Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: poly 80 vs JM 80% compare build test

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default poly 80 vs JM 80% compare build test

got quick compare of poly80 vs JM up over at WG.... but im gonna post the build of them both at both sites for those that care..

ok guys ive got them in front of me now....

this first post will be about the looks & such. later i'll do another post on which ones actually went best.

first looks:

JM $110
    the JM is the fancier of the two. comes with the gray jig you see... pretty straight froward, drill to proper depths and clean up...

has a MUCH thicker magwell area and the safe/fire are labeled on it... also has lots of extra beef on the top rail area front to back.

metal insert installed for grip

has a glove style trigger guard but its a bit square.

this is a very nice looking lower. very good lines.....

Poly80 $120

the ply 80 is a bit plain but comes with all the tools! YEP they came with it... thats a big plus!

magwell on this lower is very thin. receiver area seems to be plenty beefy with extra support on the full length of the top edge.

has glove style trigger guard & this one is nice and rounded.. it has the better look in this area.

im not diggin the fact that it doesnt even have safe/fire located.... but we all do know where that is anyway...

appears to have teh better jig design as well.. less room for mistakes.

so over all they both have something on the other.

JM appears to be heavier and thicker made... Poly80 comes with the tools & better trigger area.

but here is the pic: Attachment 36406
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

first update:

last nite i threw the poly 80/jig on the HF mini just because some other members have had some trouble with theirs on this... i read their directions... then threw them away..

first thing i did was drill the trigger pins... then the trigger holes from the top...

set the fluted bit to 1.25" deep and made all my plunge ins as it should... i had the sweeper running all the time to keep the melted "chips" out of the way.... worked my way around it.... using the outside edges of their jig as my guideplate with the bushing on the bit.

this is overly cautious on my part, but you can always take more out.... putting it back sucks.

i read another member said he tore out the safety pin holding slot so i went real careful around the template and nibbled my way into it... my approach leaves it too shallow and you have to come back & take a little more. im good with that.

ran the HF mini on about 350-400 ish & after about 45 minutes of crawling around on it i had it to the point of taking it out and checking it...

first thing i found was that i had a break thru in the front lower end out to the magwell release section.. not all over but just in 1 spot.. tells me that the casting is not perfectly even.. im a bit concerned over the hammer stop & its impact. so will be keeping an eye on this and dry fire the crap out of it to see if i can create a failure..

casting issues? this was also apparent from the BUBBLES in my FCG area when i got to the bottom. had quite a few of these.

IMAG0321.jpgIMAG0322.jpg

now its down to cleaning up the edges in there and seeing if the FCG fits.

this was ridiculously easy on the HF mini & im sure it would be even easier on my BP/dro set up.... more tonite.
    Last edited by dutigaf; 11-12-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

it would seem by your picture, the jigs are dedicated to each manufacturer, but it does look like the JM jig could be used on the EP 80% as the triggerguard is styled the same

good to see you used a milling machine my first was strictly dremel and cordless drill, no2 was with drill press, clean up with dremel
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Sprat,

yeah im actually gonna clean up the inside tonite with my rotozip... i dont own a dremel.. they be too light weight for my gouging. LMAO will get those other pix added in tonite too...

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Thanks Sean!! Good write-up so far. Looking forward to each report.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ok got the pix added in up in the early post.....

to follow up on this poly 80 & my conclusion on it? i didnt need a roto or dremel to clean it up.... actually just took a small triangle file and knocked off the few spots you see in the first pix...

well it works & it fits tight to the upper...

but its definitely a cheapy that is designed for the DIY member who just wants to have one "off the books".

it was super easy & obviously i learned to not trust their red insert to go by... stick with what we always know... go light, go shallow and work your way into it. they do NOT have it perfect to just "clean out the red"...

other note? found out that i was out of LPK's... so had some spare plastic FCG stuff laying around and stuck that in this to test it with. i always use the fancy pins on my AR builds.....

live fire comes after ive got them both done and can just hot swap the lowers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

looking good, getting there

what did you say its not a race!!!!!!!!!
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

nah its not a race.... but im a fairly hyper person..

my overall time for this was around 45 minutes last nite and maybe 15 tops tonite... so an hour is really doable... & once you've done the first one & know what to trust & what not... the time would come on down even more..

d65
    Feedback Score

What would you say is the best 80% lower aluminum jig to get? How pricey?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ive got several AR jigs, 1 is from Tactical Machining, 1 from Prexis & a couple of these plastic style ones..... none of them work any better than my 80% drill press plate that lets you do this from your drill press on the old style 80%'s...

as long as your FCG holes are accurate theres just not much to it... the rest you can work with.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.