Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Converting the Bushmaster

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

[quote=moleman;489986] You won't notice the front sight on the standard barrel if you're looking through the scope at a target unless you're on low power and looking for it. quote]

...even if the carry handle is removed? I would think that for bench or prone shooting(with a bi pod) that mounting a scope on this would be inefficient and too high to be comfortable?
    BUT if one removes the handle and mounts a high power directly to the upper receiver, THEN the large front sight post would be an issue, right?

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

With a flat top and a properly mounted scope (you'll need high rings to get the scope up to about the heigth of the current rear sight) the front sight will indeed be directly in front of the scope. However it won't be in focus and will sort of disappear as you're looking far away at a target. If you try to focus on it you can. Thats the setup I have on my midlength carbine for the past 10 years. I never got around to getting a different gas block. If you're going through all the trouble pulling the barrel for a free float tube then you'll be removing the front sight base and you might as well put a rail type gas block on it. If you don't though it won't hinder your shooting. Heres a picture of my coyote gun with a $20 cheap ass walmart lazer I put on the gas block to see if a lazer will work with my night vision goggles for the 24hr coyote season (it does!). It is clearly at least as high as a regular front sight and I can't see it throught he scope unless I have it at 3x and pull back from the scope to where half of the scope has gone black from being too far back. Now I just need to order a good lazer to replace this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sorry to get you off topic with the front sight. If you use the current barrel, like I said you'll already have the front sight tower off to put on the free float tube and can replace it with a rail type or even shave the topsight part off like bushmaster does. Since its not your money look at the kits because they're about the same price as a upper half with a new bolt carrier. The model 1 site 762x39 listed earlier is great because you can play around with the options to get the exact gun you want. Heres one for a complete kit and its only $175 more than the upper half. Once you factor in a complete bolt carrier there's not much price difference. Welcome to Model 1 Sales' Online Order Center

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Pic as promised. Model-1 varminter upper on a Stag lower.
    Fluted 24" stainless barrel, Full float aluminum forearm, Jewell FCG, Harris bi-pod.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

here's what I did with my bushmaster w/ A2 upper: I cut off the carry handle and mounted a piccatinny rail (brownells part #080-000-413AB). I left the rear sight on but I guess you could cut it off also and you probably would have to, to mount a scope low enough(I am using a red dot). A flat top upper may be the way to go,and since money is not a problem that would be the best. I'd have done that if I werent such a cheap bastard. A free-float forearm will help your accuracy,and a trigger job is a must. BTW, I have fired wolf and reloads and all kind of brands and it ate everything without a hitch,knock on wood. Make bushmaster fix it.Tell them you have fired 1000 rnds.They should stand behind there product.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew View Post
    if I werent such a cheap bastard.
    Hell cheap bastard is my middle name! I sold my a2 uppers....ehhh I mean rear sight towers on ebay and turned around and bought flat top receivers. I think I was out $20-$25 per swap. I really can't mount a scope high enough even with "high" rings to see through the scope properly. The cheapest thing I've found is the tasco see through mounts which bring the scope high enough up that I don't have to press my face hard into the stock to get a clear sight picture. Since the barrel is in line with the stock you'll need a high scope mount. If you're using the same barrel and will never use the open sights again you can shave the front sight down like this.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thats usin your noggin! Standard fsb doesnt cost very much! I used a cheap gun show riser to get my red dot up high enough, heres a picture.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62x39 View Post
    Pic as promised. Model-1 varminter upper on a Stag lower.
    Fluted 24" stainless barrel, Full float aluminum forearm, Jewell FCG, Harris bi-pod.

This is what I'm looking at...But my friend might try to leave the stock barrel on the rifle, add optics, bi pod and FCG.

Feedback Score

Varminter on the cheap, ok.

First free float the barrel with whichever FF handguard you choose. Mount your bipod to it and then there will be no barrel flex.

Flattop upper for the scope mount. Decent glass is recommended, and you just have to search out what you like. I like the Tasco varmint tactical series (cost vs. performance), but you might like something else.

Some kind of triggerjob or match trigger. Its not completely necessary, but VERY helpful.

And buy decent ammo. Wolf speed varies CONSIDERABLY even from the same box!! Its all over the paper to begin with (due to those varying speeds). I keep a couple tins of that stuff STRICTLY for SHTF, in case of a severe ammo shortage. So dont even try to obtain minute of varmint accuracy with that stuff. You'll be there all day and still get nowhere.

If you're dead set on using wolf ammo, get out your scale and start weighing rounds. Match them up to groups of exact weights. Had to do this with a buddy of mine after we chrony'd some wolf ammo to see why it was all over the paper. This was how he got somewhat predictable accuracy from that ammo.

Hope that helps a bit.
    "A large caliber is good to have, but its shot PLACEMENT that counts"
    Synweap223

"The way is in training"
    Miyamoto Musashi

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by synweap223 View Post
    Varminter on the cheap, ok.

First free float the barrel with whichever FF handguard you choose. Mount your bipod to it and then there will be no barrel flex.

Flattop upper for the scope mount. Decent glass is recommended, and you just have to search out what you like. I like the Tasco varmint tactical series (cost vs. performance), but you might like something else.

Some kind of triggerjob or match trigger. Its not completely necessary, but VERY helpful.

And buy decent ammo. Wolf speed varies CONSIDERABLY even from the same box!! Its all over the paper to begin with (due to those varying speeds). I keep a couple tins of that stuff STRICTLY for SHTF, in case of a severe ammo shortage. So dont even try to obtain minute of varmint accuracy with that stuff. You'll be there all day and still get nowhere.

If you're dead set on using wolf ammo, get out your scale and start weighing rounds. Match them up to groups of exact weights. Had to do this with a buddy of mine after we chrony'd some wolf ammo to see why it was all over the paper. This was how he got somewhat predictable accuracy from that ammo.

Hope that helps a bit.
    I appreciate the advice, and NO absolutely NOT will I be using any other than rem ammo. My bushmaster has a difficult time cycling the wolf. I reload so I'll custom my own loads and reload most of the time anyhow..

Since I'm not a builder, what does "free float" mean?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.