no love for olympic?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no love for olympic?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Post1911 no love for olympic?

years and years ago at some gun show back i the 80s i looked over an olympic plinker. it was way overpriced for the times IIRC. the upper and lower was crudely cast. the finish looked like it was painted on with a brush in cheap black primer. everything fitted loose as a goose. the plastic looked cheap and ill fitted. more of a turn off than a turn on.

a couple decades later i am at another gun show looking at an olympic ar-15 type rifle. and if looks mean anything it was much improved, made of forgings with sharp well defined roll marks, much better fit and finish, decent plastic, and the price while nothing great was at least in the ball park.

now i know all the mall-ninja sites seem to hate the Oly for whatever mall-ninja reasons.

now myself i have never owned a Oly so i can't say if they are the shit or just plain shit.

anyway anybody have or have had in the past a olympic AR?

why is the oly so scorned by the mall-ninjas???

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

They got a bad rap from the cast (cheap as we can make it) plinker model you spoke of. Their other guns are fine. I have 3 of their lowers and one of them is a SGW stop sign marked factory gun. All the upper/lower receivers I have from them are all forged. The factory gun was from at least the 80's I believe, and it had some m16 parts in it like the trigger, disconnector and selector. It has a pin in the side of the receiver to keep you from turning the selector past semi though. I guess 25-30 years ago that was ok. I swapped out those parts with semi parts to cover my ass after the broken gun guy got prison time. My buddy also has two olympics and one is an old billet receiver. I haven't had any issues with mine other than finding out my factory guns A2 profile barrel had 1-14" twist rifling that shot fine with 55gr ammo but would tumble ss109. Not the barrels fault though. I had a DPMS gun that had a cast receiver and I hated it. I sold it and bought the stop sign marked gun. I think the main reason mall ninjas hate them so is that it doesn't have a pony on the side.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

I remember way back when they were the only game in town. Lower receivers cut/machined from a block of 7075T6 aluminum, they had the squarest look.

In later years, I purchased their barrels in 6X45mm and they were moosemeat, broach cut and accurate as all get-out.

I haven't purcased anything from them in years, but they have got to be getting better.
    "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

WOLVERINES! One of GUNCO's First Hundred!

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I had one of their 20" ultramatch 6x45 and as Toten Kopf stated it was every accurate, in a moment of stupidity I sold it. One ragged hole groups were the norm as long as I did my part and maintained good reloading practices. I recently bought the 24" 6x45 barrel that was on my buddies machine cut lower gun and the last time I shot it we were getting under 1/2" with it with loads for my gun. I got the barrel for my son to use for the youth deer season if I can get him shooting well enough.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I have owned and sold a whole sh*t load of Olympic Arms products. I absolutely loved their .30 Cal Carbine AR rifle. The trash is long gone, and Olympic themselves have quietly gone about recalling and fixing issues that may not have ever existed. Mall ninjas are just that. I personally owned one of the cast lower/upper rifles in an A1 configuration. Oly used surplus furniture that was "hand polished" by dedicated Marines and Soldiers. They are now well and truly out of that business.....

As far as I am concerned, Olympic Arms is a quality product, and Oly stands behind it to a fault. I would recommend them to anyone. I just wish they would bring their prices into line with the rest of the industry.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I had a oly 762X39 upper from them back when they were a new thing and it shot way left a 50 M I moved the sights all the way over and it still shot several feet left... I sent it back to them, they lost it for 6 months... in there back room... found it after many phone calls.. I exchanged it for a 223 11.5W/4.5 FH upper gas hole was drilled too small so would double feed after 3 magazines until you lubed the hell out of the bolt carrier... you'd get another three magazines double feed again.. I got it to run with a colt sporter bolt carrier the one with the rear section cut off flat. light weight.. enough to work... It shot fine for years with that carrier... but I sold it to a friend... a few years ago... I had problems with oly so I will not buy from them... anymore.. I know they are better quality these days but I don't need to buy from them...so I don't... Also no Chrome lined barrels were offered by oly, maybe they have them these days.. I've been a Bushmaster fan.. B2B

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Both of these started life as Olympic stripped lowers.(consecutively numbered)
    Neither has ever skipped a beat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The olympic i used to have ran great, sold it , some mags and 500 rnds of ammo so i could buy a second bike.
    ~ Czolgosz, Leon (1873-1902)
    "I killed the President because he was the enemy of the good people, the good working people. I am not sorry for my crime."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i didn't know oly made a 30carbine conversion!

now the 6mm/45 looks to have been a serious contender for SPC..

i haven't shot a oly--but i can't see any reason they wouldn't run like any other AR platform. i had some olympic barrels and lowers on my buy list before the panic. by the time i got around to trying to buy them they were long OOS.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have an Oly K3B and I like it enough to keep it until i'm sure enough that I can get another AR.

I don't like the finish much but it shoots lights out!

I have shot Colt's, Bushy's, Double Star's and Rock River's and I would put the Oly up against any of them as far as shooting goes!

I haven't yet put the Oly through it's paces in a 2-3 or 5 day 'shoot school scenario so I don't know how well it would hold up in a extreme environment but I would bet it will hold up and hold it's own!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.