Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 357AR pistol build

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

yeah the only reason i didnt jump in and try to do this was because he is doing it in 357 max....

if it had been doing in 357mag? oh hell yeah id have been all over this.

its still a really cool build for the reloading crowd to do!
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I almost built a 357mag rimless since it gives about 357max velocities when you use 223 brass run the PSI up to the 5.56 range. Then I found a site where they were running the 357 Maximum up to 5.56 pressures and I was hooked. I figured I could make it work in an ar15, and if I couldn't the barrel could always be used for something that would. The only really issue I see with the 357mag is you're limited to desert eagle mags.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

The cases I'm using started out as 223 cases and were opened up to 357 in steps.
    Looking at the pic in the middle with all the cases lined up, what's with the row on the bottom, did they split or is that part of how it's done?
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Coils, yes those cases split. They were necked up in two steps with the two expander stems in the pic, so there were more losses. If you expand them in a couple more steps and anneal them again half way through there aren't near as many split cases. The 223 cases they were made from all had been fired several times, and most of the splits seemed to start where they had nicks in the 223 shoulders or necks. For the ease of fewer steps and a single annealing with basically range brass, the loss rate is acceptable to me. The most times I have fired a single 357AR case was 12 times before it grew long enough it needed trimmed. So once formed they seem to last.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Awsome build as usual. Your work continues to impress me .

We need to get one of these built on a AK platform.

have you ever tried to fire form the brass to open it up ???

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Yep I tried fire forming with wax and it basically was messy and didn't get a useable case out of it with several firings. Heck with a 158gr bullet and a 357magnum charge, the bell in the middle of the case wouldn't iron out. I was in the 357Max charge range before the cases would smooth out. I think the issue is how fast the pressure drops off with a straight walled case. For the ak, have you thought about the 9x39 cartridge?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

For the ak, have you thought about the 9x39 cartridge?
    yeap that an more abuut 30BR blown out to 358

Go big or go home LOL .

I think the .35x39 or the 9mm like HCpookie was working on would be a good round . ( hows that build going HC ? )

I think a 358 bench rest would be better if your stuck with a ak /ar mag well.

On a AK its easier IMO just to build a 358 win a load it light or just do a 35 remington. I have the 358 win reamer so Im going to go that route on the trunion you threaded for me If I ever get off my ass an build it . LOL

IF I was stuck with a AR platform Id be looking hard at your 357 AR . I think its got some advantages over the 300BO on deer. the brass is cheap an it uses a stock bolt .

Now if you can just get a deer to stand in front of you LOL. Im not having any luck this year , we got the holiday hunt coming an lots of snow now.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I was in the 357Max charge range before the cases would smooth out. I think the issue is how fast the pressure drops off with a straight walled case.
    I wonder if you could build a fire form barrel on a bolt action recvier an then use pistol powder an high pressure to do it.

I suspose its a waste of powder an primers an it look like you got it handled.

I was sort of thinking about the 45-70 rimless on a 284 case an was thinking I might be bale to fire form in my 45-70 h&R handi rifle to get he cases opend up straight an though of your project .

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Id like to see one of those tauras judge thats 45/410 taken a rebarrled an a new cylinder made to take something like this . likley would have to reduce the pressures some ?

I was dreaming up a 17 cal the other day on a judge frame as was thinking it would make a great long range plinker on varmints .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I ended up trying unique, redot, bulleyseye or something like that figuring that it should do it's work before the pressure dropped, but no dice. The rounded expander stem a few posts back expands the case down far enough that when resized, the hourglass shape is gone. A straight 35rem or similar would be awesome. With the judge, would case setback be an issue from the tapered case?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.