Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: short stroking CAR upper? any advice?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lim144 View Post
    So this happened to me 10 years ago on my CAR that parts came from everywhere but most of upper was from Model-1. I found it to be a gas problem by measuring the spring weight on the operating handle. I put a tape on the operating handle and hooked a scale, fishing scale, on it and pulled it all the way back. It mapped pretty close to the other rifle that wasn't having a problem. So I knew it wasn't the bolt, plunger, spring nor the pin...

So I pulled the gas-tube out. Inspected it. Got frustrated to find nothing. Put the damn thing together, took it to my friend's farm to have him look at the problem, and the stupid thing shot just fine. "What problem?", my smart ass friend replied after shooting few different ammo through it.

Feel your pain. The process took 2 months to work itself out. I have no idea what the reason was, but I'm sure someone here is smart enough to resolve this.
    it could be on this upper-- something partially obstructing the gas port. or there is a chance the port itself might not be drilled large enough. no way to know without pulling the FSB off and taking a look.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak update

opening up the gas portto the next size seems to have fixed the upper. i fired about 200rounds of assorted wolf, brown bear, re-loads, silver bear mil-surp and not as much as a hiccup.

disclaimer -!!do not try this at home!!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    disclaimer -!!do not try this at home!!
    Why? It is a common fix. The carbine length gas system tends to be very picky.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Excellent!

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Good job!

Feedback Score

The CAR-15 gas port size has always been a bit small supposedly to minimise wear on the action. Sometimes simply changing the recoil spring and buffer to a good mil-spec item will do the job.

Going up two or three number drill sizes is the conventional fix for the balky CAR-15. This is an old issue from the past.

VD

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Default picking fun at the mallninjas

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    Why? It is a common fix. The carbine length gas system tends to be very picky.
    i was picking fun at all the mall-ninja AR gurus!!

Feedback Score

I wish I was rich enough to be a Mall-Ninja AR Guru. Great job on the upper. I do not believe I am brave enough to re-drill my barrel. Folks here have way more tools that my wife would let me have. You all must be married to saints.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I wish I was rich enough to be a Mall-Ninja AR Guru.
    They aren't rich either, just read a bunch of stuff about the AR and act like you know everything, then you'll earn your Mall Ninja badge. LOL

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

PS

i only went up one drill size on the 7.62x39 as it was very close to working to start with.

the gas tube enlargement is not hard. in fact it is a bit too easy to get the port too large if your not paying attention to the details.

lucky me i have a $25 pawn shop set of bits that has about 500 bits from hair size on up so it was pretty easy to go up one size larger with a very small increase in size.

the hard part for me was getting the pins out of the front sight base without hurting anything. i had to press one out with my 20t press!! the other came out with the aid of a 3lb sledge!!

now i know why someone invented the bolt on gas block!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.