Thread: 5.45x39 AR mags

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default 5.45x39 AR mags

i don't have any of the c-products 5.45x39 mags to test out, but since there not that expensive i'll likely order a couple one of these days.

with my limited testing on GI,D&H and magpull p-mags with the 5.45 round this is what i discovered.

the mag-pull p mags were the worst--they wouldn't feed more than about 7 rounds. any more and the 5.45 would sometimes stick down inside the mags.

the D&H steel mags fed up to 24+ rounds fine--but when emptying the rounds with the mag out of the weapon the rounds looked to be only held in place by the very back of the feed lips. when taking the rounds out of the mag by hand they were tilting around all over the place. to looking at this it is hard to see how it fed the rounds while in the weapon. these were the mags i used during my testing the other day. the spring would also get soft at about the mid way point. they seemed to work but i certainly can't trust them for 5.45 rounds. the D&H steel mags were the same with the green GI followers or the anti-tilt types.

so i dug deep into my old-old duffle bag and found some very old USGI aluminum mags and some really crappy made in china gun show junk mags that i bought back during the clinton AW ban.

these mags with the green followers feed the 5.45 about perfect. ironically the china junk mags in praticular love the 5.45.

after loading the rounds in them up to 28-29 rounds. they strip out easy, no binds, no tilting, no soft springy-ness anywhere in the mags while loaded up. i don't know that real 5.45 mags could be much better than these make-dos.

the moral of the story is. if you go with a 5.45 upper you may or may not need new mags. the new-hi tec mall ninja mags may not be the way to go with the 5.45x39. if you have some old mags that were questionable with 5.56--check them out as they may run 5.45 very well. from what i have seen so far the super tight fitting mags are not the way to go with the 5.45. the least expensive aluminum mags you can get your hands on may the best for 5.45

Feedback Score

The cheap chinese mags "O-kay" ones? they have extremely tiltable followers [just about the opposite of magpul followers], it allows them to compensate for the different taper on the cartridges.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

the c products stainless mags work perfectly for me with no problems at all...
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Post1911 that would be the preferred 5.45x39 mag

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    the c products stainless mags work perfectly for me with no problems at all...

yes the c-products 5.45x39 mag certainly would be the best for any 5.45x39 build.

some of the 5.56 mags work OK with the 5.45x39 rounds.

the aluminum mags with the green followers seem to work well. i have heard that the aluminum GI type mags with the black followers work. but i don't have any of those to test. so i can't verify the black follower.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Post1911 import mags

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    The cheap chinese mags "O-kay" ones? they have extremely tiltable followers [just about the opposite of magpul followers], it allows them to compensate for the different taper on the cartridges.
    i don't know who made these mags. i think their from china--but all i do know about them is they are imported from somewhere.

about half of them are swelled out at the top so bad they won't go into the mag well-!!

i think i got these as a freebe when i bought some bulk ammo at a gun show in the late 80s.

what i did was when i put the mag-pull followers in some GI mags i had a handful of GI green 30rd followers that i took out. i put those in the best of the junk mags and ironically they seem to work well with the 5.45x39 rounds. they also seem to feed 5.56 OK with the green GI followers--they just seem to like the 5.45 even better though.

Feedback Score

Huh, I've cleaned up some "Okay" ones, they were supposed to be bad, but they even required filing down the spotwelds on the bolt hold open rib thing.

One of them the follower tilted so bad while unloading it [the follower caught halfway, and I was shaking the rounds out] it let a couple rounds slide under the follower, I've never even heard of that happening!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cproducts makes god stuff bought a bunch of there .308 an 9mm mags top stuff the .308 are better than factroy DPMS .308. Bought a few of there SS 5.56 mags seem to be ok put not as good as a GI mag.

From what I remember the 5.45 has a shorter feed lips and a magpul like follower. I got a 5.45 project I'm working on my plan was to buy one SW factroy mag to get the right size of the feed lips. Then i was going to match it with one every type of mag I have to see what works best.

Bummer to hear the magpul pmags will not feed I might try to cut down the feed lips to just part of the round it touches to see if it helps I would like to go to all pmags but if i can't I got a boat load if GI mags that I know i can get to work

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

you could likely make the p-mags work. i just hate experimenting with some good 5.56 mags! so i am saving my pmags for the 5.56.

c-products makes the mags for the S&W i believe.

one of these days magpull may turn out some 5.45 mags if they do i am sure they will work great.

the 5.45x39 is turning out to be a champ in the AR/CAR/m4.easy to build/run as falling off a log!!

my other conversion project a 7.62x39 CAR is being a PITA. and it ain't the mags causing the problems with it either-

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cutting up a good pmag would seem nuts I need to get more of them midway has been getting some in lately so i got a few more 5 at a time tho. glad to hear its running ok tho good luck with the 7.62x39mm

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.