Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jig for 80 %

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Chiroone View Post
    This is the one I own, the lower in the group buy fits perfectly

80% AR-15 Jig GEN 2 - 80% Products
    What bits do you use with this jig, I might as well order those as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Anyone In a multi state area want to share one? I'm thinking about winging it based on what I've been reading but you never know!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by stalker1 View Post
    Anyone In a multi state area want to share one? I'm thinking about winging it based on what I've been reading but you never know!
    more ammo for willie

I did a 0% dsa forged receiver once without a tacticoo( tactical machine) or CNC jig with hand tool and drill press using a old tannery 80% as a guide I also had a old OSI jig osi jigs do not have the fcg jigs, I carved out the fire control group ( FCG) with only micrometer & drill press the osi jig has the pin alignment holes. the rest with memebr borrowed jigs of all brands and hand tools & drill press

so it can be done without the two jigs mentioned above, if your a milling machine guy you don't need them either

but heck what do I know, I have only carved out 10 of these both alum & polymer, 1)0% alum 2) 80% polymer 5) 80% alum forged 2) tannery 80% castings, over the past 20years

seems the moderator did not like my suggestion, there is no one jig better than the others only the skill of the person doing the building

if newer members need advice please feel free to pm me
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    IIRC; 5/32 drill bit to drill out the hammer pin and trigger pin holes, 3/8 for the selector hole, 1/4 for rear take down pin hole(not quite as sure on that one) 4 flute 5/16 end mill to mill out hammer and trigger pockets.

You may also want to get a dremel tool with the sanding drums to smooth out the pocket as you may want to make these slightly under sized. It is easy to take some more metal off then it is to put more on

Also, get some cutting fluid. Do not skip on the drill bits or mill bits, they need to be very sharp or you will have some problems. If you are using a drill press, consider getting a decent x y sliding vise. Harbor Freight has some that are usable, just make sure you tighten the jibs so that there is no play.

Oh, and Sprat, I had no problem with your suggestions on what jig to use. I have no particular love affair with any of them. I just did not want a lot of off topic posts on the group buy thread. It is my regimental personality, being from a military family, to keep things in extreme order and precision. In retrospect, I guess I should have just moved it to another thread, there was no offense intended. I am new to the moderator post and am still learning the duties.
    Last edited by Chiroone; 08-23-2014 at 05:14 PM.
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

You really only need D & F for drill bits. You need a long 1/4" end mill for trigger slot and 3/8" for the trigger cavity. I use a 1/2" end mill as well, but not required.

drillguide.jpg

Feedback Score

Thanks for the print, sprat sent me a complete blue print, I printed it and am having it laminated at staples.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Thanks for the print, sprat sent me a complete blue print, I printed it and am having it laminated at staples.
    Did you click the link I gave you above? it has the layout for the drilled holes and read outs if you are using DRO.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62x39 View Post
    Did you click the link I gave you above? it has the layout for the drilled holes and read outs if you are using DRO.
    Ohhh- i would have had that laminated also, I'll have to do it tomorrow. That's great thanks.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Sprat View Post
    more ammo for willie

I did a 0% dsa forged receiver once without a tacticoo( tactical machine) or CNC jig with hand tool and drill press using a old tannery 80% as a guide I also had a old OSI jig osi jigs do not have the fcg jigs, I carved out the fire control group ( FCG) with only micrometer & drill press the osi jig has the pin alignment holes. the rest with memebr borrowed jigs of all brands and hand tools & drill press

so it can be done without the two jigs mentioned above, if your a milling machine guy you don't need them either

but heck what do I know, I have only carved out 10 of these both alum & polymer, 1)0% alum 2) 80% polymer 5) 80% alum forged 2) tannery 80% castings, over the past 20years

seems the moderator did not like my suggestion, there is no one jig better than the others only the skill of the person doing the building

if newer members need advice please feel free to pm me
    I doubt that any individual on Gunco or WG has more determination or perseverance to do the most with the least than Sprat. Although we do disagree like a couple of old men, the bottom line is I believe we have both gained mutual respect for each others abilities. We do use different tools but we do have many common ideas with different ways of reaching the ends. Sprat is OK in my book.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Ohhh- i would have had that laminated also, I'll have to do it tomorrow. That's great thanks.
    Be sure to pay attention on hole #5. It is offset .031 from the rest

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.