Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To chrome line or not to chrome line

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default To chrome line or not to chrome line

Now that I've built 5 ak's and there is really not much difference in ak & ar prices, I'm looking into building my first ar-15. My main question is should I get a chrome lined barrel and chamber or not? It only costs $50 extra from akpartskits, but really I don't know how nessesary it is. All of my ak's have chrome lined barrels and for good reason, but ar's and ak's generally eat different grades of ammo. What's the general consensous on this subject?

Feedback Score

The original reason for chrome-lined AK barrels was the Soviet Bloc's use of corrosive-primered ammo exclusively. The original reason for chrome-lined AR barrels was corrosion resistance in the jungles & swamps of Southeast Asia.

Regards,

Walt
    Author, New! The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide
    Author, The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    Author, The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide

Author, The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    Author, The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide, Fourth Edition

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Less than half of the ar15 barrels I have or have had are chromed lined. About the only thing I've noticed is its a little easier to clean the chromed barrels, and the non-chromed barrels have a slight edge in accuracy. I haven't noticed one is more reliable than the other, but rarely do they get more than 3-400 rounds between cleanings. I pretty much only shoot reloads so I'm not shooting dirty surplus ammo either. If its only about $50 difference I'd probably go with the chromed barrel and error on the side of reliability if its a combat/tactical gun and non-chrome lined if its a target/hunting gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    Less than half of the ar15 barrels I have or have had are chromed lined. About the only thing I've noticed is its a little easier to clean the chromed barrels, and the non-chromed barrels have a slight edge in accuracy. I haven't noticed one is more reliable than the other, but rarely do they get more than 3-400 rounds between cleanings. I pretty much only shoot reloads so I'm not shooting dirty surplus ammo either. If its only about $50 difference I'd probably go with the chromed barrel and error on the side of reliability if its a combat/tactical gun and non-chrome lined if its a target/hunting gun.

Thats what I was thinking.... I wouldn't feel so bad about using wolf .223 w/ a chrome lined barrel either

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Either would be the right choice if that is what you want. Chrome lining is used in some countries and not in others on the same type weapons. Not all AK's, SKS, etc are chrome lined and all function well. I have a habit of cleaning after every use.
    If you want more gun control, use both hands.

Feedback Score

Chrome!

2 years from now that $50 will be a blip and you'll be set.
    Slugger

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

A chromed lined barrel/chamber isn't a deal breaker for me. It's really not necessary. Either type, chromed, non-chromed is good.

I think that most people feel that they will be in combat (mall ninja's/internet commando's) next week. For a SHTF deal, there are far more important things to worry about.

As a note for both type barrels, I have never heard of anyone burning out either kind. I have a non-chromed lined barrel that has a gazillion rounds through it and it is still accurtate and functions perfectly.

I believe it all gets down to what you want, not what you need.
    "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

WOLVERINES! One of GUNCO's First Hundred!

Feedback Score

I look at it as cheap insurance, I reload a lot & some powders burn dirty others clean - as time go's buy I think it will be harder and more expensive to find good clean burning power. As stated before its easier to clean a chrome lined barrel. It might get to the point where
    you'l have to shoot cast bullets.

Feedback Score

Of the 10 or so AR's I have owned the hard chromed bolt, carrier, bore rifles were hands down more reliable and substantially easier to clean.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

What ammo would you likely use a majority of the time...... Wolf, Yugo, Remington, US Mil-surp? That would be my 1st question. Second would be how disciplined are you to keep firearms clean?
    Want to buy: Tantal Left and Right side selector parts.

RRORC!
    I'm no sheep!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.