Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kit or Induvidual Parts

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Kit or Induvidual Parts

Hello everyone,

I want to buy an AR15 some time in the future, and buying it in pieces seems to be the way to go. I'm found a site that will give me everything I need minus the lower reciever for around $500. This includes the lower parts kit.

The Tannery Shop- Gun Kit: AR-15

This seems like a good deal, but could I do better if I buy the parts on their own? If you think so, links would be appreciated. Also, if one of the kits on the tannery looks better than another I'm open to suggestions.

On a side note, I'm mostly going to do range shooting and I'm trying to decide between ther 20 and 24 inch barrel. Is the difference in accuracy worth the goofy look of the 24 inch?

Thanks for all the imput!

Feedback Score

thing is, kit already headspace, and installed, saving you some tools. i think shippin would be better too

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I didn't even think about headspacing. That pretty much wraps up that question. Thanks for the quick response.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Are any of those in stock right now?
    Side note; The 24'' will give you higher velocity. It will matter at long range
    (less wind effect) but not at mid/close range.
    How far do you intend to shoot?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Not terribly far. After thinking about it, the 20" barrel will probably be more than accurate enough for me.

Everything appears to be in stock, but its hard to know for sure.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I would buy a kit if there in stock let us here Know I've been looking for in stock parts fore a long time now

Get a kit now and if you want to change out parts later you can. Good Barrels, FCG, are super hard to find at a good price now. get a kit you will have a working gun now verse just parts. Or do like me buy lowers as many as you can (at a good price don't go crazy now) then wait it out, ammo is too much $$$ right now anyway to be shooting the price on this stuff will go down one of these days i hope

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

all complete ar-15/m16 barrels are head spaced off the barrel extension. this is done at the factory to a standard head-space "mostly". there SHOULD be no problems with a new bolt & barrel even if it is a DIY build with the bolt and barrel from opposing makes even. although is is all ways a good idea to check the head space--even on a factory built rifle just for insurance as quality control is suspect during the current panic situation.

your likely better off with a complete kit. since the panic some parts are hard to come by--barrels, bolts.carriers, lpk and the like.

it was better before the panic to build from parts as you could pick and chose what you want. now days you don't have that luxury. i was strictly running LMT bolts and 4150 cva hard chrome lined barrels. bought some bolt carriers from M&A normally something i wouldn't do..-barrels --4140 chrome or not-anything goes---IF you can find any.-

the tannery is is good outfit from what i have heard. they mostly sell DPMS stuff i think.

if they are too far back ordered you might try Del-ton. they are running 12-16 weeks BO which sounds like a lot. but some RRA places are running 9-12 months BO and LMT is up to 2 years BO!!

in this situation dle-ton looks pretty good @ 16 weeks!!
    Last edited by j427x; 05-01-2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: typo

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    bought some bolt carriers from M&A normally something i wouldn't do..
    For what its worth I've bought numerous bolt carriers from M&A over the years. They won't tell you who they get their bolt carriers from and they have a grind mark (pre park) where the original manufacturer marked them. On one bolt carrier "FN" is clearly visible in the grind mark. I suspect that perhaps these didn't meet FN's spec's for something and thats why they ground off their mark, or they were over runs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've built several AR's and they are very easy to assemble. Do yourself a favor and get a barrel nut wrench (combination) to torque the barrel into the upper receiver. Easy to do with the right wrench (very inexpensive).
    I hope your kit is available. I have not found anyone with complete kits (less receiver) for many moons now. Heck, barrels are 3 months backlogged.
    Good luck and let us know if you have questions.
    Bill
    Bill from Spartanburg

Be like an old dog!!!! If you can't eat it or screw it, just piss on it and walk away!!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I probably wont be ordering for a while now, but I'll let you all know how it comes out. Who knows, by the time I round up the money for this thing the panic could be over.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.