Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 build complete w/Jack Squat flat

Feedback Score

Default AR-15 build complete w/Jack Squat flat

So I ordered the $300 PTAC upper from PSA when they were having a sale and was really torn between grabbing a stripped lower or doing an 80%er. As most of us know, the price difference between those two really no longer exists minus the FFL transfer fee on a stripped lower. Being the glutton for punishment I am, I decided to go with the cheapest(most labor intensive) option: Jack Squats AR-15 flat.

So for those of you who are unfamiliar with the flat, this is what you get for around $27.

It is all steel, and some may not like the added weight but it really didnt phase me. I wanted to do a project and also keep the cost down. I will say for anyone considering doing one of these that the pieces come together very straight forward and the cuts on the pieces are fantastic for the price. They still need some smoothing out but its damn nice.

Trigger guard and FCG pocket put together:

Magwell and back of receiver/pistol grip mount:

Buffer tube mount(which I may as well have not used!):

The biggest dilemma with doing one of these is the fact that the tap for the buffer tube is roughly $60(the price of a stripped lower??), and knowing how precise the tube must line up with the bolt in order to function properly. Thannks to weaponsguild, I saw a few members opted to weld on a castle nut as an alternative to tapping the threads.

My first attempt failed miserably.

Luckily I ordered an additional one along with the one supplied in my LPK. I havent decided if I'm going to keep it *flat side* or not but I was really itching to go test it out today after getting everything lined up and basically finished. Not sure if Im going to make provisions for the takedown pins or if I'm simply going to use some screws for simplicity(which is what I used to test it as you see in the next picture). I still need to get an additional castle nut to snug up the tube but the lock ring/key worked fine for my range trip today. Put 40 rounds through it and had 2 misfeed and get smooshed. The two rounds that got caught were fed out of a cheapie mag, luckily my friend let me borrow his bushmaster mag and a Pmag, both which ran the other 30 something rounds perfectly. So not sure if its 100% a mag issue or something with my lower yet with such a low round count but I'm very satisfied.

Felt awesome to build another firearm! I had little to no experience with the AR before taking this on and I must say the engineering, as simple as it is, was simply mind-blowing. Such a complicated yet simple basic firearm that works extremely well.

The lower doesnt look 100% pristine, but it does everything it is supposed to do and I managed to cobble it together with my small equipment set. Worse comes to worse I will buy an 80%er and fire up the old drill press.

Once again I thank everyone on this site, and also a shout-out to www.weaponsguild.com . Without the knowledge you guys provide these things could never become a reality for many of us!
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score

that looks great I have thought about this route to put together another AR-15 and have been looking for someone s completed build to check out . what site did you get the lower flat kit from. keep us posted if you see any deals on uppers.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

cheap, rough and heavy??-- hell i love it! LOL!

Feedback Score

Looks great! I like it. You guys just about got me talked into an AR. I'm just scared that they will be like the AK's and multiply like frickin' rabbits!
    “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.” George Washington

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    George Washington

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

now if the back of the flat was machined where a buffer tube nut would just slip in from the back then you could use the welder you got to do all those AK to tack weld it in---

and presto--just screw the buffer tube in---LOL

and the flat has other things that i might do like maybe a AK mag conversion---???

things could get interesting with a flat build--

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Cool write-up. Thanks for documenting this.
    And, yeah maybe Jack could make a new buffer tube piece that was designed to just take the castle nut inline, so to speak. I'd buy that extra goodie.
    "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
    - Thomas Alva Edison
    |> Military training/history DVDs: www.loose-cannon.com/military
    Latest eBook: Build Your Own AK: Vol. II

Feedback Score

Yea after I got the mount on there and saw the size of it compared to the castle I ended up just hacking the mount off and *sitting* the nut on top of where I cut it, then slowly removing material to get it down just far enough so that the bolt carrier passed through it squarely.

The first one I ruined was golden until the welder spit really bad right onto the threads. I tried like hell to save it but ended up having to cut it off and use the other one. Thats really my only concern with the whole deal. I was a little more stingy with welding it on the 2nd time so that I didn't foul up another set of threads, but I also used some (Yea dont laugh) JB weld to smooth out the mess and add some additional strength.

I'm willing to bet a lot of you guys could do a much nicer job with better tools.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

― Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Nice write up Jim.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Very nice write up, thanks

opted to weld on a castle nut as an alternative to tapping the threads.
    That's a great idea

and the flat has other things that i might do like maybe a AK mag conversion---???
    I was thinking the same thing, I bet it wouldn't be too hard to have it setup for almost any mag.

I don't know if I missed it, but does it have a BHO?
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, I bet it wouldn't be too hard to have it setup for almost any mag.

I don't know if I missed it, but does it have a BHO?
    Yea the sky is definitely the limit with the mag well since you can space it out however you want/add additional material.

It does have a BHO and thats another tricky part of it. For anyone that decides to do one of these make sure you drill the pivot hole before you weld the channel in or youll have a hell of a time.

The only other tricky thing with this lower is making the mag catch work. As the kit comes a stock catch does not sit deep enough to grab the magazine. I opted to add material to the catch itself, but you could also make the channel it rests on deeper, but thats difficult without having a solid end-mill setup.

― Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.