AR build
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: AR build

Feedback Score

Default AR build

Is it really cheaper to build an AR from the ground up? And what are the benefits over buying one complete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

if you shop real careful you can still build it cheaper.. not much cheaper.. but a little.

& you can say you assembled it yourself.. because if you buy the parts & lego it.... thats not really "building" .. its just assembling.
    Hate takes LESS energy & thought... Dont be so Lazy.

Building or Bitching? which are you here to do?

YES, i work for TEC Tactical. 02/07 SOT

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Good morning Sir, and welcome to the club. I consider myself a amatuer in this field as I have only assembled five over the last few years. My first build was a 100% Anderson kit with Anderson stripped lower bought separately. I had about $440 in that 16" carbine when I finished. I bought Anderson because they are local and close to milspec. Number two was a 11.5" pistol with a spikes stripped lower and a PSA upper that ran me about $500. The next three I went fancy with free float handguards and I bet I have between 6 to 7 hundred in each. Most of my parts I got from TRIGGERS in Northern Kentucky, or POINT BLANK in Cincinnati. I check Slickguns every day to see what's up. I saw a complete 16" carbine going for $399.99 a month ago at a out of state vender listed at Slickguns. I now know my children inside and out now.
    PS: Aim Surplus is in Monroe, Ohio about 30 miles from where I sleep. They sell AR parts and stuff also. Good company that makes us happy.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

It is doubtful that you are going to find a complete AR for sale set up EXACTLY the way you want it. As soon as you start swapping out parts to get it set up exactly how you want it, anything you saved by buying it as complete rifle just went right out the window. Which will also leave you with a bunch of takeoff parts with little or no resale value.

The other thing to consider when purchasing a value based rifle, is that every piece of it was sourced with a single thought in mind. That being the cheapest part available. Build it yourself, step up a little when buying the barrel and FCG and look to save money on other, less critical pieces.

Feedback Score

This is just my opinion, but in today's market , ( got a flyer for a complete AR for 399) that you can build for significantly cheaper than you can buy. That said there are still a lot of very good reasons to build. Of the 15+ AR's I currently own only two where purchased as complete rifles. Most of mine were built purchasing one some times two part per pay period, meaning that there was no sudden expenditure to alert the "Domestic CFO" to my acquisition. (fortunately ARs all look pretty much the same to her) there is also the that little sense of pride in knowing I built that and it is exactly the way I envisioned it. Building/Assembling an AR also forces you to learn about how it operates and in my case at least forces me to think , what is the purpose of the build. The down side is there is no warranty and if something doesn't work you are going to have to figure it out (for instance why doesn't steel case ammo function well in a mid length gas system?) or you are goign to have to pay someone to figure it out for you. ( Gunsmiths in my area starts around $60 an hour and they charge by the 1/2 hour.) Also I would guess that about 4 of my rifles began as parts I swapped off another rifle and threw in a box. Then, one day I look in the box and realize that I am one to five parts away from having another rifle. So I get those parts and build the other rifle (it is always going to be the last one I build.) after using it a few time I remember why I took those parts off in the first place and begin to replace them and they go back in the box,,, then one day there is most of a gun in the box again! .. So REPEAT the process...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nhgunnut2 View Post
    This is just my opinion, but in today's market , ( got a flyer for a complete AR for 399) that you can build for significantly cheaper than you can buy. That said there are still a lot of very good reasons to build. Of the 15+ AR's I currently own only two where purchased as complete rifles. Most of mine were built purchasing one some times two part per pay period, meaning that there was no sudden expenditure to alert the "Domestic CFO" to my acquisition. (fortunately ARs all look pretty much the same to her) there is also the that little sense of pride in knowing I built that and it is exactly the way I envisioned it. Building/Assembling an AR also forces you to learn about how it operates and in my case at least forces me to think , what is the purpose of the build. The down side is there is no warranty and if something doesn't work you are going to have to figure it out (for instance why doesn't steel case ammo function well in a mid length gas system?) or you are goign to have to pay someone to figure it out for you. ( Gunsmiths in my area starts around $60 an hour and they charge by the 1/2 hour.) Also I would guess that about 4 of my rifles began as parts I swapped off another rifle and threw in a box. Then, one day I look in the box and realize that I am one to five parts away from having another rifle. So I get those parts and build the other rifle (it is always going to be the last one I build.) after using it a few time I remember why I took those parts off in the first place and begin to replace them and they go back in the box,,, then one day there is most of a gun in the box again! .. So REPEAT the process...
    Exactly my process on many of my AR's. And I also have a big box of "standard" parts that I can't give away!
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

in the blueridge mtns nutznboltz's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ahem.cough cough. Did someone say give away? ROFL! Kidding brother.

But?
    BTW I was thinking this morning how us grunts used bicycle innertube on the tube of collapsible stocks to stop the noise of the stock/tube.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

While i'm waiting on the eye surgery to repair the cataract surgery I went ahead and ordered one of the devices from Bair Arms. The latest in simulated auto fire.
    Mike is a nice enough guy who is right up the interstate from me in Reston Va.
    Might be fun and the son should get a grin anyway.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

And to borrow one of the wife's sayings?
    This thing? Had it forever

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Anderson lowers are $39. That's cheaper than a 80%. I have seen builders kits with a % receiver for $399 but buying a parts kit with a 100% receiver is way less work and if you look around you can find complete rifles for $450. Dig A LOT and surf the net, you can piece one together for $300
    Pryotex is TEC Tactical, A Licensed 07/SOT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.