Thread: WTS: Modular Stock Adapter, Winchester 1300/Defender

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default WTS: Modular Stock Adapter, Winchester 1300/Defender (price reduced)

So, I was in the market for a generic defensive pump shotgun, and I found a used Winchester Defender at a local shop in good shape. The wood stock was fine and all, but me being me, I thought mounting one of my Wolverine stocks with a Limbsaver and a folding mechanism would be cool. I soon discovered that nobody made a receiver block for the 1300 anymore, sooooo....

I got a little creative with some chrome-moly steel and my TIG welder, and this was the result:

Prototype stock adapter mounted with modified AK SAW pistol grip, CSS push button mechanism, and a Shorty Wolverine stock with the Limbsaver pad. Here's a folded pic:

I took it to the range a few weeks ago and shot the hell out of it. I put as many rounds of heavy buck and slugs through it as my shoulder could take, plus a bunch of trap loads. The adapter held up extremely well (far better than I did), so I decided to make a welding jig and make a few more up for sale.

I ended up making 3 more of them. Even with the hard jig for welding, they ended up being a lot more time consuming to make than I had anticipated. I will most likely not be making any more of them, unless these sell well and people demand more, while waving a bunch of cash in my face. But probably not, and certainly not for this price. Here's a closer view of the prototype installed on my shotgun:

Note that I have the stock installed fairly low. That's because I'm just using the plain sighting bead at the end of the barrel. If I were running an optic or rifle sights, I would have it mounted higher. There are two sets of mounting holes in the back of the adapter; one set is centered, and the other is lower. Using a folding mechanism with the slotted mounting holes, that gives a very wide range of adjustment for getting the comb height where you need it.

Construction is 4130N steel, with all edges and corners nicely rounded. A couple corners on my prototype you can see I didn't bother because they weren't bothering me, but the ones I am offering for sale got a full "melt" treatment. They use a regular AK grip nut, and a slightly modified AK grip. You can probably make just about any AK grip work, but the SAW style is what I am including.

The grip mod consists of rounding the upper left front corner off to ease access to the slide release. You have to shift your grip slightly in order to hit it, but it doesn't pose a huge problem. The 1300's slide release is tiny and sucks even with the factory stock installed, but if you have one, you probably know that. My wife has much smaller hands than I do, and she could still operate the safety and the slide release.

Adapters are finished in flat black industrial powder coat, and include the pistol grip, plus all necessary hardware for installation. Shotgun, stock and folding mechanism not included. This is what you get:

Price is $80 (reduced) per set, shipped in the US. US Postal money order only, please. Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by netpackrat; 09-05-2013 at 02:31 AM. Reason: reduce price.
    http://www.boomsticksforever.com/
    Specializing in hand-built modular stocks.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Thread bump with another picture showing the integral sling mount of the Wolverine stock in use.

I took my shotgun with the prototype adapter out last weekend and shot it a bunch. I'm still an 870 guy where pumps are concerned, but this Winchester is really starting to grow on me. Surely there has to be somebody on this group with an old Winnie shotgun sitting in the closet, just itching to be converted into an evil, black, pistol gripped assault shotgun of doom. Make your old shotgun a happy, evil shotgun, in honor of the recent election. You know you want to.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Damn thats pretty cool Packrat. I like it!!!
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    Damn thats pretty cool Packrat. I like it!!!
    Thanks. Even if I don't sell any of the adapters, I'm pretty happy with the way the shotgun turned out. I realize that the design is a little unconventional in appearance, but I really think it was the best way to keep the 5/16" mounting bolt from interfering with the stock mounting bolt pattern.

I suspect the orientation of that bolt is probably the main reason why Mesa Tactical only ever made a high tube mount for this shotgun, because that got the stock mount up out of the way and you could still get the mounting bolt installed in a milled aluminum block. Plus, with my design, you don't need a gun rack to hang it on the wall. Any coat rack will do.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Bump because we seem to have more traffic lately plus a few new users.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Still have a couple of these.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Reducing the price on these sets to $80 each shipped for Gunco members. Once they are gone, I don't expect to make any more of them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A coupla sheet metal plates with interior flanges and a through bolt could be fabricated fairly easily if the open area was too offensive to anyone. I like it. I have an old beater 1300 that I may turn "tacticool".
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I got a comment or two on another group from guys who thought that the sides should be covered. I tend to disagree on the theory that simple is better, and I don't want parts that add zero functionality there to get loose and possibly cause problems for the operator. Almost nobody buys a pump shotgun for its looks.

I've since added a Hogue foregrip and fabricated an extended bolt release. I'm pretty happy with how this shotgun turned out.

Search tags for this page

mesa tactical winchester stock adapter

stock adaptor winchester 1300

tactical winchester defender 1300

winchester 1300 stock

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.