Gunco Forums banner

ATF going after AR -15 rifle owner

8K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  campperykid 
#1 ·
I just came across these video's of a great injustice to one of our Veterans by the ATF. If this can happen under a Republican president can you imagine what we have to look forward to under Hillary or Obama. Like Lou Dobb's says, where is the NRA ?Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com#/video/bestoftv/2008/05/07/ldt.gov.g Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

If you have an AR 15 please take a look at this, it will make your blood boil, Lou Dobb's just broke the story, and I got it FWD from my gun club- :help:

#3 ·
No harm in refreshing everyone's memory of this abuse of power. I get angered every time I think of it, this is a rotten state of Federal power.

#4 ·
Sorry guys - I should have checked the dates of the story, I just got it today, My bad, it won't happen again

#11 ·
Nalioth: I suggest that you get all of your facts from someone other than the government or the main media. The newest facts to come out of the trail do not in fact bear out your contention. I would suggest that you read information provided by either glen beck or lou dobbs , both of whom have studied the whole transcripts. And if those fail you, then perhaps the pages of the NRA or the GOA might suffice to show you what is really going on. It is also of interest that he was given an honorable discharge from the army , whom the prosecution has contended he was given a letter of reprimand for gun charges; something that the army disputes. Of course the government can call a you a terrorist because you like guns and that by its very nature makes you a law breaker.

#15 ·
Where is the outrage?

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
Plaintiff,
v. Case No. 06-CR-320
DAVID R. OLOFSON,
Defendant.
I respectfully request that you look into this particular case as an excess of regulatory powers of the BATFE
Sincerely
Gunnysmith
I have emailed both Senators and my Representative.
Please feel free to copy and send to your reps

#16 ·
It's to bad that 80 million gun owers can't get togather and flex thier views on such great injustic as this one. I know that the BATF is realy a bunch of whickos that loves to make a good PR story, no mather what or who it concerson.

#17 ·
I *STILL* don't know the real story - too much hearsay about "teenager doing this" or "gun running fine for hundreds of rounds then BAM" so I don't know what to think. If a jury was able to convict him, then it sure is a bad defense if he is actually "in the clear"... if not then I dunno. I just don't know about this one so I can't call it. We need a "just the facts" overview, with sources.

#20 ·
How many of you remember the Centenial park bombing at the Atlanta Olympics and the security guard named Richard Jewell? The FBI said he had books on bomb making and fit the profile of a bomber. The news media circus that followed him around for 4 months ruined his life. I remember seeing an interview with him years after he was cleared. He still couldn't get a job even though he had a letter from the FBI clearing him of any wrong doing. He was bankrupt on account of the legal fees and no income. The "BOOK" he had was on recognizing bombs and what steps should be taken to clear the area. If anything he should be given an award for being alert enough in the first place to notice that the duffle bag looked suspicious and getting the process started on evacuating people from the area. But what did he get instead? The shaft. Olofson is in the same situation in my opinion. Even if he is eventually cleared is he going to get his good name back? Isn't every potential employer going to think of this incident as a black mark on his background? Who is going go reimburse Olofson for his legal fees and loss of income from this incident? No one, if he is cleared he still gets the shaft

#21 ·
NBC stood by their story, but later agreed to a reported settlement of $500,000 in December 1997. They issued a statement saying they agreed on the settlement to protect confidential sources.

The settlements—NBC's for more than $500,000 and CNN under that figure—came without any retraction by NBC or CNN. "The journalists simply weren't prepared to do that," the industry source said.
Jewell, 43, who now works as a sheriff’s deputy in a rural county, says he never considered himself a hero for warning people.
The settlement money he won bought houses for Jewell and his mother, and eventually he found work as a deputy sheriff in Meriwether county, Georgia, where sheriff Steve Whitlock described him as a "go-getter" who "ate and drank his job".
Last year, on the 10th anniversary of the bombing, Jewell remarked: "I never sought to be a hero ... [I was] just one of many trained professionals who did their jobs that night."
He was struck with severe diabetes earlier this year and suffered from heart and kidney disease. He was found dead on his bedroom floor by his wife, Dana. She and his mother survive him.
• Richard Allensworth Jewell, law enforcement officer, born December 17 1962; died August 28 2007.

Ya see moleman, some stories just ain't so.

#25 ·
I can't believe that the Judge would not allow the Document from Plympic Arms saying they they SOLD AR-15's with M-16 Parts WITH the BLESSING of the ATF, this document would have pushed the Jury into a Not Guilty verdict, that is IF they had common sense!
The Prosecution wanted the Document surpressed because it was a Friggin Tax document :ranting:
Our System AND Country is SCREWED, period, the system is broke, has been broke and needs fixed !
How? I am not sure, but the system IS broke!

#28 ·
There is a really good 6-7 page thread concerning this case over on m4carbine.net. Just run a search for 'felony conviction'.

The thread includes hot links to the trial transcripts and other court records.
Love it or hate it , your choice , but it is a reasoned discussion by some very knowledgable people.

#37 ·
There is a really good 6-7 page thread concerning this case over on m4carbine.net. Just run a search for 'felony conviction'.

The thread includes hot links to the trial transcripts and other court records.
Love it or hate it , your choice , but it is a reasoned discussion by some very knowledgable people.
Check out the trial transcripts, that would cut out most of the guess-work.
Not all but most.

The transcripts , including the instructions to the jury , don't seem to offer up much hope for a successful appeal. The full auto parts & the 180 degree selector are the killer. The defense case was remarkably weak . Lack of an auto sear & some malf's don't seem to have been enough.
Funny thing , Olofson did not testify .
If he was framed : whoever did it knew how to make it stick.

#30 ·
FindLaw | Cases and Codes

United States v. Cruikshank 92 U.S. 542 (1875)

The first amendment to the Constitution prohibits Congress from abridging 'the right of the people to assemble and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.' This, like the other amendments proposed and adopted at the same time, was not intended to limit the powers of the State governments in respect to their own citizens, but to operate upon the National government alone. Barron v. The City of Baltimore, 7 Pet. 250; Lessee of Livingston v. Moore, id. 551; Fox v. Ohio, 5 How. 434; Smith v. Maryland, 18 id. 76; Withers v. Buckley, 20 id. 90; Pervear v. The Commonwealth, 5 Wall. 479; Twitchell v. The Commonwealth, 7 id. 321; Edwards v. Elliott, 21 id. 557. It is now too late to question the correctness of this construction. As was said by the late Chief Justice, in Twitchell v. The Commonwealth, 7 Wall. 325, 'the scope and application of these amendments are no longer subjects of discussion here.' They left the authority of the States just where they found it, and added nothing to the already existing powers of the United States.
The second and tenth counts are equally defective. The right there specified is that of 'bearing arms for a lawful purpose.' This is not a right granted by the Constitution. Neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. The second amendment declares that it shall not be infringed; but this, as has been seen, means no more than that it shall not be infringed by Congress. This is one of the amendments that has no other effect than to restrict the powers of the national government, leaving the people to look for their protection against any violation by their fellow-citizens of the rights it recognizes, to what is called, in The City of New York v. Miln, 11 Pet. 139, the 'powers which relate to merely municipal legislation, or what was, perhaps, more properly called internal police,' 'not surrendered or restrained' by the Constituton of the United States.
The fourteenth amendment prohibits a State from depriving any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; but this adds nothing to the rights of one citizen as against another. It simply furnishes an additional guaranty against any encroachment by the States upon the fundamental rights which belong to every citizen as a member of society. As was said by Mr. Justice Johnson, in Bank of Columbia v. Okely, 4 Wheat. 244, it secures 'the individual from the arbitrary exercise of the powers of government, unrestrained by the established principles of private rights and distributive justice.' These counts in the indictment do not call for the exercise of any of the powers conferred by this provision in the amendment.

Who was the conspirator in this case, who was the injured party. Cruikshank states specifically, the 2nd amendment does not guarantee the right, nor does in depend on that document for it's existance.
Whether OLOFSON is guilty of transferring or not, would he even be guilty of any crime if the Cruikshank decision is adhearred to.
This is where the outrage begins.

#31 ·
Has anyone seen documented evidence that the rifle was worn and not modified? I read that this guy had been writing books and posting directions on how to make AR's "Go Fast" If he actually had modified the rifle, then maybe there is some validity to the Judges ruling. Not taking sides here but you can't call it a peach if you don't know its a peach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.