Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AR in 7.62X39 ???

Feedback Score

Post1911 AR in 7.62X39 ???

Gentlemens and Siretts

I've avoided the AR because of the bolt assist. Now the high end Mfrs are leaving the offending item off. Now I wanna build one.

I'm thinking that 7.62X39 has a certain similarity to the 300 Whisper.

Does anyone know if the AR action can handle increased pressure?

Can the AR be made to fire without cycling the action, while still being able to go back to normal operation?

Thanks for your input!!

Feedback Score
    5 (78%)

i got a dpms upper from midway chambered 7.62 and love it

Feedback Score

guess you could get one in about anything that is suitable for that receiver.
    Did you see the sniper show on the history channel the other night?
    They said the AR15 was all over the world before the U.S. approved it for the military.
    One can get bout anything he wants now-a-days.
    j-man

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have a Colt in 7.62 by 39....it is a shooting machine. Damn accurate too.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    guess you could get one in about anything that is suitable for that receiver.
    Did you see the sniper show on the history channel the other night?
    They said the AR15 was all over the world before the U.S. approved it for the military.
    One can get bout anything he wants now-a-days.
    j-man
    j-man. Going on memory on this from my D.A.V. magazine.
    George Sullivan? and Stoner developed the ammo and the M-16s.
    A vet wrote the story so I am going on his word.
    He got the lucky job of testing future weapons for the military. In advanced infantry training no less. Lucky guy. The weapons tested were the M-14, Stoner own weapon, and the then version of the M-16. The stoner won hands down.
    What happened "politics." Colt had allready started production on the M-16. The Govt. ignored the tests and went with the M-16s which were not working for the guys. The rest is history. The first M-16s, just as the test group told them, did not work.
    In the rush to get a new weapon to the troops in the battlefield in Nam and to match the Aks firepower. They gave the Marines and some Army troops the, non working M-16.
    A lot of guys died because of the govts. fubar.

I wish I saved the article. But to answer Jims question. A new version of the M-16 was developed in a new caliber. The guts were based on a loose tolerance like the AK-47. The caliber is stronger. And the barrels can be interchanged for sniper, carbine, or standard weapon.
    The govt. again will not adopt this weapon. Money. It would cost too much to produce and get to our troops in the field.
    That was the base for my post on how the M-16 was working for our troops in Iraq.
    I don't own a AR and this story is going on memory.
    The troops that responded to my post said it is working fine. Great. But they said they prefer the knockdown power of the 7.62x39 for close quarters fighting.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the m-16 series is much improved since my first days with it back in 1980. i think most of the credit goes to better ammo and some better thought out layouts of the gas system.

my old a-1 was a jam-o-matic. the later a-2 and m-4's we got with the mk-262 ammo were much more reliable.

the series is very sensitive to bullet weight and the distance from the gas port to the end of the barrel, not to mention powder and mags --once you get that sorted they can be reliable. i can't even recall a jam with the m-4.

the best length barrels for the type are 14.5 inch, the 16 inch mid-length and the 20inch.

now the question is --changing the rifle to 7.62x39--is it as affected as the 5.56 on the distance from the port to the barrel??

i may build one if c-mags comes out with a reliable 7.62 mag for the AR's

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post j427x

I can't answer how the AR would work. But keep in mind guys are making the distance real short from port to barrel on the AKs and mine is still rocking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

I have a colt 7.62x39 AR and it shoots great but paying $40 each for franken-mags sucks. I only have one ~33 round frankenmag and a chinese AK drum frankenmag but I cant get the drum to work. Due to the mag issue if I want to shoot x39 I bust out the AK's.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Another guy with a 7.62x39 Colt AR checking in. Were I building one, I'd scare up a AR-47 lower first to eliminate the mag issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.