Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: anodizing ak47?

Feedback Score

Postak anodizing ak47?

i just bought a wasr10 ak 47
    and want to anodize it does
    anybody know of any places in central new york or onadoga county were i could get one anodized.
    thank you ahead of time

Feedback Score

"Anodizing" is a process of controlled oxidation applied to aluminum and its alloys. Since the AK is made from steel, it cannot be "anodized." AR-type uppers and lowers are "hard coat anodized," but that's because the AR-type uppers and lowers are made from aluminum alloy.

There are many other coatings, from paints to proprietary products such as CeraCoat and its analogues, Duracoat, and so on, that can be applied to AK-type rifles.

Good luck!

Regards,

Walt
    Author, New! The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide
    Author, The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    Author, The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide

Author, The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    Author, The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide, Fourth Edition

Feedback Score

Yep, I'm a aircraft mechanic, alodine as we call it can actually weaken steel, leading to stress fractures, etc...
    No Slack, Light Attack, When your hot, your hot, when your not, your dead!

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If you're just trying to keep it from rusting try gunkote. Its not hard to do and just requires an airbrush and access to the oven when the misses isn't home.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by wjkuleck View Post
    "Anodizing" is a process of controlled oxidation applied to aluminum and its alloys. Since the AK is made from steel, it cannot be "anodized." AR-type uppers and lowers are "hard coat anodized," but that's because the AR-type uppers and lowers are made from aluminum alloy.

There are many other coatings, from paints to proprietary products such as CeraCoat and its analogues, Duracoat, and so on, that can be applied to AK-type rifles.

Good luck!

Regards,

Walt
    thank you re thosse gold materials?
    becuase i forgot to mention but thats why i want to annodize it
    so its gold

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jdf747emt View Post
    Yep, I'm a aircraft mechanic, alodine as we call it can actually weaken steel, leading to stress fractures, etc...
    is there any gold materials that can be sprayed on a ak
    thats why i wanted to anodize it so it would be gold

Feedback Score

Default anodising ak47?

anodising ak47?
    There is a process of gold chrome plating that is used on motorcycle and automotive trim parts that looks like the real thing. I recall that it was a Japanese process. Check you local chrome plating shops to see if they do this work.

For what it's worth... Anodising can be done over non-aluminum materials but they first must be clad with an aluminum skin. That skin is then oxidised using an acid bath and electricity to create a satisfactory oxide layer . Then the AL2O3 surface is dyed to some color. This is called color anodising. Glass Christmas ornaments come to mind.

Hard anodising is a relatively thicker skin of oxide usually dyed black or dark purple. Added electricity and time are needed to drive this oxide layer much deeper than color anodising. It is intended as a protective coat as used on AR-15's and M-16's types.

Alodiding is a chemical dye for raw aluminum. As you know is is used in aviation.

I have used the gold chrome plating on special firearms parts in the past. It is vastly more durable than real gold and cheaper too. It should make your wasr look like an Iraqi bringback.

There is one other process that can yield a gold color skin on metal. That is powder coating. To make a translucent gold color I recall that clear powder (plastic) is sprayed on. This clear coat is slightly over-baked to turn it a gold hue. It looks nice on steel lawn furnature.

Later,
    VD

Feedback Score

Rustoleum makes a very nice looking "Hammered Gold " finish paint. I used it to paint the window cranks in my living room. It's not overly durable, but touchups are easy.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Here a link to a company that my be helpful, but , please dont shame a good ak like that. Parkerize it or paint black ,shoe polish not gold.
    Plating Kits Chrome Plating Kits Aluminum Anodizing Kits Electroplating Kits - Caswell Inc.
    American By Birth, Southern By the Grace Of God

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Titanium Nitride plating. Gold, hard as heck, and expensive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.