Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Poor Mans Ar 15

Feedback Score

sorry you have to spend more than what i spend and still your gun not gona be ar15

Feedback Score

Default Poor Man'd Ar 15

Today at gun show AR were going for a grand. I wouldn't build an AR unless it
    had a chorme bolt , chorme lined barrel and chamberber , would also want
    a match trigger and match sights.

The Kel Tec has a composite receiver , way of the future , like the bushmaster that cost 1300 dollars, and if you want a gas piston that will
    cost another 5 bills. The Kel Tec also has a Chrome lined barrel mine does.

Del Ton, Model 1. Miday are all sold out on parts, some like Midaway are not
    taking orders. Today at gun show I didn't even see a Kel Tec. For a few dollars more I will have one bad ass rifle. Oh yeah the Kel Tec has a lifetime
    warranty.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by stlswm View Post
    Today at gun show AR were going for a grand. I wouldn't build an AR unless it
    had a chorme bolt , chorme lined barrel and chamberber , would also want
    a match trigger and match sights.

The Kel Tec has a composite receiver , way of the future , like the bushmaster that cost 1300 dollars, and if you want a gas piston that will
    cost another 5 bills. The Kel Tec also has a Chrome lined barrel mine does.

Del Ton, Model 1. Miday are all sold out on parts, some like Midaway are not
    taking orders. Today at gun show I didn't even see a Kel Tec. For a few dollars more I will have one bad ass rifle. Oh yeah the Kel Tec has a lifetime
    warranty.

you know the DOD shit-canned the chromed bolt/chrome carriers a long-long time ago. last time i saw those they were on a shelf marked training use only---

the kel-tec ain't a bad deal though. certainly beats a mini.

Feedback Score

Default Poor Man's Ar 15

I think Del Ton has 32,000 parts orders right now, I'm not waiting three or four months for parts. Colt is no longer chorme lining thier bores on AR 15.
    Also, I would half to say that a chrome bolt is better than a non chrome bolt.
    My Russain SKS has one and so does my FAL and my Romy AKM, alot more rust and corrosion resistant. Chrome lined barrel is better to. My Fal, Cetme,
    AKM, SKS's and Kel Tec has one. Would want a chrome lined barrel if I had had an AR 15 barrel will last alot longer. Gas piston is better to, that will
    cost 500 dollars to upgrade to that. Composite materials are the way of the future to like the Kel Tec If this weapon turn out to be a POS I will let you
    know.Gas Piston is probably more reliable then direct impingement

Feedback Score

Prices are crazy for everything right now. I had a kel-tec su-16b. Nice inexpensive gun, but not nearly as accurate as my ar carbine. Probably closer to the mini-14 in accuracy. My gun did not have a chrome barrel, bolt or any other chrome parts. If they are doing that now then I guess that would to the value, but as far as I'm concerned as long as you properly clean your gun you don't need the chrome. I don't think we are taking these over to Iraq or Afganistan or firing corrosive ammo.
    As for feed issues with the carbine upper, Never had any problems with any ammo. This was built using a dpms "low pro" upper, no forward assist, std bolt and carrier. I'm sure if I let it sit in humid weather without cleaning, it would probably have issues. But then my mini would act up if I didn't clean it properly(anyone ever have a piston stick after sitting uncleaned). All guns have up and down sides. Great thing is we can all pick and choose what we like. One other thing is I take time and break the ar's in just as the manual said to. It's time consuming, but I have yet to ever have a problem, not only with the low pro, but with any of the uppers I've ever put together, some with chrome bolts,barrels, some without.
    I'd like to see some pics of your gun after it's all tricked out. I think it's great your going to do something a little different and along with the pics, list the components and prices you paid after your project is complete. Just like cars, some build Mustangs, some Camaros, and every once in a while you see a Pinto. Good luck

Feedback Score

Default Poor Man's Ar 15

Accuarcy with this weapon is about 1.25" to 2" MOA fron the reports I get.
    Les Baers are .25" if you got 2500 bills, a Bushmaster has an MOA of .5"
    some, a S&W M&P are gaurenteed to MOA at 1" what others like COLT, CMMG
    I don't know.

As far as I can tell this weapon has a chrome lined barrel, I have an Alpha Model, it has the heaviest barrel out of all three models which is good.
    Chrome will wear alot longer I bet. Barrel break in much simpler to.

Only Bushmaster has a composite reciever that I know of.This weapon weigh
    5 lbs. If you were high scaling in Afghanistan a lighter weapon might make
    a difference.

It uses a gas piston like an SKS, Fal or AKM. That means less recoil, less
    heat on the bolt carrier and carbon on the carrier , translating into better
    reliablity.If you want a gas piston AR like an SIG send CCMG 4 bills wait three
    months and you can have one.

They say this weapon is easier to clean than AR I will see when I go to the
    range.

This rifle also comes with a lifetime warranty. Will post pics when I get the
    stock change out and I change the sights to a Bravo model.

Correct me if wrong but there are no AR parts around, three to four month wait on kits, maybe an upper at gun show here or there. CCMG was at gun show there typical M4's went from 650 to 1000 bills since Barky got in there.
    Ak's went from 430 to 630 in price. Century Cetmes were going for 600
    now jumped to 830. Fals are out of sight. If you want a DSA wait six months for one.

Oh yes, when the Chineese or Ruskies see this weapon they might try to
    copy it the AK 16 ..

Feedback Score

The important thing is that you are happy with the purchase. I could counter a lot of what you said about the ar, but the point is that we are happy and buy what we like or can afford. I will point out one major plus, with an ar you can have multiple barrels, different calibers, impingment or piston all with one lower.
    Parts still can be found for the ar's, you just have to dig a little harder now.
    Like I said about the chrome, my gun wasn't chrome lined. Really as long as you clean it and don't shoot corrosive ammo they'll hold up fine. It will take a ton of rounds to shoot a barrel out. So don't sweat it, it's not really that big a deal in a civilian rifle. As for cleaning, aside from having to disassemble the piston I would say they are both easy. When cleaning make sure you hold that piston or it will launch like a rocket. A note if you fire wolf, it is MILDY corosive, so make sure you do a good job cleaning.
    Keltec makes a nice little gun for its intended market. It's a fun little gun and I think you'll enjoy it, and thats what it's all about.
    I got some heat 20 years ago for buying a mini 14. I was looking for the same things you are, something inexpensive that I could customize the way I wanted, as I could afford it, and have fun with, not a match rifle.

Feedback Score

Default Poor Man's Ar 15

Thanks for the tip about the gas piston . Wolf I have heard is bad for theese
    and AR's. I know that DSA doesn't recommend use in their AR's ( steel case).
    Will be awhile before i have it done.Before Barky got in there AR prices were low, Alot of competition.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Once just for brain exercise I sat down and designed the "perfect assault rifle -in my own mind anyway. I wanted the best proven features of all assault type weapons. My buddies father bougt a kel-tec and as I inspected it I saw that It was real close to what I had in mind.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

Default Glad to read all the opinions posted on kel tec.

Sounds like it might be well worth checking into as a possible option.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.