Gunco Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTS: Skeletonized Stocks

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  gwailo 
#1 · (Edited)
WTS: Skeletonized Stocks (now with free shipping)

I didn't really care for any of the other "modular" type stocks that are on the market, so I made my own. I've been quite pleased with their performance, so I'm offering them for sale now:

I'm calling the basic model the Wolverine... It fits an Ace type receiver block or folding mechanism, has a built-in sling mounting point, and includes an AR slip on rubber butt pad:

Price with the standard butt pad is $105 each plus flat rate shipping. Add $35 for a Limbsaver recoil pad. These are available in two different lengths (check my website for more details), and include mounting hardware.

My second model, the Werewolf, is a further development of my basic stock, that includes an adjustable kydex cheek rest for use with an optical sight:

It's available in the same lengths as the Wolverine. The cheek rest adjusts quickly using a pair of low profile thumb nuts (which can be reversed to the other side). When installed on an AK with an Ace folding mechanism, it is narrow enough to fold flat to the left side (you have to use a top mounted optic rail like the TWS or Krebs):

The Werewolf is priced at $150 each with the standard butt pad, plus flat rate shipping. Add $35 to substitute a Limbsaver recoil pad. For a sling mount, either use one of the folding mechanisms that provides for a sling attachment, or I can weld on a standard QD type attachment point for another $10, as pictured on my .308 Saiga above.

Both stocks are constructed from 4130N aircraft tubing and sheet, TIG welded in a hard jig to ensure correct alignment. Finish is a low-gloss black powder coat. Unfortunately due to the cost of shipping hazmat materials to Alaska, this is the only finish I can offer at this time. At special request if I have any unfinished units in stock, I can ship it in bare steel (same price) if you want to have it finished to match your firearm, so at least you or your refinisher won't have to remove the powder coating. Made by hand in the USA, and indelibly marked for your 922r compliance.

For more details, or to ask a question, feel free to PM me, post here, send email to info@boomsticksforever.com, or visit my website at Boomsticks Forever.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure why, but I can't see the pics. I just get a big red X.

#5 ·
That's interesting. The pictures should be sourced directly from my website. Did you try the website?

Thanks for the comments. I don't expect that I'll be much of a threat to the bigger manufacturers, but for somebody who wants something a bit out of the ordinary, I think I provide that. Nobody else makes a stock out of chrome-moly that I'm aware of; I doubt anybody else would, because of the labor involved. And while there are other modular stocks with a cheek rest option, most of them either aren't adjustable, or require tools to adjust. With mine, if the scope breaks, to get on the irons, all you have to do is twist each of the thumb nuts a little, and slap the rest down with the palm of your hand.

#6 ·
I'm on a diffent computer today, and I still get the red X's. WTF?!?!?! Unfortunately my work computer security won't let me go to your website. Could I get you to maybe e-mail me a couple of pics? Sorry for the trouble, but I am really interested in checking out what you have.

Jetmd928@hotmail.com Thanks in advance,

#10 ·
I'm a better welder than I am a photographer, but I thought I would share this picture of one I welded up tonight, before throwing it in the blast cabinet:

This is the shorter version of the basic Wolverine stock, showing the butt plate without the spacer or slip-on recoil pad installed. Weld beads are left alone, except for the sling mount tube, which I smooth to prevent any chafing of the sling.

The finish I use is a flat black, but some people may want something different, in order to match their rifle. Unfortunately due to the difficulty of getting hazmat shipped to Alaska I can't accommodate special finishing requests. But what I can do, is ship you a stock in this condition, along with the recoil pad and the spacer which is glued on after finishing (the spacer just fills the extra space in the slip on pad, which is meant for a 1/4" thick AR stock). That way, you or your builder can finish the stock to match your rifle, without having to strip off the original finish. I don't offer a discount for this, since I don't really want people requesting it to save money and then rattle canning one of my stocks, but it is an option if you want something other than black.

#11 ·
I had an inquiry the other day as to the length of the stocks, from mounting flange to butt plate, without the recoil pad. The standard length is about 9.5", and the shorty 8-7/16", but that INCLUDES the 3/16" thick rubber spacer that gets glued on, which is required to make the slip on pad fit correctly. The standard pad adds a little bit to that, and the Limbsaver a little bit more since it is much thicker and softer.

And you really need both the spacer and recoil pad to use this, as you can see from the above photo. I designed it this way so it can get the full benefit of the strength of chrome moly steel, while still being comparable in weight to modular stocks made of other materials such as aluminum. I'm offering the information on the length sans pad, so if you wanted to use a different pad besides the ones that I offer, you can figure out how long the combination will be. One advantage of these stocks, is that by using a standard pad for a common rifle, you have several different options to choose from, and they are easy to swap out.

Another customer inquired as to length compared to an AK Warsaw length stock. My Shorty stock WITHOUT a folding mechanism is slightly shorter than warsaw length, and with a folder, it is slightly longer, with the standard pad. A Limbsaver, of course, adds a little extra length. If there were enough of a demand, I could probably make another spacer for my welding jig, that would allow a stock that is even shorter still, but I can't see the need personally for one that short.

#15 ·
Bump. Here's an unsolicited email that I received from a satisfied customer a while back:

Hi, I just received the stock today and just got done installing it. Personally,
this is the best stock I've owned for the AK rifle. I've had the regular plastic
stock, the DPH Skeleton stock, Tromix stock and the Ace Galil style stock. Those
stocks are well built, but to me just didn't look right on the AK. The triangular
shaped stocks like the AKS-74u stocks and your Wolverine stock match the AK rifles
and shotguns I think much better than what's out there. The stock looks real good
and doesn't have that upward angle appearance. For some reason, the ACE Galil stock
has an noticeable upward appearance and feel. Very satisfied customer here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.