Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question???

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Newbie question???

Can you make and AR15 Lower like and AK Lower? Is it possible on a workbench?
    What is the difference between the two?
    Indifference to Evil is Evil!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Big difference between the two receivers.
    Now there was someone who did make a sheet metal AR lower, I can't remember if it was on this site or not.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks- Think that the AR 15 is a solid piece of alunimum. Hard to get off the books...

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

They are either machined from a chunk of aluminum or a casting that's roughly done and just needs finished.
    Don't know what you mean by "Hard to get off the books..." ?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

an ar-type lower can be made from an number of materials.
    nylon-66 plastic, carbon fiber, the ever popular aluminum forging, cast aluminum. several exotic alloys that have things like titanium in them.

i even saw one once made out of bolted plates of sheet aluminum!

the traditional way would be to mill out a - lower blank aluminum forging.

this requires at least a drill press and some skill at set-up and machining.

the unfinished lowers come in 0% to 80% finish. a 80% would be obviously be much quicker.

do some searches on CNC and 0% lowers on google.

Feedback Score

why would you want to? just curious

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Is it legal to build an 80% lower? And my understanding is that you do not need to have this shipped to a FFL is not required. Any good books or picture guides available?

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Duster. View Post
    Is it legal to build an 80% lower? And my understanding is that you do not need to have this shipped to a FFL is not required. Any good books or picture guides available?

Hi Duster,

It is legal to build a 100% receiver, but only for your personal use. You can never sell it. There are exceptions to that rule, but be very cautious and know the law!

You can source an 80% lower from AR15 Plus Store - custom firearm parts, kits, AR15, AK47, and complete it yourself. Read the info at that site, also check CNCGUNSMITHING - www.cncguns.com - Home of the AR45.

Both sites contain good information, and are an excellent source for the home AR builder.

AR lowers can be fabricated from sheet steel. Start out with .040 4130 normalized and go from there. You will end up making three or four separate components and either bolting, riveting or welding them together. This is not a task for the un-skilled. My first four attempts went into the round file, and I have some skills. I already own several AR rifles, as well as formerly owning AR-180s built by Howa. I used my memory of the Howa lower as a starting point, and used a comercial AR lower for demensional accuracy (and still managed to F@#$## it up four times).

What you can expect is a prolonged learning experience. If that is what you are after, you will benefit. If you are a masochist, you will benefit and enjoy the process. If you want an AR "off the books", go with an 80% lower and complete it yourself. Either way, the first rifle will cost you a lot more than a new Bushmaster unless you already own a really cool tool set that includes a good drill press.

Good luck, and post pics!!!! We all enjoy the process and the Pot 'o Rifle at the end!

Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thank you all for the great feedback. Think I might start an easier project before the AR. I think that I might just buy the lower and build the LMT. Something like the LMT : CQB MRP Defender Model Piston 16 since I do not have a rifle yet. My friend has this and loves it. He is telling me that I might be will be cheaper in the long run to buy the best. He really likes the new Monolithic rail platform (MRP). What would you buy in the same price range?

Feedback Score

Default Bellson, it sounds like you know your stuff.

"AR lowers can be fabricated from sheet steel. Start out with .040 4130 normalized and go from there. You will end up making three or four separate components and either bolting, riveting or welding them together. This is not a task for the un-skilled. My first four attempts went into the round file, and I have some skills. I already own several AR rifles, as well as formerly owning AR-180s built by Howa. I used my memory of the Howa lower as a starting point, and used a comercial AR lower for demensional accuracy..."

Duster if you elect to build one I hope you post pics. Sounds like it would be an interesting project from what Bellson said. I'm new at this so any pics I get to see are interesting as well as very helpful to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.