80% receiver tips
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 80% receiver tips

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default 80% receiver tips

Just a few things that I've picked up along the way.

A short piece of 1-1/2" painters tape is just the right size to protect the lower while performing the machining operations.

A 1/4" clevis pin not only works well to secure the front of the jig, it also makes a handy tool for installing the pivot pin detent and spring when the time comes.

It is very important to keep the chips cleared out while machining. Unfortunately I was born with only two hands (both of which are kept firmly around the router) so I came up with this handy, dandy vac attachment out of a piece of 1" copper pipe and some 1" hose from Lowes.

Just be sure to keep it way away from the machining area. I secured mine with a copper pipe hanger

stalker1 and mtdew like this.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

While on the subject of drilling, I have a certain order that I like to use. Imagine the holes in the drill guide numbered 1-9 top to bottom.

I like to start out with Hole number #4 which is the only "A" hole. Then I drill #8 which if using a gen ll receiver will be the only "B" depth hole.
    Then set your drill to "C" depth and drill the rest of the holes in this order #1, #3, #2, #5, #7, #6. You will not be drilling #9 if you have a gen ll lower. By doing them in this order you will keep any tension equal on both sides of holes #2 & #5. I feel that it is worth consideration because those two holes are extremely close to their neighbors.
    stalker1 and mtdew like this.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Max, great idea on the chip vacuuming fixture, dumping the chips was always the biggest PITA. Going to try to put one of those together myself. What are doing in the way of lube when you chock up the rotor and start making chips?
    Last edited by Chiroone; 01-21-2016 at 09:21 AM.
    Nemo ME Impune Lacessit
    Manus sapiens potens est
    пиштоли не убиваат луѓе, тие само го прават тоа полесно

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yup there's always got to be "1 a hole" in the bunch!!! No matter what,,

Come-on Gimme a break X39,,I haven't picked on anyone all day long

in the blueridge mtns nutznboltz's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'm getting ready to go to bed twa. Waiting on a bud to bring the fixture to maybe, finally break loose that locking nut on the buffer tube. Hell I deserve a flogging in the market square!! All this to break the blue loctite so I can put a simple sling attachment on the end plate on a rifle system i've worked on since the early 80's. Been assembling/building them since the late 70's and blue loctite has me stymied. Been rational and calm till now. When my bud shows up with the receiver block more heat and torque will get er done! Got one of original tech manuals on the system. Not like i'm a fng on this stuff. Just military trained. Almost 40 years of my adult life on stoners system here that's why i'm persistent. Night twa.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Chiroone View Post
    ...What are doing in the way of lube when you chock up the rotor and start making chips?
    I usually use cutting oil while drilling and WD40 while milling. There is always a squirt can of cutting oil sitting beside the drill press. I like to use that whenever I am drilling anything. But the WD40 does a better job of flushing out the chips while milling.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

7.62, Do the same thing but it's still good to see somebody else reaffirms the choice. Definitely the WD40 is great for blowing stuff out of the way. Just in case there's a rookie out there, don't forget the goggles! You only have two eyes.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by stalker1 View Post
    7.62, Do the same thing but it's still good to see somebody else reaffirms the choice. Definitely the WD40 is great for blowing stuff out of the way. Just in case there's a rookie out there, don't forget the goggles! You only have two eyes.
    Dilios, I trust that "scratch" hasn't made you useless.
    Hardly, my lord, it's just an eye. The gods saw fit to grace me with a spare.
    Whatever site I read it on as a members tag line, it's the truest statement ever made.
    "Our forefathers would have been shooting by now"
    member # 575

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thank god I still have nine and a half fingers left!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

max -- are you up to a room full by now?

Moderation is for those who don't know how to succeed with excess.
    mtdew likes this.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.