Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: any idea of a pin at the hardware store to replace

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I got it cleaned up and polished chambering fine only thing is I checked the depth of the bolt face with a caliper and compared it to a 5.56 bolt head and now the 5.45 is .125 compared to the .119 of the 5.56 do you think I need to worry about the .006 difference?

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'd check the headspace because removing metal from the boltface will effect your headspace.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i would think .006" would suffice. it should be OK provided the head space measurements of the bolt before the mod on the bolt was correct.

there is some variation in bolts/barrel extensions from one to another, generally not enough to run-out.

i don't run into many issues with the proper head-space even when modding bolts provided i don't let the cutter get away from me--LOL.

i had some new AA arms 6.5G bolts i had to return it seems AA spaced their bolts for the 6.5g deep for some reason. wouldn't work with a standard AR-15 head-space.

as all ways be very careful when test firing anything that was just opened up. i would just fire one shot recover the spent case and look for anything odd. like bulged primers , or any type of distortion of the case.

if every thing on the first case looks OK-- then fire a few more ---check ALL of them -- after that hand full of cases checks out-- provided there are no other issues cropping up. you should be good to go.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

5.45 plumb and square in bolt

And J427x how about this polish

Those dark spots are reflections
    I am going to follow your recommendations for testing thanks.
    Last edited by bubbamauser; 09-08-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

it might not hurt to check for any kind of excessive swell on the @ss end of the spent case with a digital caliper too.

that will require checking the unfired round recording its measurements --then checking the fired case against the loaded rounds measurements.

if the head space is excessive there will be a tiny bit of expansion just ahead of the rim as the round will be back too far in the breech.

i don't see .006 doing any of this --but it is all ways better to play it extra conservative .

if would be really nice if someone had a set of 5.45 HS go and no go just to be sure.

i have spaced many on live rounds or dummy rounds of the correct specs and used math to give a +/- to the no go side.

right now i don't know anybody has got a set of go-no gos in 5.45 if i had some i would send them as loaners--

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

http://www.tothtool.com/Gauges_c_11.html He's a vendor here $32.50 each (go, no-go, and field) and you could probably get that for them on ebay once you're done.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.