Thread: chrome lined ??

"FREEDOM FOREVER !!" james ward's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Red face chrome lined ??

If the chamber is chromed, does that mean the barrel is too ?????

Feedback Score

Probably, it wouldn't be worth the effort to plug the bore just ahead of the chamber...

Check the muzzle too.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

There were some ar15/m16 barrels that only had a chromed chamber.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    There were some ar15/m16 barrels that only had a chromed chamber.
    Huh, I thought one of the main things [other than corrosion protection] was that the bore would be easier to clean...

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

It seems stupid to me too. Here's a thread on it over at ar15.com complete with pic's. 0Colt's USGI M16 series variation guide edition IV - AR15.COM

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

There used to be a difference between the two terms, but for anything made since the 1950's, the terms are interchangeable....

Chrome lining a chamber is less critical dimension-wise than chrome lining a bore. Also, chrome is expensive, so just lining the chamber was thought to be an extravagance that was not needed. Side note: This is one reason why the SMLE rifles were so successful and reliable, the Brits maintained the tapered .303 rimmed case design simply because it seals, and extracts more easily than a straight walled case.

Anyway, research has shown that chrome lined chambers are nearly worthless unless the barrel is lined as well. The M-16 is about the only rifle I can think of that is an exception to that rule, the main issue that was being addressed as a flaw was extraction, and so Colt did produce many 10s of 1000s of barrels that have a chrome chamber, but not a chrome barrel. We used to run across those and some of the original non-chromed barrels at Lackland AFB. OCS had lots of them. Most were easy to distinguish since they also had no forward-assist. As you can search out and read, the M-16A1 spec. includes a chrome lined chamber and bore. The original M-16 spec (if you can find it) does not.

I digress.

There are simple visual checks that can verify a chromed bore and chamber, but if the bore has excessive wear, the chrome may be gone as well.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    There used to be a difference between the two terms, but for anything made since the 1950's, the terms are interchangeable....

Chrome lining a chamber is less critical dimension-wise than chrome lining a bore. Also, chrome is expensive, so just lining the chamber was thought to be an extravagance that was not needed. Side note: This is one reason why the SMLE rifles were so successful and reliable, the Brits maintained the tapered .303 rimmed case design simply because it seals, and extracts more easily than a straight walled case.

Anyway, research has shown that chrome lined chambers are nearly worthless unless the barrel is lined as well. The M-16 is about the only rifle I can think of that is an exception to that rule, the main issue that was being addressed as a flaw was extraction, and so Colt did produce many 10s of 1000s of barrels that have a chrome chamber, but not a chrome barrel. We used to run across those and some of the original non-chromed barrels at Lackland AFB. OCS had lots of them. Most were easy to distinguish since they also had no forward-assist. As you can search out and read, the M-16A1 spec. includes a chrome lined chamber and bore. The original M-16 spec (if you can find it) does not.

I digress.

There are simple visual checks that can verify a chromed bore and chamber, but if the bore has excessive wear, the chrome may be gone as well.

we got a small batch of CAR and m-16 barrels transferred to us from the USAF back in 89 as replacement parts--some slab side m-16s and CARs too boot. i think the non-chromed barrels and chromed chamber only barrels had the same status as the chrome plated bolts and carriers which was training only. some were molded into the much hated rubber-duck non-rifle m-16 training device. imagine some boot giving up a 100 push-ups to a DI for dropping the rubber-duck and you get the hated part!

this was the only ones i have ever seen. and i think they were exclusive to the early to mid 1960s

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.