Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: stamped steel ar-15 lowers?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Rikoshay View Post

Go ahead and bash away, I've heard it all before.
    Let's see if those who choose to bash your project can come up with something better. There's one in every crowd. Screw 'em.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

was there a guy on the AK section the other day talking about a glue build?

LOL!

hell this ain't one of them mall-ninja places where you got to kiss some gurus ass three times a day. here were open to alternative ideas of construction.

gunco is sort of like burger-king in the good old days--"have it your way!"

yea an aluminum weld up could be a good way to go.

matter of fact you could probably make a very good AR-15 lower that way.

sort of like that guys metal strip build only made from thicker pieces of aluminum and welded in critical places--

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

An AR was what I was thinking the other day. It's basically 2 rectangles, with the magwell being the bigger of the two. Buffer tube ring would have to be a seperate peice that's welded into the rear rectangle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

The ar-180 can be made from a two piece metal stamping with a piece of rectancular tubing at the stock end of the reciever. It can also be made to where the ar-15 parts including magazine will be able to be used for completing the lower. The only problem is that you will have to use longer pins for the FCG.
    This is accomplished by cutting out the sheet metal for the sides and inside of the mag well as a single piece and then bending them to shape.
    The bottom of the FCG well is then cut out of a different piece so that it can be bent to make the rear of the magwell, the bottom of the FCG pocket, and the rear of the reciever with the two guide rod holes for the upper.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Back a couple years ago I was looking at doing a stamped steel AR lower, and Bellson and someone else were guiding me to information. Someone sent me a huge file with a complete write up on a fairly easy stamped steel AR lower. I have it somewhere, but I printed it out and made a folder/notebook complete with pics. Whoever the original builder was is a smart cookie. Not sure if I would p*ss off whoever sent it to me, or the original builder if I posted this info, or emailed it to someone else to post, but I don't remember who it was, so what the heck.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

hell i have even thought of doing a wood lower sort of like AK furniture--a laminate with 11 layers and probably a little fiber glass too--

and steel connection points for the pins --then just build the stock into the upper --sort of like cav-arms did on their polymer.

it should be pretty damn strong and the steel pin holes shouldn't wear out--

it might have a sheet-metal wear plate added for the FCG pins---LOL

hell there are more than one way to skin an AR---

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

There is a similar discussion on Weaponsguilddotcom.

I have a Vulcan receiver, broken at the usual place. I am watching both threads hoping to come up with a way to resurrect the lower.

buckmeister

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister View Post
    There is a similar discussion on Weaponsguilddotcom.

I have a Vulcan receiver, broken at the usual place. I am watching both threads hoping to come up with a way to resurrect the lower.

buckmeister

now who was it telling us those plastic er carbon fiber/polymer thingys don't break?--

it broke where the buffer tube extension attaches near the back pin?

maybe you could bond it to a wooden back section?

being a vulcan/hess you might want to add some reinforcements at various stress points --like pins --

there is a way to patch up about any thing if you put time and thought into it--

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    now who was it telling us those plastic er carbon fiber/polymer thingys don't break?--

it broke where the buffer tube extension attaches near the back pin?

maybe you could bond it to a wooden back section?

being a vulcan/hess you might want to add some reinforcements at various stress points --like pins --

there is a way to patch up about any thing if you put time and thought into it--
    Correct, right at the back pin. Typical failure point. It has been in my junk box. I couldn't bring myself to destroy it, so I may fix it. Especially now that the market is so crazy. Yep, it has areas with special needs. I was thinking of a 22lr dedicated upper on it.

buckmeister

Feedback Score

Default count me in!

Sounds like a workable idea.
    Let me know if you want to weld one up-the first hit's free. :-)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Search tags for this page

stamped ar 15 lower
stamped ar lower

steel ar 15 lower

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.