Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HK416

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

HK's are over priced, they are not all that.. The HK magazine for the 416 is a big improvement over GI mags but the Mag-pul's magazines are just as good too... If I was going to spend $2g's on a AR...piston system... I'd just buy a AR-180 and spend the other $1400 on quality ammo and mags... I like the POF chrome lined inside of the upper receivers that's an improvement, but remember piston systems are not as accurate as direct gas systems... they run cooler and cleaner but they ad parts count and extra weight... that piston moving back and forth will effect barrel harmonics and open up groups but ...The AR's real weak points are the undersized extractor, a plunger type ejector, the cam pin hole in the bolt.. (that is where they break..most of the time) a weak buffer tube/stock especially M4 stocks, and the tinfoil magazines bodies... other than that they are great rifles... B2B

Feedback Score

Well,

Not to start anything here, but... From all my studying up on the subject and looking into the differences between DI and GP the info is saying that the GP is more accurate. So much so that the military is starting to replace their M24 rifles with the newer Knights Armament GP 308. Now I know that each platform will have its weaknesses and strengths but if you purely go off of statistics and experience, then you will have takers in both arenas. Really, it just boils down to what you are comfortable with and how you use your rifle. If it is going to be a 'safe queen' only coming out for the occassional range day, then don't waste your money, DI would be perfectly fine. Now if you are the one who uses one everyday in a less than average environment with heavy usage, maybe, will be ultimately up to you, your budget and what you want.

Good luck.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1movingforward4 View Post
    Now if you are the one who uses one everyday in a less than average environment with heavy usage, maybe, will be ultimately up to you, your budget and what you want.
    The piston systems haven't had their bugs worked out yet, whereas the m-16 series in standard trim has been used by the military for 40 years, if it wasn't good they'd have found a replacement already...

Feedback Score

Hey [486],
    Not in anyway disagreeing with you, but the military is looking and have been, here for a while. I know of several military units changing out their DI for GP uppers. That is on a unit level but the military as a whole is looking to, apparently the Bushmaster/Magpul design is being modified to compete in the up and coming trials.
    Just info, no flame.

Feedback Score

I may be wrong but I believe some of the special forces are already using the 416. ie Navy seals. I also think I read somewhere that the uppers on the 416's were designed to retrofit onto the m-16. One thing that may be holding things up is that they aren't sure what caliber they are going to use. From what I read the 6.8 SPC is or was the leading contender, but that there has been growing support for the 6.5 grendel. I may be wrong as its been awhile since I read the article. I think it was in Combat Weapons magazine. I'm usually a pac rat, but I've chucked everything since I'm almost ready to move and no longer have my back issues. Personally, I like the Sig 556. I have an AR and love that thing too, soo many different configurations.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

The military needs Congress to go alone with a replacement program. Congress likes 3 billion dollar destroyers that the navy doesn't want or 275 million dollar fighters which less than 50% are air worthy at a given moment. Infantry weapons programs including R&D costs generally cost way less than half the cost of the production cost of a single joint strike fighter. It's just not enough pork for Congress. They are building 3 cruisers for the navy even though the navy says that they do not want or need them and they will never be used after delivery. The only funded small arms programs for the general service give you 25 pound guns that shoot smart grenades, disable the trigger when pointed at friendly troops, and take video whenever the trigger is pulled. Then there is the NATO approval issue, which France or Germany always want their weapon and ammo to be the standard so nothing gets done.

-yarro

Feedback Score

I agree with you all. The political crap is bogus. Our boys in the field need the best right here and now. And yes, I think the caliber was or is an issue since some of the afteractions reports out of Afghanistan were less than favorable for the 5.56. And the other factor to be seen is the current administration, whether they want to get the good stuff to our troops fast enough. Another rant for another day.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Not to start anything here, but... From all my studying up on the subject and looking into the differences between DI and GP the info is saying that the GP is more accurate. So much so that the military is starting to replace their M24 rifles with the newer Knights Armament GP 308.
    No problem, all peoples opinions are just fine....to discuss...but you are mistaken....and requiring more studying... Direct gas system are the most accurate systems in the semi auto... The M-24 IS a Bolt Action it is not being replaced (yet) by the M110 SASS it is being Augmented..i.e support Sniper/ M24 spotter M110 SASS... the SASS is not a piston upper but a Direct gas system...Just like the SR-25 AR-10, AR-15 etc... All things being equal.. ie barrel ammo shooter etc... The piston upper is will NOT be as accurate as a D.I gas system.. to many moving parts.. is is battle field accurate easy...2 moa is just fine... B2B

"All rifles built on SR-25 platform share same basic action, which is based on AR-15 / M16 system. This is a gas-operated system with direct-impingement gas drive, which has no gas piston. Instead, powder gases are fed from the barrel and through a stainless-steel tube back into the receiver, and then into the cavity inside bolt carrier through the gas key. Inside the bolt carrier, powder gases push it back against the bolt, thus first causing the bolt to rotate and unlock from the barrel, and then to cycle the action. The rotary bolt has 7 radial lugs and improved extractor. Both upper and lower receiver halves are made from aircraft grade aluminum alloy, and connected by cross-pins. There is no "forward assist" button on the SR-25 rifles; the brass defelector is present. Barrels are of match class quality, and enclosed into free-floated forearm, fitted with Knights-made and designed Picatiny rails system. Because of AR-15-style recoil buffer, which extends rearwards fro the receiver, SR-15 cannot be fitted with folding buttstock; most rifles are fitted with fixed butt, while SR-25 carbines are fitted with telescoping buttstock. Trigger is also of match grade, fully adjustable.

Military versions of the SR-25, known as Mk.11 Mod.0 (USN / USMC) and XM110 (US Army) have some differences from civilian rifles. First of all, these rifles are fitted with proprietary sound moderator / silencer quick mount, located on the barrel just in front of the gas block. These rifles also finished to military specifications, and equipped with back-up iron sights (marked up to 600 meters and installed on folding bases). XM110 rifle also features a different buttstock, which is adjustable for length of pull, as well as different style forend rail system and a flash hider on the barrel. Military rifles are usually issued along with Harris bipod, Leupold variable-power 3,5-10X sniper scope, and a number of other accessories, including soft and hard carrying cases."
    Last edited by Bolt2bounce; 04-07-2009 at 04:00 AM.

Feedback Score

[486]
    Thanks for the info. And you are right we all have the right to our opinion. If I am mistaken then I can take my lump, but I will do the research, been a while when I found the article, should have copied it but didn't. Anyways, no issues, no probs. You know, I see where all you who have used DI in harms way are coming from and the years of service the 16 has had. I do not at all claim that it is no good or has serious issues, I was just mentioning that some think that going GP does make the platform better for the different reasons. Again, maybe the article was a advertisement for the SASS but I remember it saying that the SASS was replacing the M24. Now, I could be wrong and it is my bad for not copying the article but that is what I remember reading, like I said, will research it a bit further and give links or just copy the text and post again. One other thing, I so much like this site better, civil and professional discussion go alot further than flames and insults. That is why I am here and not THERE. Thanks [486] for being professional in your responses, I in no way think I know it all or everything. I've just used my platform on the mean streets of this great US of A and have not ever had to use it in anger.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1movingforward4 View Post
    ... Again, maybe the article was a advertisement for the SASS but I remember it saying that the SASS was replacing the M24. Now, I could be wrong and it is my bad for not copying the article but that is what I remember reading, like I said, will research it a bit further and give links or just copy the text and post again.
    The bolt cracking and the offcenter force was mentioned by Reed Knight in an interview with some "mall ninja" magazine...

One other thing, I so much like this site better, civil and professional discussion go alot further than flames and insults.
    I don't see that often, probably because I go to the less traveled sites, the smaller sites usually have nicer people than the huge ones...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.