Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: $250 gas piston conversion?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak $250 gas piston conversion?

just before the obama panic of 09, gas piston conversions were all the rage in the AR-15 community.

personally i don't see any huge need being addressed with a gas piston conversion. what a gas piston conversion usually does is make the AR-15 into a ar-180. most conversions are expensive enough that that money looks to be better spent on a rifle that is designed with a piston ie AK/ar-180 ans so on. the exception would be this $250 set up. still not cheap--but reaching towards a more economic solution.

i happen to have a ar-180 and a bushmaster m-17s bull-pup which run the same type of gas piston system. they are good systems and reliable. they don't get as much dirt in the chamber/bolt area as the AR but they still get dirty. the ar-180 and m-17s are heavy for a 5.56-- so a gas piston adds more weight.

a SBR ar-15 with a 1o inch or 11inch barrel could really benifit from the gas-piston system i would recon.

anyways--any thoughts on the CFS kit???AR15/M16 Gas Piston Conversion Kit Part #AR-GASPISTON

Feedback Score

The price might be lower because they don't include the modified bolt carrier, only the part to modify your original carrier. Aren't the other kits short stroke designs?
    Has anyone done a piston conversion. I had been thinking of getting the bushmaster kit. But had second thoughts as to the benefits vs. cost. It was going to go on either the 6.5 or 6.8 upper I was going to build.

Feedback Score

i can get you plans to build one,like the one on my Grendel

Feedback Score

That would be great! I was looking for the post you had on that build but couldn't find it. I'm sure there are others on here that would like to try that build too.

Another Day In Paradise DiabloII's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    i can get you plans to build one,like the one on my Grendel

hell yeah i would be very interested in that
    buying up all the guns and ammo i can just to PISS OFF the douche bag liberals

Feedback Score

Just my $.02,
    After doing a bunch of research and all, I have decided to go with the Adams Arms kit. There was a recent post on another board where the user with one, had the piston break and the rifle kept cycling. I myself want one for the reliability factor. I have heard pro's and con's of both systems. I am trying one out for myself just to see. Ya, kinda expensive, but you get what you pay for; has been my experience. If everything goes well I probably will do a second build with a GP system on it. Only time will tell now.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by afrey1967 View Post
    That would be great! I was looking for the post you had on that build but couldn't find it. I'm sure there are others on here that would like to try that build too.
    http://www.gunco.net/forums/f255/pis...rawings-45875/

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1movingforward4 View Post
    Just my $.02,
    ...There was a recent post on another board where the user with one, had the piston break and the rifle kept cycling. I myself want one for the reliability factor.
    Reliability? The piston broke, that's pretty unreliable if you ask me...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Just sell the AR and put the money toward a SIG 556. Much better weapon IMO. All the good points of the AR with an AK style gas piston.

Feedback Score

Well, if the rifle stopped and could no longer work after the piston broke then I would agree, but it kept going. I call that reliable. Maybe not durable, but reliable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.