock or anything.. I just like the product.. (and they are not expensive..( like under $20 for both) If I used my AR for business I'd consider a Light as a useful tool also.. I run the OEM three standard gas ring.. the McFarlin gas ring has no advantage that I can see and costs 10 times as much.. B2B
    Last edited by Bolt2bounce; 05-19-2012 at 02:34 AM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

THEY NEED A BOTTLE OPENER AN A CIGARETTE LIGHTER THAT WAY YOU LIGHT YOUR SMOKE AND OPEN YOUR BEER WHILE YOU FIGURE OUT WHY ALL THE CRAP SOME GUY ON THE INTERNET TOLD YOU YOU HAD TO HAVE TO KILL A ZOMBIE AN IS NOT WORKING.

I FIND IT ODD THAT MANUFACTURERS SPEND MILLIONS DESIGNING THESE GUNS AND TESTING THEM AND THEN A MALL NINJA SAYS HE KNOWS BETTER THAN THE BUILDER AND REPLACES EVERY THING. EITHER THESE GUNS ARE TOTAL JUNK IN STOCK FORM OR SOME ONE IS TRYING TO SELL YOU SOMETHING YOU DON'T NEED.

SO,ME OF THE CRAP ON THE INTERNET AN AR15.COM SOUNDS LIKE A 15 YEAR OLD KID WHO JUST READ HIS FIRST HOT ROD MAGAZINE TELLING HIS BUDDIES HOW TO MAKE THERE CAMERO GO FASTER BUT HAS NEVER TOUCHED A WRENCH.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Get a bubble pack of #60 o-rings. You'll probably get a dozen of them for less than the cost of one defender ring. It doesn't seem to hurt anything so I have put them on the majority of my uppers. I have had two primers come loose and wedge themselves under the fcg (locking it up) over the years. It took less than a minute to fix the problem each time and both cases that lost their primers were well used and had been seperated out into plinking ammo. I don't think the majority of the ninjas reload as it's not "mil-spec" so I don't think this would be a problem for them during the zombie invasion, but I bet the receiver rug would come in handy for a dcm shooter who would be shooting alot of reloads in a timed shoot.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Moleman you are correct the rug is more for the DCM guy who is running at the top end of the pressure curve.. pushing 80 gr bullets..at 600 yards.. blowing primers is a part of the deal..or a reloader who may have old cases with loose primer pockets.. just in case a primer is blown, but factory ammo can blow a primer also.. there is a reason the Military crimps the primers in.. I saw some Greek SS109 green tip a few years ago that was blowing primes left and right.. some bad ammo.. but it was Military surplus 5.56.. The D fender o rings may be over priced.. but I think they do add a extra margin of extractor function. which is VERY important.. and worth the time and money.. Like I said.. I don't run a bunch of gadgets on my AR's just a few simple improvements.. The M-16 series of rifles has been improved upon for over 40 years now.. Some people believe it is perfect as is.. but I think there is a lot of room for improvement in the stock AR system.. If I had my way, I'd be going back to the AR18 gas system and redesign the upper receiver to include hard chrome lining of the interior like POF does.. with a bullet proof magazine it would give the AK a run for it's money.. on reliability.. The direct gas system and solid bolt to barrel lock up give it accuracy advantage.. but the extractor and magazine design are really lacking.. B2B

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The M-16 series of rifles has been improved upon for over 40 years now.. Some people believe it is perfect as is.. but I think there is a lot of room for improvement in the stock AR system.
    IF THESE FIXES ARE SO SIMPLE WHY DONT THE MAKERS OF THESE GUNS JUST DO IT ???

The direct gas system and solid bolt to barrel lock up give it accuracy advantage..
    IM NOT SO SURE. IF ITS PROVABLE HAS THERE BEEN ANY BACK TO BACK TESTING OF THESE.

IM NOT A HUGE AR GUY SO IM ASKING THIS STUFF AS A WANT TO KNOW AN NOT A CHALLANGE OR SLAM. IMO THE BULLET IS OUT OF THE BARREL BEFORE THE BOLT EVER MOVES . SAVAGE CLAIMS THERE BOLT ACTIONS ARE OUT OF THE BOX BETTER THAN OTHER GUNS BECAUSE OF A FLOATING BOLT HEAD. SORRY FOR THE CAPS.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i think i'll remove the "0" ring from my 11.5" XM-177 replica and just see if there is any problems just for giggles--

LOL!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I don't know about a floating bolt in the savages.. I know they shoot good.. I don't own one, but I have friends who swear by their accuracy.. If I had to guess I say they talking about the bolt center's it's self in relationship to the bore, but I doubt they have a loose lock up like some other actions. I think Most AR manufactures don't upgrade the standard designs because it is beyond mil spec.. and cost extra $$ just like GM putting light duty break rotors on the vans, and truck because adding a 1/2 inch more material (steel ) cost a few cents more..times a million cars adds up.. and it's good enough for most people.. I'm not sure what current M-4's have( standard) I got out before the came along...but the upgrades have continued from A1's to the A2 again to the A4 and now with the M-4.. A lot of upgrades were rails (light lasers) and optics driven.. but some were internal.. like the M-4 feed ramping.. etc.. B2B

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i don't think m4 ramps do a damn thing but allow colt to charge MORE for a M4.

the whole m4 thing was cooked up so colt would have a lock on the design. other wise it would have been an open thing -- m16-6 or some such.

if the thing is built correctly the m4 ramps are going to be to low for the rounds to even hit them.

the ramps do seem to help on a 6.5G or a 7.62x39 but they are far from a mil-spec m4 as you can get anyway.

most of the so called "improvements" are just to make folks feel like their doing something useful.

my advice is don't "improve" the system if you have a running weapon.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Yeap, if it is working right and feels adjile, don't FIX IT!

And like said above, "KEEP IT SIMPLE"!
    M U S I B I K E

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.