5.45x39 CAR vs 9x19mm AR pistol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.45x39 CAR vs 9x19mm AR pistol

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Post1911 5.45x39 CAR vs 9x19mm AR pistol

i am thinking about getting one of those expensive 5.45x39 wilson CAR barrels that just came in stock since my latest 7.62x39 barrel is going to be on BO for a while. i have a bolt i think will work with the 5.45

then i stumble on a rather inexpensive 9mm barrel for the ar-types for about half what the 5.45 goes for. but then you have a expensive bolt carrier group and a mag block and other expensive shit to finish a 9mike-mike up.

in this uncertain world in which we now live which would be the most useful and which would have the longest legs?

whichever i build will have to last beyond the current political climate. cost is important but i don't want to end up with a firearm that there is no ammo for in say 10 years-- or one that ammo costs so much it just as well be a boat anchor!!

any thoughts or advice on the two??? i am still leaning to the 5.45 right now.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

9mm is the most common handgun cartridge in the world.

5.45 is common now and with the possibility of domestic manufacture coming soon with v-max bullets to boot.

I think either one will be here for a while but, honestly, the 223 and 5.45 fill the same niche. why not go 9mm?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

With the 5.45 you can use AR mags you just have to do a little mod to get them to work I'm trying to do both myself I went nuts a ways back and bought so so sooo many AR lowers when they where still under the $100 mark. I like the 9mm because I just got a XD thats shoots 9mm but the 5.45 is going to be sweet cheap ammo for now just wish I would have bought some back when it was cheap.

wish i could tell how they shoot but parts are on back order

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i am leaning to the 5.45 even though the barrel is too expensive for what it is--if the barrel was around $150ish like the rest of the 5.56s i wouldn't even have to think about it.

a 9mm ar-pistol has some advantages--but it would be more expensive due to more parts being needed and i'll have to buy more mags.

i've been playing around with my GI-mags with magpull followers. they seem to want to feed the 5.45x39s without modifications. and c-products has 5.45 mags for $16 a pop--so--lol

Feedback Score

you can get uzi mags galore for 9mm use, and 9mm isn't going anywhere. 5.45 might or might not catch on/ right now its popular because its cheap/ but it really doesn't do anything that .223 didn't already do first. Most ammo prices are going down, but 5.45 is going up. Eventualy 5.45 will rise/ .223 will come down and the more popular more established round will win out in the long run, i.e. .223, especialy when supplies/surplus 5.45 is gone.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

5.45 is way cheaper unless your a reloader and while 9mm is real popular it has NO WHERE near the ass of the 5.45...

im convinced that my 5.45AR is WAY WAY better than the 5.56AR.
    Hate takes LESS energy & thought... Dont be so Lazy.

Building or Bitching? which are you here to do?

YES, i work for TEC Tactical. 02/07 SOT

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Go with a 545 its a better design for the AR platform.. 9mm has issues and more problems... with feeding. The UZI mags ain't cheap these days and you'll have to modify them with a mill or dremal and there are other problems about straight blow back systems like wear and tear on your hammer pin holes in your receivers heavy buffers... only problem with 545 is the ammo and if your smart you'd do like I did and buy a large amount 10-15K while it is cheap... that would last a few years depending on how much you shoot... B2B

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

looks like i am ordering the 5.45 barrel. since the 5.45 is a kissing cousin to the m193 round it should be an easy set up. if i don't like i can sell/trade it later.

the irony is that the barrel cost about as much as a romac akm in 5.45x39 a couple years back!

last time i priced ammo it was the 5.45 that went down--although not by much. running around $150 a full case of 1080 for mill surp--which is pretty good compared to $150+ for a half case of 7.62x39 or 5.56.

new 5.45 is still a little cheaper than 5.56 in the same brand. i think 5.45 will be around for a while at least. even if it ain't it wouldn't be hard to convert the upper to 5.56 or 7.62x39 as about all i'll have in the 5.45 build is the barrel.

regards
    j427x

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    even if it ain't it wouldn't be hard to convert the upper to 5.56 or 7.62x39 as about all i'll have in the 5.45 build is the barrel.
    and the bolt, it is the same diameter bolt face as 9mm.
    Good choice going with the 5.45, it is just about the cheapest out there...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Post1911

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    and the bolt, it is the same diameter bolt face as 9mm.
    Good choice going with the 5.45, it is just about the cheapest out there...

i have a 6.8 bolt left over from another project i think will work. so for me just a barrel if everything fits. the 6.8 bolt fits the 5.45x39 rounds nearly perfect--won't know till the barrel arrives if it head-spaces correctly. i got my fingers crossed that it will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.