Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: A little something new in the .45 arena....

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by gwailo View Post
    I like Popcorn's moonshine myself.
    I was under the impression that Mr Popcorn passed away about 5 years back. If so, whose making white whiskey under his name?
    Hunter

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_02 View Post
    I was under the impression that Mr Popcorn passed away about 5 years back. If so, whose making white whiskey under his name?
    Hunter
    After Popcorn killed himself, Hank Williams Jr. opened a distillery in Nashville to make his shine recipe legal.
    Best damn shine I've ever tasted! http://www.popcornsuttonswhiskey.com/
    HART SYSTEMS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY
    Pull up your pants, turn off that damn rap and speak clear English, if you want to talk to me.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Rudy likes "clear beer" (as we call it) too! & yes so do i....

but also like watermelon, strawberry, applepie & even some peach!~

all good stuff.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    Rudy likes "clear beer" (as we call it) too! & yes so do i....

but also like watermelon, strawberry, applepie & even some peach!~

all good stuff.
    Mmmmm, I'm getting thirsty!
    HART SYSTEMS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evr_tP9cJWY
    Pull up your pants, turn off that damn rap and speak clear English, if you want to talk to me.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

^^^ yeah but its only Tuesday bud...

i gotta wait till friday nite.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    What the hell is a "gas operated" AR???? I speak Southern, having grown up in Plant City Florida part time as a youth..
    Poor Rudy tried to explain to me, in his best Southern Drawl.. But my having the mechanical ability of a Gibbon Ape, I had no no idea what he was talking about..
    I just kept saying "Oh yeah yeah I see." I am a retired Gynecologist, any auto work, I take too the garage..
    Yer standard AR15/M16 rifle is gas operated, meaning gas from firing makes the bolt unlock and cycle. The AR has a hole drilled in the bbl under the front sight and a passage made in the sight to accept the gas tube that sits atop the bbl under the forearm and goes back into the receiver. That thingy on top of the bolt carrier slides over the end of the gas tube when forward. Make it go BANG, the bullet travels down the bbl and goes past the hole. Plugged at both ends by the cartridge case and the soon to exit bullet, gas pressure shoots up the hole, down the gas tube, and into the top of the carrier. The inside of the carrier and the rear of the bolt act like a piston and cylinder, the pressure forces the carrier rearward, unlocking the bolt and the assembly flies rearward to shuck the empty out. Spring in the buttstock shoves it forward again, repeat until empty.

Most pistol caliber carbines and subguns use simple blowback, the heavy bolt and spring is all that keeps the bolt forward when fired. The pressure from the shot shoves the empty out of the chamber, slamming the bolt back just like on your .22 autoloader. The mass of the bolt adds enough delay for the bullet to exit before cycling.

This newfangled .45 of which we speak uses the same gas operated mechanism as the rifle cartridges do, the bolt is locked into the bbl and the gas from firing is used to unlock and cycle it. While not as simple as a blowback gun, gas operation would of course allow much more/better powder to be shoveled into each cartridge case for more power and range.

The .460 Rowland I mentioned is sorta like the .45 version of the .22 Stinger cartridges. They lengthen the case a smidgen so it won't fit in and blow up a standard .45, but the total length remains the same so they feed from standard magazines. Then they up the pressure to about double what a standard .45 produces, turning what appears to be a standard .45 auto cartridge into essentially a .44 magnum round. If ya had say a GreaseGun magazine setup for your .460 Rowland AR15, you would be armed with a light handy 30 shot carbine that would take down almost any animal or diesel truck in North America. Maybe even Mongo if you hit him enough times!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I e-mailed you for info also hope it okay.
    Gunco Member 2241
    NRA Life Member

CEO Macon Armory Inc. Mad-Machinist's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gwailo View Post
    I like Popcorn's moonshine myself.

Rudy,
    Since you made this magwell converter, have you thought of a multi caliber AR?
    You could use the same magwell adaptor for 9mm and 40 cal.
    Only problem is I haven't found a mag of consistent dimension externally in all three calibers.....or even a good high cap that does 9mm and .40....glock mags require a dedicated upper (or someone sharper than me to design a magwell adaptor because of the latch) and modding magazines as a rule comes back to haunt you. I have significant plans for 40 S&W in the near future....but I gotta make back some of the pile o money I have recently spent expanding the shop.

If you can suggest some mags I may have overlooked I'd REALLY appreciate it.....I do have a yellow logic 80% lower with a dedicated Sten magwell and a mag catch similiar to an AR45 lower that I am going to try with Sten mags adjusted for 9mm and 40 ....both with DI uppers.....

The new magwell adaptor continues to amaze me.......stress level was a little high today so I decided to go out back and fire a few rounds......had a box of beat up rounds from cycling tests that pretty much were beat to death and I was sure wouldn't feed worth a damn....even had 5 or 6 truncated cone hollowpoints.......which NEVER feed well.....threw 'em in a mag and stripped the first round. Appearantly the combo of the feed ramp in the magwell adaptor and the changes I have incorporated into the barrel extension just flat WORK....it fed a mag of 15 junk beat up rounds with out a hitch......and the bolt locked back after the last round.....LOL
    Last edited by Mad-Machinist; 02-18-2014 at 10:51 PM.

CEO Macon Armory Inc. Mad-Machinist's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by konrue66 View Post
    I e-mailed you for info also hope it okay.
    Absolutely..........having internet issues here at home....just got it back after 5 days....If I have't answered yet...I will....have been buried at the shop...CNC Lathe is STILL down.....going on 4 weeks of replacing just about every part on it.........hence the stress break mentioned above.........and my target was a computer...... so I have't been able to get online much at work.
    Still wading through the pile of emails.........which address did you use......????? I can't seem to find it.....best way to get me is rudyk@maconarmory.com
    Rudy

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

We can always count on the kernel, thank you.. Not sure about stopping Mongo kernel.. Guys have hit him in his thick head with stuff and he asked them not to do that again or he would get pissed..
    Thinking more like .375 H&H magnum, or M-79 grenade launcher..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.