Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: $250 gas piston conversion?

Feedback Score

First, let me say that I have no stake in this kit and I am not in any way afilliated with TNW, the manufacturer of the kit.

Here's my .02 on this conversion: I have followed this conversion since it's inception on Weaponeer in January of '08. Here is a link to the thread on Weaponeer:
    Weaponeer Forums

Since these started shipping I have only heard of one instance of the "dreaded" carrier tilt, and the issue was never resolved by the reviewer even after TNW offered to inspect the rifle/parts and correct the problem. Here is the link to that thread:
    The Guns Network LLC ~ Discussion Forums - TNW $250 gas piston conversion (got it today)

One member of Weaponeer stated he was at the fall 08 Knob Creek event and the kits were selling like mad and TNW sold out at Knob Creek. Here is a list of places selling the conversions in order of cheapest price first:

Weaponeer: AR Gas Piston Conversion - Weaponeer Armament Resources LLC

Centerfire Systems: AR15/M16 Gas Piston Conversion Kit Part #AR-GASPISTON

Copes Distributing: Cope's Distributing

Military Gun Supply has a nickle plated version: TNW AR-15 Gas Piston System Conversion - Nickel Plated - $329.95 : Military Gun Supply, Your Source for Military Guns and More!

In my opinion, the firearms community is pretty quick to inform others of inferior products and "call on the carpet" manufacturers whose products don't live up to the claims the manufacturers make. I talked to TNW about this conversion and they have stated that they will stand behind it. Here is their website:
    TNW Firearms, Inc. Manufacturers of the semi-auto 1919, M2HB and MG34.

Companies don't stay around long if they sell crap and they don't get repeat business either.
    I have one of these kits, but I have been to busy to install it yet. Part of that has to do with the fact that I have been watching for factual reveiws that can actually prove this kit produces the "dreaded" carrier tilt. In the approximiatelty 6 months or so that this kit has been out, I have yet to see a bad review, other that the one I posted above, and the poster never completed the review to prove that it was the kit and not something else that caused the problem. He actually seemed to get an attitude when I called him on the carpet for not completing the reveiw. A review is not a review until you prove it was the product that failed, not another component in the system!
    My issue comes from the detractors who bash anything that alters their sacred, beloved Stoner system despite the proven issues it had/has. Firearms would not be what they are today if it wasn't for people who came up with improvements to make someone elses invention more reliable, more efficient, or in some way better than it was originally designed.
    After all I have posted here, I say do a search on Dogpile or Google or whatever and see if you can find an actual review that proves this product is no good or prduces carrier tilt or other damage, and if you do post it on other forums so we all can see it.
    Here are a couple of youtube vids of this product:

Lastly, a link to the installation instructions:
    http://www.militarysportsman.com/images/TNW_GPS-NP.pdf

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

yes i wouldn't be to quick to toss the idea on an inexpensive GP conversion either.

much of the bad press the GI system has got has to do with improper assembly or operator error. say a certain mall ninja type that would have a problem building a AR to start with--if he installed the GP system there will all most certainly be some problems.

i have yet to build an AR system with any GP system. but i have some experience with the ar-18/180s and bushmaster m-17s so i don't see any real reason not to do the GP conversion other than the cost and extra weight- in fact it could be THE solution for a SBR.-no reason it should not work IMHO.

Feedback Score
    74 (100%)

TNW has tested the gas piston sytem extensively and have had no problems with them. I have decided to start selling the TNW gas piston kits on my web site for $249. I have them in stock and shipping today.
    RCM Gun Parts
    Buy your US made AK-47 compliance parts here.
    Best price on US made AK parts! also $5 flat rate shipping .
    http://www.rcmgunparts.com/

Feedback Score

Finally got mine installed today. Only ran 1 mag of 20 thru it, but no failures to report. I'm gonna try to run around 100 or so more thru it tomorrow. I will keep you guys posted.

Installation was easy, but took longer than it should have because I gave the rifle a cleaning at the same time. My first time cleaning an AR, man these things get dirty! Hopefully this kit performs as designed. It would be nice to not have to clean this thing as much!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.