Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Pistol's legal???

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default AR-15 Pistol's legal???

Im kind of new around here but iwas hopeing if someone knew about ar-pistols i would like to put together one i just picked up a sweat lower and a gun show about a month ago I was thinking long range big long barrel but the pistols look so cool (and i dont yet have one) My thought was can i use the lower i just bought or did i have to buy a special pistol lower?? Oh i know i will need a pigtail gas tube i was thinking mabe a 7 1/2 in and a 10 1/2 inn. Could i have two uppers for it with out the ATF boys getting on me for a SBR (i have a few other ar-rifles)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Was the lower sold as a pistol? That is, did you or has anyone ever done a 4473 where that lower was declared to be a longarm?

If so, once a longarm always a longarm.

If the lower is virgin or was transferred as a pistol, you're good to go.

If you don't know the history, for safety's sake it's a longarm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ya i dont really remember to err on the side of caution i bet it was declared a long gun then oh well looks like ill be getting a new pistol lower anybody know if i could have two uppers for it without the atf saying the 2nd upper is a srb with the ar's i have I'm not dumb i will not be putting them on any of the rifles i own. i would just like to have two uppers for the pistol

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Did you buy the lower from a local or somewhat local dealer at the show, still have a receipt or card from them? Give them a call and see if they can answer the transfer question, if it was marked as a rifle or just a bare reciever.

As for the switching question, you can change a pistol to a rifle and back to a pistol, a registered rifle is always a rifle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I got the lower for a local dealer i called him but had to leave a message i forgot its laborday must have taken the day off

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ok he just called me back he said he sells them as a bare recievers so i should be ok to make it a pistol he was going the get me a copy for my records. But would i be able to keep two uppers for it as long as they stay away from my other ar-rifle i was thinking if i keep them in a diffrent saft i would be ok i want to have a 10 inch and a 7inch on there own uppers to make it easy to change at the range

Thank you all for your support

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I don't see why not. The Thompsons are made to be similarly changed out WRT caliber, chamber and length, but a letter to the BATF is your best bet.

When it comes down to it, if the alphabet boys are after you it won't matter much.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Unless the short bbls are actually assembled to the rifle lowers it all comes down to intent. Pistol receiver and two short uppers in a case at the range or at home, along with a rifle and long upper looks like a pistol with two bbls and a rifle. Pistol receiver in a case at home and the rifle with two short uppers in a case at the range looks like an SBR. Keep the short bbls with the pistol lower at all times and you should be fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ok time to start buying parts thanks guys i'll post some pic's as soon as i get it together. Thank you for the info i dont think i would have made a pistol if i had not found this sight

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

While I like the looks of an AR pistol and have AK pistols, I will NEVER own an AR pistol.

ATF being the reason, they basically can say if you have a pistol and an AR rifle in the same house it's intent as they can be swapped out giving you an illegal SBR.

I don't have the link to back it up but I read quit a while back of them charging someone with an SBR just because they owned both.

Enjoy your pistol, I have seen a lot of them, it's just not for me.

Edit: The AK pistols cannot be swapped out like an AR, it requires drilling out rivets and changing the stock trunion in the receiver to make it into a rifle.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders" Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.