Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HK416

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default HK416

I have read this redesign of the AR15 to a gas piston system makes them more reliable than the original direct gas system. Anyone here have experience with one? Thank you very much in advance for any information.

blu
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

nothing specific.

looks like every redesign of the AR platform leans towards
    the AK design.

lots of politics in that statement.

good luck!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Most of the domestic piston conversions I've seen for the AR15/M16 have utilized the FAL type system with many actually using surplus FAL parts as they were available and dirt cheap a few years ago. Basically just a new or modified front sight/gas cylinder is installed and the carrier key is replaced with a solid one for the gas piston to push against. IIRC, the "Rhino" system was probably the first, first saw it back in the 80's I think. It used their own newly made parts but in overall design it was very similar to the FAL without a gas tube.

Moving the gas system forward and enlarging the parts keeps fouling out of the bolt and carrier, reduces upper receiver temps during rapid fire, and allows more dirt to accumulate before stoppages start happening. A valid consideration for a grunt but less so for the civilian shooter. Very few civillians drag their AR through the mud and sand, do amphibious landings, or go days without cleaning while shooting offf hundreds of rounds.

I've shot a Rhino back in the day, can't say I noticed any difference between it and an unmodified rifle. I have no doubt that it would have continued functioning long after an original gas system would have been fouled to the point of malfunctioning. Since I clean my AR on a regular basis I find justifying the added $600-$1000 cost of the gas piston conversions pretty hard to do.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i wouldn't spend the extra $$$ on it either --it is a neat idea and gets some of the dirt out of the chamber breech. but this is just one problem area on the ar15/m16 series. for a civie or LE type i can't see much to justify the extra $$$$

better mags would have a much bigger impact for less $$$

Feedback Score

I'd buy an H&K 416 the minute they became available to civilians. I wouldn't care if they were $2000. I'd buy it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Why buy it? If you can do the research, have the imagination, and have, or have access to; the equipment and tools.......... build it!
    Want to buy: Tantal Left and Right side selector parts.

RRORC!
    I'm no sheep!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

if i had to have a gas piston-- i would get one of those $400 kits.

no i wouldn't put that much $$ in a HK--esp in 5.56.

i have trained with about every type of HK rifle and pistol up to 2006. HK is good. but i don't see them ahead of other firms like FN. in fact HK has turned out some real turkeys in recent years --like case less ammo weapons, the XM-8 and others--i can't really see how a g-36 is worth that much more than a m-4 although there all overpriced and over hyped. i would take a SCAR over either--

Feedback Score

When H&K gets it right they hit a home run and I think the 416 is a defining improvement on the M16 platform. Similar items are not the same.

Last edited by s70fan; 05-25-2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: redX
    Welcome to the 21st century, things are going to be very different.

Feedback Score

Why spend the big bucks on an HK, been hearing very good news about the Adams Arms conversion, will know for myself shortly, just ordered mine.

Feedback Score

I've heard the piston systems put more force on the bolt, and it makes sense, because the impingement one pushes the bolt forward, while the piston drags it on the lugs while rotating it...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.