Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What makes ARs better?

Feedback Score

Default What makes ARs better?

I've been looking at cmmg ARs, but I can get a ruger mini 14 for about $300 less. Is there any significant advantage of the AR, other than accessories?

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The AR15's are like lego guns in that you can replace any and all parts yourself. In my own personal experience the ar15 also beats the mini14 hands down in accuracy.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i have had several mini-14's starting the with the 180 series then 181-182 and so on. the best one was the first one i got. to me the mini was a great design but its implementation sucked.

the reliability of the AR/M16 series is pretty good. i have carried it it all kinds of harsh places and it hasn't failed me. if it was the dud some folks make it out to be i would be surly a dead man. the AR don't cost much if any more than the mini if you BIY . hell one place i shop for parts at sells some DPMS new for $700--last time i looked a mini was going for about that.

you have all kinds of mags, barrels, conversion barrels and plentiful spare parts.

i have a 5.45x39, a 7.62x39, a m4fogerie a mid-length a1-- and numerous others and you can swap just about everything from one rifle to the other. another bright spot for the AR is that you can do a barrel change with a wrench and for the most part not worry about the head space as it is head spaced off the barrel extension. accuracy has all ready been mentioned--all of mine shoot very well.

it is a very versatile and simple weapon and easy to smith on. its only real flaw is that is it some what expensive and when you get that first one--they multiply!!! you have then caught the dreaded B.R.D. --and the only cure is to buy lots of ammo--lol

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Spare magazines are also cheaper for the AR. Milspec brand new 30s are everywhere in the $10-12 range. Mini hi-caps are expensive and at one time were hard to find (factory) as Ruger had a "no 20s or 30s for civillians" sales policy. They recenty reversed this and now sell them to anybody, but the price is up there. Aftermarket Mini mags are generally crap, although a couple brands (also hard to find!) have a good rep for functioning.

Ar prices should come down a bit once the current buying frenzy fizzles out. May take years for that to happen though.......

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I like my mini 14 but would never buy another Ruger product because of the 'no hicaps for civilians' thing.
    Keep saving up for your AR, that extra $300 is well worth it.

Feedback Score

Does the lower manufacturer make much of a difference in the rifle?

Is a complete rock river lower for $330 (shipping and FFL included) good?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The prices are already starting to come down. I just got a kit off Gunbroker and it dropped about $75 from the time I started looking at it to the time I bought it.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by silverzippo93 View Post
    Does the lower manufacturer make much of a difference in the rifle?

Is a complete rock river lower for $330 (shipping and FFL included) good?
    I'd just get a complete kit of whatever style you want, and a stripped lower. If you can turn a screw driver and tap in a roll pin you can put one together as most kits come with the upper already done these days.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

HA! I've never saved a dime doing it myself. Before I know it, I've upgraded everything and spent more than I planned on.
    And yes, Rock River lowers are great. (check around for $$$'s)
    Especially the 2 stage NM trigger which, if I'm not mistaken, comes in all of them.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    I'd just get a complete kit of whatever style you want, and a stripped lower. If you can turn a screw driver and tap in a roll pin you can put one together as most kits come with the upper already done these days.
    $485 for a Del-ton complete kit, upper assembled. How is del-ton's quality?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.