AR10 Modulous Arms & GM WIlly
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR10 Modulous Arms & GM WIlly

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Default AR10 Modulous Arms & GM WIlly

This is a quick review/run thru of GMwilly & Modulous Arms throw together of an AR10 that i did on a rainy day in the garage.

heres what involved:

AR upper = GMWilly as usual Gary has a solid product & this was one he called a "blem finish" ... visually i didnt see anything wrong with this upper other than the usual scuff or smudge that you get when you biff them around on a benchtop... which i do to everything. Gary put a cool handguard on this one & it was a hell of a deal as always when you deal with him. NEVER a bad deal & NEVER a bad product when you deal with GMWilly.

stocks, grips, sites & mags = MagPu..... clean & simple for the 16" barrel & forestock set up.

Lower = Modulous Arms 80% AR10 lower, finished out with their jig.

so lets talk about doing this 80% with Modulous stuff. They are super fast with their $9.99 flat rate shipping. (2 days)

The jig is well thought out & you can print off instructions from them... which you need to follow & i naturally missed a step. :-)
    This was no ones fault but my own. good news is it only cost me a #8x32 bolt... as i drilled thru it after forgetting to take it out... again if i followed the instructions & paid attention, this wouldnt have happened.

anyone who gets one of these jigs & reads the directions ALL the way thru before they start will know exactly what NOT to do.

as to using the set up? since i hadnt used it before & made that first mistake.. that made me gun shy & i triple checked everything from there.. The handiest thing in this kit is the depth gauge for your bits. It looks weird for them to be soooo long. BUT after you take in the fact that the guides & jig are ABOVE the lower? then it makes sense. Still, i checked & checked & checked again because thats a LOT of bit sticking out there.

It works just like they say it does. Gotta remember that they designed this set up to work with a router in 1/4" passes after your drilling & i was using a mill & getting it all at once instead. IF your gonna do it with a mill? You need LONG bits.. about 3" over all length.

something to note: i actually use "aluma" mill bits designed for aluminum, so that you need no fluid or cooling. Most people dont use these.. they are better with their mills than me & know how to use them properly... im a novice at best, so go with the better tooling to cover up my lack of ability/skillset. With that, i have my shop vac running on the back side of the jig & it pulls the chips out as you go. (less mess)

these AR 10 lowers are NOT cheap so blindly trusting a jig to be perfect is a bit tough to do.... If someone is doing several of these? im sure the next ones would be much faster as you build up faith in the set up.

THE LOWER= as mentioned its the one that Modulous sells as a companion piece to the jig. THIS seems to be the weakest point of the entire put together.

The dims measure good on the outside & it matches up perfect to the upper. finish was pretty good, rear tower was perfect, mounting holes were perfect.

THEN the bad: magwell is loose & sloppier than a... uh well .. yeah a well worn pair of house shoes...
    Im gonna check a couple other brand of magazines & see if maybe its just a bad fit for the MagPul... but MP's stuff is always usually spot on & these just flop around in there... A LOT.

Im also gonna talk to Max(GUNCO Admin/Modulous Arms Rep) about this & see if he has any input or if its a one off thing.

i have 2 of these MagPul mags & they both are sloppy in there.... at the same time: also have a Tactical Machining AR10 lower that i did with this same jig & its much tighter... but still drop out loose.

REMEMBER: these 80% come with the magwell already done. so lets see how it goes.

cleaned it all up.. put it all together & took it out for a test fire. it feeds, fires & ejects... but the rain moved in & didnt get to put but 1 mag thru it.
    did i mention that this thing kicks way harder than i expected it too?

guessing its because its so much lighter than my CETME's & the shorter barrel... but yee haw! its got a good kick. will ad video later on a sunny day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hate takes LESS energy & thought... Dont be so Lazy.

Building or Bitching? which are you here to do?

YES, i work for TEC Tactical. 02/07 SOT

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Who needs instructions?
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Just kidding of course. Good job!
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Sean, I have only one 308 lower receiver to reference at the moment. This is one of my own personal rifles, which I just built about a month ago. The magwell measures approximately 1.082 X 2.957. The magpul magazine that I have measures aprox 1.063 X 2.945 leaving about .019 side to side clearance and aprox .012 fore and aft. Overall I would rate the mag fit as very good.

What are you getting for measurements?

308ld.jpg

308rd.jpg

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

thanks for checking in bub.

i'll get to the garage tomorrow night & mic it out & post it here what it is...

read somewhere that magwell size was the difference in these lower patterns? dpms vs armalite? is that true?

if it is the case then id just need the other mags. hope its that simple!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

These lowers are designed to be compatible with all DPMS gen l components including these Pmags. LINK Magpul PMAG LR/SR Gen M3 Mag LR-308 SR-25 Ruger Precision Rifle 308

The footnote to these mags says
    NOTE: NOT compatible with Armalite AR-10B, Noveske N6, Springfield Armory M1A, Rock River Arms LAR8, FN SCAR 17S, PTR-91, HK417 or any other rifles that utilize M14, FN FAL, or HK 91/G3 patterned magazines

So yes, the mags are different

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

yeah i got gen3 MagPuls in 20 rndrs from them....

will attempt to post ya a video of the movement with the numbers of both the magwell & these magazines to see what you think.

your awesome with the help!

sk

in the blueridge mtns nutznboltz's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I spent an afternoon chatting with Gary. Super nice guy and I can't recommend him more highly. Rare for me. We're on the same page. I think three uppers now? Even my X39. Last was the sons 300 BO.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Max,

hey bub... heres the info & video! tell me what you think & if this is what other people have? then i guess thats good enough.

magwell size (from the top of the reciever) 2.953 x 1.082

pagpul size at the first support rib marker 2.92 x 1.055

& heres what it looks sounds like:

in the blueridge mtns nutznboltz's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wasn't going to mention the upgrade from Gary on my son's 300BO. He did me right on that deal to.
    He deserves more notice here. Nuff said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.