Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: breaking in? WTF are they talking about?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak breaking in? WTF are they talking about?

i sometimes see a comment over at the mall-ninja AR15/M4 boards that goes like this.

X-brand of gold plated mall-ninja weapon brand new out of the box is short stroking,FTF, double feed ect ect-- and the guy that owns this device is well pissed because he spent $$$$ of dough and the damn thing and it won't run, or won't run with steel cased ammo and so on.

outside of the usual user error i sometimes see the comment "well fire a few hunderd/500 /1,000 rounds and after it is broken in the problem should go away!"

now granted on some of my AK builds they did need a few rounds to loosen up and start running on some of the builds. but most of the time they didn't. and by few rounds i mean one mag or less.

i can't say i am some kind of AR-15 guru but over the few years i have assembled a number of these weapons and nearly every damned one of them ran right out the door. with the exception of one LMT upper which had a metal fragment lodged in the gas vent on the barrel and no amount of ammo would have dislodged the metal shrad lodged in the port. after a few rounds i knew there was something wrong with the upper and by a quick process of elimination i ended up removing the gas tube/FS base and then peering down the gas port on the barrel.

the question of the day is this? you folks ever see a new AR type that needed a "breaking period of 100 or more rounds" where there was nothing reallywrong with the weapon??

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I 'break in' my barrels with a cleaning routine, but no, the rifle is supposed to function properly from the very first round. If it doesn't, something is wrong.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If they don't function correctly by the end of a 30 round mag then there's a problem. I have had a couple uppers that the front sight base or the gas key didn't form a good seal and it took a few more rounds to seal it off before it ran good. Heck I had a buddy that was having an occasional short stroke on his gun and after I broke it down to look at it I found that he had forgot to put on one of the gas rings when he put it together.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I guess I've been fortunate so far. I've always used DPMS or Rock River (labeled) parts though. After parts started drying up I did buy 2 LPKs from Model1 at a show. One of the trigger/ disconnectors would NOT install in one of the lowers we were assembling.
    The set from the other kit dropped in perfectly. And the trigger that wouldnt fit, dropped right into a different lower and works fine. Go figure.?.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    If they don't function correctly by the end of a 30 round mag then there's a problem. I have had a couple uppers that the front sight base or the gas key didn't form a good seal and it took a few more rounds to seal it off before it ran good. Heck I had a buddy that was having an occasional short stroke on his gun and after I broke it down to look at it I found that he had forgot to put on one of the gas rings when he put it together.

HA HA HA HA!!!

I did that once too!!!! So I'm not the only dummy in the world!!!!!
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I have had a few that needed a little work on the trigger, or hammer, etc. What I consider "normal" fitting of factory new components. I have even had to work on a few parts when switching lowers around. A recent one is a kit from Blackthorne ( Yup, I know)..where the bolt really locks into the extension. But I agree, 30 rounds or less should do the trick. Although, if JRS is reading this, we may need to go higher than 30 rounds. But that is ONLY because Murphy has such a hard-on for Marines.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    HA HA HA HA!!!

I did that once too!!!! So I'm not the only dummy in the world!!!!!
    The thing that makes it even more funny is that he had just got done shooting it for about 500 rounds in swat training and they just chocked it up as a new rifle that needed breaking in. I also told him not to remove the gas rings for normal cleaning, just replacement. I have also had a couple cariers chew up the first set of gas rings to the point that they needed replacement within 1000 rounds or so. I don't know if it was a burr inside the carrier or some junk that got blown down the gas system. At any rate I haven't had to replace them a second time yet and they look fine. Ok, now to fess up. I haven't forgotten a gas ring but I some how managed to get a gas tube installed upside down on my first 6x45 upper with one of the older one piece free float tubes. Boy was I mad at the idiot who did that (me) when I went to shoot it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile Breaking in..

The last M-16 I owned, Govt. issue, the Sargent handed it to me and then took it back.
    Stuck a 20 round mag in there, went full auto into the air and said, "Here this one works good luck trooper."
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

Quote Originally Posted by tanvil View Post
    I guess I've been fortunate so far. I've always used DPMS or Rock River (labeled) parts though. After parts started drying up I did buy 2 LPKs from Model1 at a show. One of the trigger/ disconnectors would NOT install in one of the lowers we were assembling.
    The set from the other kit dropped in perfectly. And the trigger that wouldnt fit, dropped right into a different lower and works fine. Go figure.?.

on one of my builds last year i had a CMMG lower parts kit which i installed in a double-star lower. everything worked fine except the trigger felt like it was made of rocks. horrible hard gritty pull. i swapped the hammer for a old old colt i had laying around and now it is super smooth.

ironically i put the same gritty CMMG hammer in my cav-arms plastic lower along with a armalite trigger and it works very well. not quite as smooth as the colt hammer but much-much better than it did in the double star with the all-CMMG parts.

sometimes it is really nice to have a few spare parts to swap around.

Feedback Score

A long time ago my Army ordnance section chief showed me how to make issue M-16 parts work. You swap them around with other rifles until they function. That's called. "selective fitting" and is an approved proceedure in the Army.

The chief was a real small arms expert and a great shooter. He also knew I liked hanging around with his section to learn gun stuff. As the CO I made sure that his section received the needed parts, budget money, ammo (for competition), and pubs. Funds got tight after Vietnam but we did have plently of left-over ammo.

VD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.