Gunco Forums banner

Opinions on an AR

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Markp 
#1 ·
I wanna build an AR.... My goal is to make a sort of a sniper assault rifle.... I wanna do semi long range shooting... I know people have chambered their rifles to fire the 5.45. 5.56 or even the 7.62.... which one do you guys think would be the best for the task? which one would shoot farther and have power??? Since I am new to building and to guns in general I would appreciate any opinions you guys can share with me.
TIA

ARMO

#6 ·
if your looking for long range look into the DPMS LR308 Think of it as a big ar-15 but in .308 it will cost more when im done with mine im looking at about 3k but thats all topend parts but it will reach 400-500yrds past what i can do with 5.56. 1000yrds with .308 is something you can do with practice

#7 ·
I've been leaning towards the idea of AR in 7.62... What do you guys think about that. The ammo is way cheaper than the 5.56 that I originally wanted and would be more powerful but it wont go as far... I could also build it to fire the 5.45. Just looked at the prices for the .308, it is very expensive like the 5.56..... the 7.62 looks very good right now, but should I be a cheap ass?

#8 ·
First, what do you consider "semi-long range"? The military considers 600 yards "mid-range". Long range is 800 yards and beyond.

Since you're new to guns and shooting I would spend more time learning basic marksmanship with a standard rifle and not even worry about shooting any distances.

Learning to shoot at 500-600 yards takes a lot of practice and using the rifle is just part of it. Reading wind/light and learning to estimate distances takes a long time. Just because your sights are on the target doesn't mean you will hit it.

Again, learn basic skills and once you have mastered those, consider "semi-long range".

As for the rifle and caliber, I would start out with an AR15 in 5.56mm. This will allow you to not only learn the basics but will allow "some" semi-long range shooting when time and experiance permits.

#9 ·
Most of the time I don't have a shot longer than 300-400yds where I hunt so the 223/5.56 is perfect. As far as match bullets there is a much bigger selection for .224 bullets for the .223 than there is for .311 bullets for the 7.62x39. Most will also say the surplus 762x39 ammo isn't exactly "match grade" either. You can reload it to get better accuracy, but you're back to the limited bullet selection. If I were just starting out and most likely wouldn't shoot past 500 yards I'd just stick with the 223.

#10 ·
iF YOU WANT TO SHOOT CHEAP/CRAP AMMO THEN RULE OUT LONG RANGE SHOOTIN!!!! I CONSIDER 500 YARDS LONG RANGE WITH A 5.56,5.45 AND 300 LONG RANGE WTIH THE 7.62X 39. AND THE 308 WILL REACH OUT THERE 800 PLUS BUT YOU WILL NEED SOME GOOD/EXPENSIVE OPTICS TOP MAKE IT MUCH FUN. TRYING TO BUILD A SNIPPER/ASSULT RIFLE IS KIND OF A CONTRADICTION IN TERMS. IF YOU ARE AS NEW OF A SHOOTER AS YOU CLAIM. THEN GET SOME THING FUN TO SHOOT

. I WOULD GO WITH A 223/5.56. THE COST FOR CHEAP STUFF IS NOT THAT MUCH MORE THAN THE 7.62X39. AND THE GOOD STUFF IS AVALIABLE. THERE ISNT REALL ANY GOOD MATCH GRADE 5.45 OR 7.62X39 AVALIABLE AT ALL. ALSO SINCE YOU ARE NOT MENTIONG HUNTING OR KILLING ANY THING WHY WOULD YOU WANT A 30 CAL??? 5.56 RECOILS MUCH LESS AS WELL. MY ADVIVE WOULD BE AN AR 15 WITH A QUALITY 20 INCH MEDIUM TO HEAVY BARREL THIS WILL SHOOT WELL VERY WELL OUT TO 300 YARDS WITH VERY LITTLE PRACTICE. OUT TO 600 YARDS WITH A LITTLE MORE EXPERIANCE AND OVER 1000 AS DONE IN COMPITION WITH GOOD AMMO. AND IT WILL TEAR THE CRAP OUT OF A DIRT CLOD AT 50 YARDS WITH CHEAP AMMO. I ALSO ADVISE YOU LEARN TO RELAOD AS THIS WILL SAVE $$$$$ AND GIVE BETER AMMO AS WELL. AS A NEW SHOOTER DO YOU "HONESTLY" SEE YOURSELF IN A FIRE FIGHT OR CLEARING ROOMS OR ROBBING A BANK???? GET SOME THING THAT IS FUN TO SHOOT WITH A LITTLE LONGER BARREL YOU CAN ALSWYS BUY A SECOND BARREL OR UPPER DOWN THE ROAD FOR WHEN THE WORLD COMES TO AN END. I HAVE ABOUT EVERY CALIBURE THERE IS IN SOME KING OF GUN OR ANOTHER AND ASIDE FROM THE RIMFIRES .17HMR,.22 .22 MAG I ENJOY SHOOTING THE 5.56/223 THE MOST. YOU CAN SEE THE IMPACT AND ITS A TACK DRIVER OUT TO 200 YARDS AN BEYOND.

#11 ·
iF YOU WANT TO SHOOT CHEAP/CRAP AMMO THEN RULE OUT LONG RANGE SHOOTIN!!!! I CONSIDER 500 YARDS LONG RANGE WITH A 5.56,5.45 AND 300 LONG RANGE WTIH THE 7.62X 39. AND THE 308 WILL REACH OUT THERE 800 PLUS BUT YOU WILL NEED SOME GOOD/EXPENSIVE OPTICS TOP MAKE IT MUCH FUN. TRYING TO BUILD A SNIPPER/ASSULT RIFLE IS KIND OF A CONTRADICTION IN TERMS. IF YOU ARE AS NEW OF A SHOOTER AS YOU CLAIM. THEN GET SOME THING FUN TO SHOOT

. I WOULD GO WITH A 223/5.56. THE COST FOR CHEAP STUFF IS NOT THAT MUCH MORE THAN THE 7.62X39. AND THE GOOD STUFF IS AVALIABLE. THERE ISNT REALL ANY GOOD MATCH GRADE 5.45 OR 7.62X39 AVALIABLE AT ALL. ALSO SINCE YOU ARE NOT MENTIONG HUNTING OR KILLING ANY THING WHY WOULD YOU WANT A 30 CAL??? 5.56 RECOILS MUCH LESS AS WELL. MY ADVIVE WOULD BE AN AR 15 WITH A QUALITY 20 INCH MEDIUM TO HEAVY BARREL THIS WILL SHOOT WELL VERY WELL OUT TO 300 YARDS WITH VERY LITTLE PRACTICE. OUT TO 600 YARDS WITH A LITTLE MORE EXPERIANCE AND OVER 1000 AS DONE IN COMPITION WITH GOOD AMMO. AND IT WILL TEAR THE CRAP OUT OF A DIRT CLOD AT 50 YARDS WITH CHEAP AMMO. I ALSO ADVISE YOU LEARN TO RELAOD AS THIS WILL SAVE $$$$$ AND GIVE BETER AMMO AS WELL. AS A NEW SHOOTER DO YOU "HONESTLY" SEE YOURSELF IN A FIRE FIGHT OR CLEARING ROOMS OR ROBBING A BANK???? GET SOME THING THAT IS FUN TO SHOOT WITH A LITTLE LONGER BARREL YOU CAN ALSWYS BUY A SECOND BARREL OR UPPER DOWN THE ROAD FOR WHEN THE WORLD COMES TO AN END. I HAVE ABOUT EVERY CALIBURE THERE IS IN SOME KING OF GUN OR ANOTHER AND ASIDE FROM THE RIMFIRES .17HMR,.22 .22 MAG I ENJOY SHOOTING THE 5.56/223 THE MOST. YOU CAN SEE THE IMPACT AND ITS A TACK DRIVER OUT TO 200 YARDS AN BEYOND.
Thanks alot, you did it for me.... I was thinking about 20in barrel myself, and 500-600 yards is what I wanted the rifle to perform best at... How to decide what to get, a medium or heavy barrel?
Any good places you recommend I get parts from? Something on the cheaper side would be good, as I cant afford anything too expensive right now.
I should learn how to reload, whats the start up cost for the equipment?

#13 ·
If you're fairly new to shooting long distance, pick-up a Mosin Nagant. They retail for about $100. The ammo isn't extremely expensive and it is fun to shoot old-ass (1940's) commie guns. Buy from a local dealer or at a local show in your state. The standard 91/30 Mosin Nagant is 48" long bolt action, you can get a carbine which is a bit shorter at 40", but gives a harder recoil.

#15 ·
Armo, if you are relatively new to ar's / ak's I would have to agree with 1biggun. Are you really going to be shooting out to 500 yds? Large caliber guns are excellent but, I think a .223 would serve you better as a training tool. ie Learning how to squeeze off a round without flinching. Wolf ammo is still pretty cheap.
Any of the known brands Rock River, DPMS, Colt etc will serve you well. Consider a flattop, with a detachable carry handle in case you want to add optics. There are many other brands that some others may have experience with.
The problem is availability these days, and of course the prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.