Thread: FTF issue.. too dry??

Feedback Score

Default FTF issue.. too dry??

Hi all, I just picked up a used AR and put about 100rds through it the other day without much luck.(its .223 cal by the way)
    It's a Colt upper and Rock River Arms lower, I believe a 20" barrel. I'm still a bit new to AR's, but I'm catching on quickly.

Basically it won't feed after about 10rds have been fired. it will either strip a new round and force the bullet tip into the top of the chamber(almost vertical) or it will graze the top of the case and the bullet will jam at the bottom of the feed ramp and in turn denting the neck of the case slightly.

I took it completely apart yesterday and cleaned the bolt and carrier assy, applied oil sparingly and tried again with no luck. Also, the mag has been swapped out. I used 5 diff mags each time. A bushy 20rd/30rd and 3 diff GI mags.

I must have read a hundred threads on FTF FTE issues on this forum and didn't find much help. The only thing I found was someone mentioned their AR wouldn't feed unless it was DRIPPING wet with oil. So, as a last resort I liberally applied oil to the bolt and carrier and tried again.

Went to the range with it this morning, leaking oil from everywhere like an old small block chevy... and sure enough, it didn't jam once.

So should I just call it a day and just make sure it's drenched with oil every time I shoot it?

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.
    Yugo SKS PSO-1, RPK Bipod | GSG5 G3 furniture | GSG5p | Romy G

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i would check the gas key on top of the carrier. i would also check out the bolt extractor-gas rings ect. any of your current mags have anti-tilt followers?? i say that because the short followers can tilt over and cause all kinds of weird jams. what ammo are you running in it? what mags?

and lastly make sure your mag is fully seated--you would be shocked how many folks that don't have their mag all the way seated and can't figure out the problem. on the training range i yelled at the boots--slap it in HARD!

i have several AR-15 and fired the m16 m4 series for several decades in the service i can't say i ever saw ONE that had to run sopping wet with oil. such an animal could exist but so could big-foot!

in dusty desert areas we were very minimal with the oil as it attracts dust. it needs some oil but that sopping wet oil deal is a bit much. i did qualify once with a bone dry m-16 firing a full automatic rifle course. did the whole day without a hiccup. flooding the weapon with oil certainly shouldn't be needed.

Feedback Score

thanks for the quick reply!

The issue has been resolved already, I took it back where I purchased it and they had their gunsmith fix it for me free of charge.(it was used, so I was surprised they did that much...)

The fellow that worked on it was a bushmaster employee for several years(I live about 20 minutes from Bushmaster... comes in handy sometimes). Apparently the barrel nut was not torqued down enough and also the pin for the gas tube in the front sight was missing. So I guess it WAS short stroking! And with good reason! lol...

That explains some of the theory behind the oil saturation, probably helped seal some of the gas leaks possibly?

Anyway he also ramped up the barrel a bit, there was a pretty sharp step from the upper to the barrel, so he smoothed it out some and polished it up a bit. He replaced the missing pin and torqued the barrel properly. I fired quite a few rounds through it this afternoon and not a single glitch!!! LOVE my new AR!

btw- as for the mags, I am using two 30rd bushmasters(grey followers, very sturdy..) and a couple GI 20rd mags.

edit: a couple pics for the visual folks

and again with some new school "tacticalness"...
    Yugo SKS PSO-1, RPK Bipod | GSG5 G3 furniture | GSG5p | Romy G

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.