Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: a plastic/nylon 80% lower?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    J,

BUllets bolt together alum ones are definitely "caveable"..
    looking for my turbin??? were is that bloody turbin???
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

$249+ shipping for an 80%! LOL!

damn gunbroker must be hitting the crack pipe--

how about making a 80% from compressed cardboard?--LOL

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

There is a thread at northeastshooters where one of these plastic lowers went KB.
    I was going to post a link, but the site is down right now.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i was thinking something on the order of what this guy is doing over at WG with the plastic.

if someone used the proper kind of nylon and get away from the brittle injection molding plastics, and applied reinforcements to the areas that are known to give. i figure you could come up with a reasonably strong plastic lower at reasonable cost. cav arms has all ready done this and we know it works.

one thing for damn sure it won't look like a m-4 lower. "LOL"

i don't think the finished product will be much if any lighter than its metal counterpart . and it probably won't be quite as strong --but it could be strong enough and much less expensive.

if it ain't strong enough to withstand bayonet drills and some serious butt-strokes to some hard surfaces it ain't strong enough--

i kinda get a laugh at all the mall ninjas talking about "carbon fiber" lowers--

you could make a very good carbon fiber lower and it would be plenty strong and a bit lighter than aluminum.

by the time you get one cooked up you going to have to ask "space technology" prices for it too. real carbon fiber technology ain't cheap--

an old joke about vulcan carbon fiber is they would drop a charcoal brick in every vat of plastic --just so they could say carbon--LOL!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

you know IF you re-designed the ar-15 for a plastic lower it would work.

you could make a upper that had the buffer tube attach to it instead of the lower and add at least one extra pin for attachment to the lower.

the plastic then would just hold the mag and the FCG. the stock would be attached to the buffer tube that is solidly attached to the upper--

the buffer tube would have to have a threaded plug in it to take down the upper --

a-la m231--LOL

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

j427 doing something like that pic would be better then a 3D printer right now, using a solid block of a good plastic and machining it I think would hold up to being fired. Now would it hold up to smacking someone with the butt or doing a bayonet charge, I doubt it.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

backing up...

i thought it was on THIS site where the guy posted the carbon fiberone a couple years back?

was i drunk? that happens.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Maybe this is the one your thinking of? Don't look like it went anywhere, and looks like he was planning on a 22lr build
    http://www.gunco.net/forums/f255/car...r-lower-56330/
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Exclamation Its out there somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    i was thinking something on the order of what this guy is doing over at WG with the plastic.

if someone used the proper kind of nylon and get away from the brittle injection molding plastics, and applied reinforcements to the areas that are known to give. i figure you could come up with a reasonably strong plastic lower at reasonable cost. cav arms has all ready done this and we know it works.

one thing for damn sure it won't look like a m-4 lower. "LOL"

i don't think the finished product will be much if any lighter than its metal counterpart . and it probably won't be quite as strong --but it could be strong enough and much less expensive.

if it ain't strong enough to withstand bayonet drills and some serious butt-strokes to some hard surfaces it ain't strong enough--

i kinda get a laugh at all the mall ninjas talking about "carbon fiber" lowers--

you could make a very good carbon fiber lower and it would be plenty strong and a bit lighter than aluminum.

by the time you get one cooked up you going to have to ask "space technology" prices for it too. real carbon fiber technology ain't cheap--

an old joke about vulcan carbon fiber is they would drop a charcoal brick in every vat of plastic --just so they could say carbon--LOL!
    With all the brilliant and inventive minds out there... Someone has improved on it and will be selling it to DOD soon if not already...
    God so loved the world He gave his only Son...
    ...Believe in Him and have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.