Thread: Wanted Quality kit

Feedback Score

Want to Buy/Wanted Reccomend Quality AK47 kit

First off I am new. I have been reading up on this for sometime. Everyone is so helpful.

Ok I purchased to Rommy kits for my first build. These are ok to practice on. If I am to keep something I want it to be nice. I have read the hungarian /bulgarian and Russian are much nicer. Is this true and can I still find one for under $500? I think I would be happier with a kit with a milled receiver. A underfold is nice but not that necessary a chromed lined barrel is a plus. So please reccomend and if you want to sell your kit PM me. KEep in mind when I speak of quality I mean how well stuff is machined ect. Not the finish. I will redo the finish unless it's like new.

Thanks
    Ralph
    Last edited by cpu77; 09-16-2005 at 09:15 PM.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Ohio rapid fire in the classified section just put up that they have some more bulgarians in new condition starting at $269 for a fixed stock version.......If I hadn't purchased 3 kits different kits in the last 30 days allready I'd be up for one!

Milled kits can be found, but the build cost is extremly expensive as only two companies make a milled reciever and they are quite expensive.

The finish on the bulgarians is supposed to be like new, so no refinish necessary I would guess, they do also have folders!

Feedback Score

Ralph,

There is nothing low quality about the Romanian kits. I'm guessing that this lower quality mind set is from the WASRs out there. It's my understanding that the WASRs were not even built in the same arsenals/factories as the military kits available. The Romanian military kits are just as high quality as any of the Polish or Bulgarian kits I've purchased. Now if someone has some info about the quality of metal used in the Romanian military kits beings sub standard, I'd be interested in seeing that. The finish on the Romanian kits isn't all that great. I refinish all the builds I do anyway so this is not a problem for me. I must also add that the finish on the Bulgarian and Polish kits sucked too... just take some acetone or brake cleaner to them and watch the finish melt away before your eyes.

Here's some pics of a Romanian kit I recently built. IMHO, the quality of parts used and machined are on par with the Polish and Bulgarians I've built.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I agree with Mob-45. I was pleasantly surprised with the Romy kits. Lois from Centerfire(http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14325) just posted that she would have some Hungarian AKM kits for $199 real soon if you wanted something different than your Romys. Also those fixed stock 74s from a Ohio Rapid fire that Meyerse posted about are a good deal in todays market(http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14393).
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The machining on the few romanians I've seen seems to be rougher than on any of the other kits I've seen (Yugo, Bulgy, Tantal, AMD) Lot's of machining marks. Still as good as any of them I suppose.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

The Bulgarians are ULTRA Sweet, followed by the Polish IMO, then the Romy kits. This is the order IMO of what is availible. Now the Yugo M-92 Krinks are BRAND NEW and in the 4-500 range.

That being said the Romy kits are really nice refinished, or great kits for a battlefield pick up look.
    "It's all over but the cryin'!"Moonshiner

Feedback Score

Well I am not concerned with coatings or the furniture. Are there any AK47 kits that have the fit and machinig to that of AR15's? BTW my kits are nice for what they are. Ibought one from dph the other from center. Things like the bolt not being nicely machined ect drive me crazy. I know they are AK's I just want something that is concourse

mob_45

What finish is on your metal? I am thinking of powder coating one kit. (I have a powder coating sys for car stuff)

Thanks guys although I am not really getting the answer I hoped

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cpu77
    I just want something that is concourse
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by cpu77
    Well I am not concerned with coatings or the furniture. Are there any AK47 kits that have the fit and machinig to that of AR15's? BTW my kits are nice for what they are. Ibought one from dph the other from center. Things like the bolt not being nicely machined ect drive me crazy. I know they are AK's I just want something that is concourse

mob_45

What finish is on your metal? I am thinking of powder coating one kit. (I have a powder coating sys for car stuff)

Thanks guys although I am not really getting the answer I hoped
    The finish on that Romanian AK I built is semi-gloss MolyResin. Very tough and durable finish. It stands up to the harshest solvents like acetone and brake cleaner.

If you're looking for an AK without any machine markings... good luck. Even my Arsenal Classic and Galil AR have some machine/milling marks inside the receiver and on the bolt. If you do want the most solid and well built AK (or variants), I would suggest getting an Arsenal milled AK, a Galil (big $$) or a Valmet (also big $$). Fortunately, I bought my Galil AR back in 1987 for $700. I believe they now run around $2,000 to $3,000.

BTW, why did the mods move this thread to the classifieds???

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm in agreement about the Romanians, I have a tantal, a AMD-65, a Yugo underfolder all in great condition, but there is something about the romanians that I like, I have more than one!

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.