RPD
    Feedback Score

Me too...

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I have to get one....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thinking aloud here -

1. Other than having yet another caliber for an AR conversion, what's the appeal? Every serviceman I've spoken with, even the Green Beret, loves the AR platform. I for one believe that familiarity is a large part of that, since they have to depend on it for their lives. Me, I have never fired a gun at a 2-legged critter in anger, so I don't have that "preference" built-in to my mindset.

Therefore, I want to ask, why not just the AK-74? I'm being serious, and would like to have an intellectual discussion... I'm not trying to poo-poo the thread. Why do you want one? Magazine reliability? The aforementioned "upper swap" idea for another caliber? Or....?

I have an open mind on this because I have at least three different people that used to be in the service (including that GB) who are asking me what should they buy for their next gun purchase! I have been steering them toward a 6.8 platform....

2. The surplus corrisive ammo out there seems ill-suited to the AR platform. I for one would like to see a sealed piston system like all of these "new" designs that are popping up.

3. Surplus ammo is cheap, but what about reloading. .221 Fireball ammo can be resized - maybe - to 5.45x39 if you don't mind throwing away about 20-25% of the rounds that don't resize properly and split. That's 1/4 of the brass, and that won't be cheap, thus driving up the overall cost for investment.

.223 bullets can be easily resized to 5.6mm (which is actually what 5.45x39 ammo is) in a bullet sizing die (aka bump die). CH4D makes 5.45 reloaing dies for about $80 a set.

What we need is 5.45 *BRASS* cases. That would do the trick for me.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

If we could get enough interest, I'll bet we could get Privi-Partizan brass imported through Graf & Sons.
    Freedom is not free. Some will perish to preserve it for the many. Just as our Forefathers did before us, we must take up the battle and not waver. Victory is our only option.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Found this doing a quick search:

5.45 x 39mm M4 barrel

Apparently, Kurt is able to make a piston upper conversion from a K-Var barrel. This may be a good alternative for those not wanting the S&W offering. Personally I think the piston idea is far better due to the corrosive surplus ammo issue...

It appears Teppo-Jutsu is also making (or taking orders) for a 5.45 upper:

Teppo Jutsu - "Art of the Rifle" - Advanced Firearms Applications

look under products > 5.45x39

RPD
    Feedback Score

As far, as why I would want the upper.
    I can dunk an AR in soap and water just, as well, as an AK, and the ammo is less than half the price.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

That Bulgy surp 5.45 is dirty as hell.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

personaly i would stick with 223 or 5.56 and reload the brass 3 to 5 times. if you want to save on ammo costs. just because 5.45 is cheap now dont mean it will be next year. 7.62 x39 used to be $60 a case but now look at it.
    If 5.45 had BRASS and bullets avaliable I would be a lot more interested.

how accurate is the 5.45 ammo?? that would be a big concern to me as well. You are kind of stuck with only one type of bullet as well. the corrosive ammo issue would be a big deal to me also.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

use the cheap $60 barrel--the after the couple cases of cheap 5.45 has be used up. pull the 5.45 barrel and put a 5.56 or "other" barrel back i the upper and go back to shooting saving all the old parts except for the mags and barre/barrel ext-- you can put a 74 barrel in a AR for far less than building any ak-74 and your not married to the platform--when it ain't cheap shooting no more- a barrel swap back to OE is like a 30 min deal on a AR.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

use the cheap $60 barrel--the after the couple cases of cheap 5.45 has be used up. pull the 5.45 barrel and put a 5.56 or "other" barrel back i the upper and go back to shooting saving all the old parts except for the mags and barre/barrel ext-- you can put a 74 barrel in a AR for far less than building any ak-74 and your not married to the platform--when it ain't cheap shooting no more- a barrel swap back to OE is like a 30 min deal on a AR.
    I SEE. DOES THE 223 BOLT WORK ON THE 5.45 AMMO AS IS?? THE RIM IS A DIFFERANT ID
    IM NO AR EXPERT HAVE A COUPLE STRIPPED LOWERES FOR DOWN THE ROAD, FOR VARMIT BUILDS. HAVING TO MUCH FUN/SUCESS WITH MY VARMIT AK TO EVEN THINK AR RIGHT NOW. THE BARREL ONLY SWAP DOES MAKE BETTER SENSE THAN A COMPLETE UPPER TO ME. hOW PRICY ARE THE AR 5.45 MAGS??

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    hOW PRICY ARE THE AR 5.45 MAGS??

$19.95 each.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.