Gunco Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTB: Milling work on PSL receiver

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  sgrimm 
#1 ·
Gent's. I made the mistake of picking up a TGI receiver for my PSL kit. I was hoping there was someone among you who can turn this non spec POS receiver into something that will allow the bolt to move freely on. Please let me know.

#3 ·
It was not a mistake, just a learning curve option. Now there are no more NDS receivers so everyone gets to go your route of build.

The top rails need to be opened up after you have riveted in the front & rear trunnions. This will give you a stable base to make a parallel set of upper rails that the bolt carrier & bolt will ride upon without binding. If you had less metal in the rails area, you would have a paper weight to look at. It can be done with a hand file & a pair of dial calipers if you go slowly. Use your bolt carrier to check the action to make sure you don't cut off too much metal from the upper rails.

The under finished scope rail requires more attention to get a scope base to fit it; usually a 30 degree dove tail mill end will clean up the rail, but you need a good mill to do that operation!

Good luck on your build, it can be done with patience & skill!

#4 ·
So far I have used only hand files steady even strokes, I have full motion in the bolt/bolt carrier no binding and no mistakes...so far. The part that I may enlist someone on is the Scope rail as I don't have access to a mill and I don't think the hand files will cut it (figuratively speaking).

#11 ·
That is something I had to do with just about every Ewbank receiver I used.
DCI is much better, but sometimes I like a custom fitted receiver.
Even the scope rail can be fitted using just a small triangle file.

Good luck
Bret

#12 ·
I sent my TGI-imported PSL receiver to a machinist to have the scope rail milled.

He returned it without the work being done. Said the receiver would flex too much for the rail to be milled.

A dovetail file, or a triangular file with one side ground smooth will get the job done, albeit slowly.

#13 ·
There was a post thread a while back where a member made a jig to do the scope rail millling. He bolted the entire receiver, with only the front & rear trunnion installed to the mill table & trued up the scope rail with a 30 degree dovetailed millend. He also did the upper rails in another operation to correct all the problems on the receiver. For the life of me, I can't remember where I saw this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.