Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Latest additions to the AR armory...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Latest additions to the AR armory...

Here's my last two AR builds.

The shorter one is a M4 clone I built last year with a 14.5" barrel and a 2" flash hider spot welded on to keep it legal. I built it for my wife so I am keeping it pretty light weight for her. The hand guard is a MI SS Gen-2 7" free float tube with a Magpul AFG2 grip on the bottom. I had to machine two of the add-on rails so they could overlap at the middle to share a mounting hole to make a rail long enough to properly mount the AFG2. The rear sight is a standard Magpul Mbus. Internally the trigger, disconnector and hammer have been updated with silver ND3 coated parts from WMD Guns. The (supposedly) Mil-Spec parts in the LPK that came with it were giving me lots of trouble and the company I bought the kit from wasn't honoring their warranty, so that's why they got swapped out. I used KNS anti rotation pins for the trigger and hammer as I've had issues with those pins falling out on some of my builds before and figured I keep it from ever happening on this one with the new pins. I'm still waiting for a high rise Bushnell TRS-25 red dot sight I ordered to show up, but it's presently on backorder. Haven't decided on a sling for it yet and I'm open to any recommendations.

The longer one is my most recent build with most of the parts coming from Palmetto State Armory. The lower is a $59 blem picto type, but it looked damn near perfect when I got it. The LPK is a $49 PTAC AR15 MOE kit and I have some KNS anti rotation pins on order for this rifle as well. The upper assembly is a 16" heavy profile carbine barrel with a 1:9 twist and is Melonite coated with the BCG and charging handle included for $399. The hand guard is the same MI SS Gen-2 as the one on the shorter AR except that this one is 12.5" and completely covers a low profile GB. The forward grip is the original slightly bigger Magpul AFG1 and is mounted on two of the add-on rail sections. The forward rail section has a quick release sling mount hole just ahead of the AFG1. The rear sight is a plastic Magpul MBUS and the front sight is a Magpul steel MBUS Pro. The rear steel Magpul MBUS Pro was out of stock so until they get back in stock I'll just keep using the plastic one for now. The optic is an Aimpoint PRO and I got it for $399, which included the rear plastic Magpul MBUS I'm temporarily using, for that price. The current stock is a spare Mil-Spec M4 6-position stock I had lying around from an older AR build. I'm still waiting for the Magpul UBR stock to arrive before I can call this one done. I need a sling for this one as well and I'll be using the quick release swivel mounts for whatever type of sling I get. Also open to suggestions for a decent sling on this one as well.

This $289 upper is waiting in the wings for my $49 Anderson lowers and $29 LPKs (both from PSA) to show up. I'll use the M4 stock off the longer AR in the pic above to finish it off after the UBR stock arrives and is installed. I also have a ProMag rear flip up sight that I'll be using on it to save a a couple of bucks there as well. It's looking like this one will end up being a standard 5.56 M4 AR built for $367 with using the extra spare parts I have on hand.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Very nice!
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Gorgeous rifles!
    "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - The Duke

Feedback Score

Too short, but just the right shade of black.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i say shoot um! LOL!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

those MI hand guards are nice!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by eldogg View Post
    those MI hand guards are nice!
    They're rock solid as well. Win-win.

The KNS Gen-2 anti-rotation pins (for mine) and a Magpul MS3 sling (for hers) arrived in the mail today. The KNS pins are already installed and the sling is mounted up in a two point configuration right now. I have a Magpul ASAP ambi sling mount on order for her rifle so she can run it in single point configuration if she wants to. I have a Magpul MS4 dual QD sling on order for my rifle since the MI forend and the UBR stock both have QD attachment points built into them. The UBR stock has mount points on both ends so it can be comfortably run as either single or two point.

Didn't get any new pics today. I'll get some updated ones up once the rest of the parts are here.

Oh yea, the $49 Anderson lowers from PSA showed up today. I'm still waiting on the LPKs to get here before I can do anything with that extra upper.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

More goodies arrived in the mail today. Got the ASAP sling mount and put it on the wife's AR. She likes it and I'd rock one as well if I didn't have a QD sling setup for mine.

Speaking of the QD sling, it also arrived in the mail today as well. Unfortunately until the stock I ordered gets here, I can't use it.

I also got a notice today from UPS that the package with the LPKs will be shipping out soon.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The UBR stock finally showed up in the mail. It feels about the same weight as the PRS I used to have and is way more solid than the M4 stock. Just took a couple of minutes to throw it on the lower and plug the MS4 QD sling onto it. It really helps to balance out the rifle well. It needed the tail weight since it has a heavy profile barrel and I'm running the Aimpoint PRO forward on the rail to leave some clearance for a magnifier (maybe later). While I was out in the shop I stuck a cheap LED flashlight on the lower forward rail just to see if I liked it there or not. If I do, I'll swap it out for a Surefire or some similar higher quality light.

I'd like to say this one is just about done, but they're never ever really done it seems.

The wife's red dot is off backorder and should be here early next week. The LPKs should arrive about the same time as well so I should have another M4 AR assembled soon.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The last of the parts I was expecting showed up in the mail Monday.

The LPKs had Blackhawk Ergo grips in them and were decent quality overall. The one exception was the safety and upper retaining pin detents. They were a bit rough and a little too pointy to allow them to move smoothly in the grooves in the safety selector and takedown pins. On one of the safety detents it wouldn't allow the safety to operate at all so I had to file the point down and then polish the tip afterwards. The rest of them seem to be loosening up a bit after working the pins in and out and the safety lever back and forth for a while. Overall for a $29 LPK I can live with that little bit of inconvenience. Both of the Anderson lowers are now finished and look perfectly functional. I put the M4 upper on one of them and that one is ready to rock. The other just needs an upper assembly and a buffer and buffer spring to be complete. I'm keeping an eye out for that $289 M4 upper deal to come up again as the one I did get earlier is a great deal for the money.

The Bushnell TRS-25 red dot also showed up and I got it mounted without any problems. However, even with it being listed as for use standard AR height sights, this one overcompensated in the spacer height dept. The sights are not co-witnessed like they said in the ad, it's not even lower 1/3rd, which I would have accepted as well. The line of sight of the iron sights falls directly on or just slightly under the bottom edge of the optic window. Looking at it I have enough material in the spacer to cut the rail off the top and mill a new rail about a 1/2" lower. That should put the iron sights just about co-witnessed on center. I'll do a little measuring and see how far I need to take it to get it lined up properly before I start cutting anything.

I've gotta get off to class in a minute so I'll try to get some pics up when I get back home later today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.