Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ok so i wanna build a tack drivin ar15

Feedback Score

Default ok so i wanna build a tack drivin ar15

i've done a few before and what i have my mind on is a flat top upper with the heavy stainless bull and no front site, the 'varminter' configuration, just stuck between getting a 20'' and a 24'' i figured i'd only need a 24'' bbl if i went with very heavy bullets ?

figurin max range is 300-400 yds as i have 308's scoped that will go 400+ and i have a heavy bbl 300 winmag for 800+

any thoughts ?

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Get a nice 1-8" twist free float bull barrel, a good trigger and scope and you'll be set. I used speer 69gr Matchkings to get some one ragged hole groups from an armalite bull barrel I had. At about 6000 rounds it quickly opened up to 1" and I sold the barrel. Stick with the 20" barrel, the 24" barrel is unwieldly IMHO unless you'll always use a rest. If you reload you can play around until you get a combination your gun shoots well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

+1. Bbl length has nothing to do with bullet weight, twist rate is what has to be matched to what weight you are shooting. The longer bbl will just give a bit more velocity. Might want to look into one of those unitized drop in trigger packs over the stock FCG configuration.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by PuppyChow View Post
    i've done a few before and what i have my mind on is a flat top upper with the heavy stainless bull and no front site, the 'varminter' configuration, just stuck between getting a 20'' and a 24'' i figured i'd only need a 24'' bbl if i went with very heavy bullets ?

figurin max range is 300-400 yds as i have 308's scoped that will go 400+ and i have a heavy bbl 300 winmag for 800+

any thoughts ?
    What is the purpose of the rifle. If you ever intend on using the rifle for self defense I would get this. You will be able to make 400 yard headshots all day long with 77g match ammo.
    BCM 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If it is going to be for target shooting get a heavy barrel non chrome and at least a 1-9 twist. faster if you want to shoot heaver bullets long range. you will want the heavy barrel to shoot tight groups longer before it heats up. i persoanly would get the longer barrel for shooting off the bipod. more weight the the easier it it is to see hits.

I shot a rock river varmit build this summer on praire dogs, I wasent impressed. even though it had the up graded trigger I felt it was not so good. it had the 20" barrel I didnt like it it was harder IMOA to keep on target. spend the money on a good trigger. if your building a target/varmit gun then weight is your friend and make it a target gun not a dual purpose deal that dosent do either well. save some money for a really good 20X scope.

Im collecting parts for mine now it will be 24-26" heavy with the best trigger I can find Im doing a 1-8 twist it will be for P dogs out to 500 yards (most in the 300 yard range). versi pod full float tube, good optics. I have no plans on packing it very far.

Feedback Score

well i have a lil time i just picked up a few stag receivers, one will be used to build this the other will prolly go to a light weight CAR type rifle, going to put together my 50 beowolf on the dpms lower with collapsable this weekend

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

For the coming of the messiah, I'm building up a SPR Mk12 Mod1 clone (taken with a few liberties in upgrades)

Vltor MUR upper
    LMT lower
    SS Noveske 18" 1-8 twist, rifle length gas port
    Young NM bolt carrier
    3# Timney trigger group.
    LaRue: rail, pod QD and scope QD mount
    Troy backup sights
    LMT SOPMOD buttstock
    OPS Inc SPR Brake-Collar
    Harris bipod
    Pri charging handle

It will look almost exactly like this one. Ought to be able to nail a nat's nuts @ 100yds.

Almost forgot;
    If you want a Kreiger barrel you ought to call them and get your name on one. They are just about to finish up another run of their AR15 barrels. Don't know how many more runs they'll get in (for civilians that is)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did I do that?

Feedback Score

spend the money and build up a 6.5 grendel round. Trajectory real flat and good farther tthan you can throw a rock

Gunpowder Addict luvmysaiga.308's Avatar
    Feedback Score

Hey Defiant, You have good points about the 6.5.. Correct everybody ? Personally, the 7.62 Nato is a better round. IMO.. We all love our favorites.. An AR-10 would be my pick. (which my wife doesn't know, my tax refund is going for mine)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

AR10 is supreemly acurate along with having major stopping power.
    M U S I B I K E

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.