Thread: Stuck bolt question of the day

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Question Stuck bolt question of the day

I've been handed an ar15 upper that was in the process of having its headspace checked. Here are the specifics:

1. Bolt was completely stripped of extractor/ejector.
    2. Bolt inserted back in carrier with just the cam pin
    3. NO GO gauge inserted in chamber
    4. Bolt/carrier pushed forward to see if it would close, and it did
    5. Bolt/carrier was pulled back, but now it's stuck. Carrier moves forward/backward maybe 1/8" at most. Bolt head not turning.
    6. I looked into the carrier where the firing pin should/would be and can see that the cam pin is turned.

Is the hangup with the bolt head stuck against the gauge in the chamber and just real tight to where the head wont rotate to allow removal?

or

Is the hangup with the cam pin being rotated and hanging up in the top of the receiver?
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I know an idiot that did something like that! Alright it was me.. I put a carrier in without a firing pin and the cam pin turned and got stuck. I eventually worked a firing pin back inside of the bolt and got the bolt carrier out. If you can work a firing pin into the carrier and its still stuck then its the stuck chamber guage. The cam pin marked up the edges of the relief cut in the aluminum receiver from me trying to pull the bolt carrier out before I got the firing pin back in. Its been many years and I don't remember how much the bolt carrier would come back before it would stop though.

EDIT: I played around with spare upper I have and if you have no luck getting a firing pin worked back in there is another option. This seems sort of familiar. The bolt will turn easily witht the cam pin turned 90 degrees the wrong way if you partially pull the barrel out so that the bolt will start to turn before it normally would which is the clearance you need so that the longer side of the cam pin has enough clearance to get past the cutout in the upper. If that makes sense. Hopefully one of the military guys will have a quick and easy method of getting the cam pin turned correctly.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Thanks moleman. I managed to get it out by pulling the retaining pin on the gas tube and pulling the gas tube towards the receiver. Popped it free. Guess it was just the pressure from the gauge and bolt head pushed in real tight.

Glad that's fixed. The owner was ready to start cutting the receiver apart!
    " The world is a very dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who do nothing about them." - Albert Einstein, 1879-1955

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.