Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Me shooting my Black Thorn AR-15 kit

Feedback Score

Default Me shooting my Black Thorn AR-15 kit

Hey everyone I finally got to shoot my AR-15 kit that I built over Christmas. The lower reciever is from Essential Arms the full upper with lower parts kit is from Black Thorn ( akpartskits.com ) its an M4 clone.

I had a blast shooting it the day after Christmas. The wind was blowing like crazy and it was cold as heck. My camera is the only thing that messed up that day. The camera missed the first few shots and then wouldnt shut off.

Well here is the video of me shooting it.

YouTube - AR-15

Let me know what you think everyone.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

First thing that I noticed was it appears that the bolt carrier is not locking back after the last round is fired. You had to charge the rifle after each magazine change. Was that fixed?

Second, I saw more grass than shooting...LOL

Other than that, it looks like you had fun!
    "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

WOLVERINES! One of GUNCO's First Hundred!

Feedback Score

Hey Toten Kopf I had not gotten that fixed yet right after that I had gotten the flu and the a cold so I just have not had a chance yet.

What do you think it could be from just seeing the video. I can pull the charging handle back and it wont lock back on an empy mag.

I did have fun shooting and something went wrong with the camera and I was trying to help so thats where all the grass comes in lol.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Take the upper off and inset a mag. Does the little tail of the bolt catch get lifted up by the mag follower? If not the two things I've had happen is the bolt catch wasn't made correctly and the tail wasn't long enough as compaired to the other ones I have, or the bolt catch is binding and the mag follower isn't strong enough to lift it. I suspect the second one, so find out where its binding and correct it.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    Take the upper off and inset a mag. Does the little tail of the bolt catch get lifted up by the mag follower? If not the two things I've had happen is the bolt catch wasn't made correctly and the tail wasn't long enough as compaired to the other ones I have, or the bolt catch is binding and the mag follower isn't strong enough to lift it. I suspect the second one, so find out where its binding and correct it.

I will print this off and check it later today and see what its doing and get back to you guys. How would I go about fixing it if its the second one? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'd first try oiling it up and working it back and forth a bunch of times until it functions smoothly. It might have a rough spot on th bolt catch or inside the spring /plunger hole. In either case it's new and might just need broken in. Don't ever dry fire an ar15 without a bolt/upper in place. The hammer will stop on the bolth catch and can bend it. I replaced a bolt catch on a buddies ar15 because he dry fired it without the upper.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I have had some similar issues, BlackThorne, Model1, even Bushmaster.

Those parts should all be gently honed with a fine file or a stone to ensure that they do not have any burrs. This is also common with new M-4 and M-16 rifles direct from FN...

Molemans method is as good as any, just make sure you are not gouging out any aluminum along the way.

Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

Hey bellson thanks man for saying you have had issuies with other kits and even a big name ABC brand AR. I get bashed for my kit all the time and see no differnce in the bushmasters I looked at or others.

I really like this site no bashing or hating that I bought what I could afford. I go to another site and I was told now that I built a cheap one buy a better one. I thought that was kind of rude.

I really like this site and also you guys are fast to responed.

If I can figure it out im going to go back to the gunsmith and have him look at it. He wont charge me for it since he looked at if after I was done. I wonder if he even tried it or it worked for him. He is the best in my area and was swamped when I took the AR into him.

I will look it over and see what I find out as well. I will keep you guys posted.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I wouldn't take it to the gunsmith, but I'm a cheap bastard. If after working it back and forth it still is binding, drive the roll pin out and see where the shiney spots are and whats causing them. When I build up an ar15 I do the same as Bellson and lightly stone the bearing surface and remove any rough spots before I install it. If you do drive it back out go slow and protect the finish in the area with electrial tape so you dont scratch the finish. also check to see if the hole pivot hole in the bolt catch is too tight. I did have one that was too tight once.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

If your magazines won't push the bolt catch up to lock the carrier back after the last round, it could be that the bolt catch spring is to strong. When this happens, the spring in the magazine will not push the follower up to over come the tension from the bolt catch spring.

I have had to trim the spring (I would only cut a coil at a time) until the magazine spring would push the bolt catch to the full up position.

One way of thesting this is to fire a round while pushing on the bolt catch. If the bolt carrier locks to the rear when doing this, you know it's the bolt catch spring.

Of course if there is trash (dirt, metal shavings) in the bolt catch plunger hole this could cause the problem as well as an incorrectly drilled plunger hole or damaged bolt catch parts.

NOTE: I WILL ADD PICTURES OF WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE IN ANOTHER POST (I HAVE TO TAKE A FEW PICTURES). IT MIGHT HELP.
    "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

WOLVERINES! One of GUNCO's First Hundred!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.