Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tried something different.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Tried something different.

Usually if I'm putting a finish on something it is made of steel (AK, FAL, M1919 etc) So I just parkerize it. Up to now all my aluminum stuff has been anodized, just assemble and go. I ended up with a couple of raw 80% receivers that I had finished up and were ready to go together. A while ago before I got set up for parkerizing, I experimented with some bake on coatings gunkote. alumahyde, brownells baking lacquer. This time I wanted to try something that didn't require an oven. So I selected duracoat. It's a two part paint that does not require baking.
    I already have several ARs in basic black so I opted for something different. Urban digital camo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I wanted to be able to mount a sling QD as flush as possible. I found one that is designed to mount through a flat panel held in place by a spiroloc and two set screws to tension it. I formed a 1/2 washer to match the contour if the forearm and ran a couple of allen head screws in from the opposite side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

7.62 I really like the swivel attachment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Nice finish. Care to elaborate? .do I talk to fancy sometimes? LOL don't mean to.I ain't that educated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ask 4th. He knows I'm mountain redneck. .

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I used one of these kits.

https://www.lauerweaponry.com/index....tegory_id=1013

If I was going to do it again I would get the kit without the preval sprayer, it was pretty much useless. An HVLP touch up gun or an air brush works much better.
    Ftwash likes this.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I use an inexpensive gravity feed paint gun. Its a little bulky but I can adjust to a very fine spray. I think I got it at O'reillys auto parts store.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

nice swivel attachment

so if I read your original post correctly you did not anodize the last two aluminum lowers, I have several I have not anodized, I remember eading a thread on god knows whos website many many moons ago, that anodizing is a form of advanced weathering, so if one left the finish exposed, mother mnature would do the rest. I have one lower I did circa 2000 it is much darker than the newer ones I did last year the outside is hardening Im reading good things about duracoat

good luck with that
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Max – – that's some beautiful work!

I got talked into building a couple of these when a buddy of mine came by the house and wanted to shoot a few coyotes. We sighted in the bushmaster he just bought then went through my spare parts, you know how that goes. I haven't put a finish on them – – is there anything in the kit you purchased that I should watch out for?
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Get the kit without the preval sprayer. Use a gravity fed touch up gun and/or an airbrush. They have a multitude of different camo patterns and color combinations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.