Gunco Forums banner

5.45 EXP/TEC Tactical AR pistol

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Pryotex 
#1 ·
thought i would share this here since you guys like most of my "custom" work...

this is one of the new EXP pistols that Pryotex is selling thru TEC Tactical..

but naturally i couldnt leave it alone. ;D

so instead of the 5.56 that i loathe... ive converted it over to 5.45x39 which ive got lots of!

what had to be done?

bolt head

barrel

lots of tinkering.

so lets start at the bolt head... you can buy a bolt head or you can convert a 5.56 over... works either way!

barrel: these are not real easy to come by right now.. so you can get one & cut it down... or pay a lot for a short one.. i opted for a $130 regular old barrel then i cut it off at 8" & had a buddy thread it at work. then it was about turning it down where it needed to be on my mini lathe (7x10) & putting in a gas port hole.

with some careful measuring and a little math i figured out the hole size which was NOT a standard size for this barrel length & operating system.

stuffed it all together 3 times, because i kept putting it together "regular style" instead of how this particular pistol goes from Extar...

then ad some surplus ammo & its test time!

[video=youtube;99PP4_airIs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99PP4_airIs[/video]
[video=youtube;99PP4_airIs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99PP4_airIs[/video]

See less See more
#2 ·
That's pretty sweet. Glad you got it running smooth.

#3 ·
yeah just had to play with the gas port a little bit...

with this small spring set up, you only want as much gas as it needs.. no extra.. the 5.56 gas port hole was super duper small... this 5.45 hole was just a shade larger when it landed just right.

i did run Wolf commercial 5.45 & a mix of the 5.45 surplus stuff thru it.. made no difference at all.

#4 ·
Nice work as always!

#11 ·
#15 ·
fastest you've ever moved on turning something out.

admit it... when you got that thing in your hand you were impressed!

#16 ·
That is sweet Pryotex!! I love the folder on there. Now, if you were to machine a replacement piece to go on the rear of a standard AR lower, that replicates the rear trunnion(??) and could be screwed on or bolted in some fashion to the buffer tube threads would you be able to run a standard aluminum lower versus the factory polymer?? Not sure if I worded that in an understandable format, but hopefully you get my meaning.

#17 ·
the answer is yes that you could....

but you dont even need to do that.

the rear on this thing will go on a regular lower anyway with just a little 'adjustment'.. for those who dont want to do a poly lower... but honestly the weight of this thing is perfect the way it is & its impossible for it to blow that front takedown pin out now days..

heres why:

see? this is a change they made to the upper.....

#18 ·
Thanks for the info Sean. I definitely need to get one of those. Looks like a fun toy to go along with my shorty 74 flame thrower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.